Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
HDMI
veechee
Accepted Solution

Bug Report: ThinkVantage System Update v4.01.0015 & Short

I opened a case with support last week because I was having an extreme amount of trouble getting Lenovo ThinkVantage System Update to work on two new ThinkPad T420s machines running Windows 7 Enterprise x64.  Nobody from Lenovo has yet called me back to discuss the case further (I was told it was being escalated to Level 2 support), but in the meantime I found what the issue was.

In our company domain I have an NTFS filesystem setting set domain-wide which disables the generation of long filenames.  This is a "Best Practice" setting for file servers, but I rolled it out company wide several months ago as it actually improved the experience with a piece of old software written for Windows XP (it forces the program not to truncate the filenames to short names when you double click to open them).  For more info see here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff633453%28v=ws.10%29.aspx.

Up until last week, on the other Lenovo systems I had installed since enabling the policy, I had apparently run ThinkVantage System Update prior to joining the computer to the domain.  However, for these two new systems I joined it first.  ThinkVantage System Update installed and downlaoded the updates just fine, however, once it began to install, it would fail to install any updates.  I now forget the exact error message...

After trying all the other fixes found on the forums to no avail, I looked closely at the logfiles and saw installation lines referencing shortened filenames.  So that made me decide to try change the NTFS filesystem policy.  After doing so, update installation still failed... So then I removed and reinstalled ThinkVantage System Update.  Immediately after doing that, the installations began to work.  And after TVSU is on, I can put the short filename setting back to the way it was and installations will continue to work in the future (my own laptop is a ThinkPad with this setting on and installs have worked for months).  So there is something in the TVSU installer which does not configure properly without short filenames.

I hope identifying this issue can lead to a fix being released.  Short filenames should not be required for software to run in 2012!

Lenovo Support: It sure would be nice to get a call back.  I called last Thursday and I was told it would be 24-48 hours but so far no call.  

someotherguy

Re: Bug Report: ThinkVantage System Update v4.01.0015 & Short

Thank you for reporting the issue here.  We will investigate it.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

We were able to reproduce this issue after setting NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=1.

Now we will work with the development team to see whether this issue can be fixed in System Update and when.

HDMI
veechee

Thanks a lot for your quick investigation and verification!
someotherguy

veechee,

Talking to the TVSU team, it does not seem like there is any opportunity to fix this issue quickly.  I think it can fixed sometime later this year, but I can't say exactly when.  It is more of a logistical issue than anything else - the team is already busy working on other things.

However I did confirm that as long as TVSU is installed first, and the policy is configured after that, then TVSU should continue to download and install updates as expected.  I think you already discovered that on your own also. 

Knowing this, is it possible for you to continue to deploy your systems this way, for now (e.g. install TVSU first, and then join the domain)?

Sorry for this hassle...

HDMI
veechee

Hi there,

I hope it won't be too long!  This changes how I have to build the systems.  If I was using a system image that joined the domain on install (I'm not right now), this would be a much larger inconvenience.