Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jpiemont

Caanot get Past Disk 1 of Rescue/Recovery- T40

Trying to install a replacement hard drive in my son's T40 (2374-2CU) and bought and paid for the appropriate Rescue and Recovery CDs from IBM.  I cannot seem to get beyond disk 1.  It messages me to insert Disk #2 of 4, I insert it in the CD drive and it tells me "the media does not contain the correct file" - how can that be?  I have the right R&R disks, so what next?

Jeff

Fanfold Paper
Eqwatz

Re: Caanot get Past Disk 1 of Rescue/Recovery- T40

Did the drive open when the disk was requested?

Did you hear the drive spin up and search for a file after inserting the 2nd optical disk?

How good is the drive?  Did it seem to have any trouble reading the first disk?

If the drive is in good shape, and it didn't seem to search the 2nd disk, try the others as well--it might be a typo in the script.

[It has been a long time since I used official restore media; I don't remember the layout of the disk set.]

Ctrl-Alt-Del
jpiemont

Re: Cannot get Past Disk 1 of Rescue/Recovery- T40

Drive opened as it should; spun up, can hear the head moving back and forth; drive worked fine reading Disk #1 (and has in past (with old Hard drive still installed) worked fine); tried Disks #3 and 4 and - after both spun up and there was some reading activity / clunnking - result was same message.  Anyone from Lenovo/IBM have any ideas?  It annoys me that I bought the R&R disks and STILL can't change out a drive.

Jeff

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: Cannot get Past Disk 1 of Rescue/Recovery- T40

Sometimes the disks themselves are faulty, so you should call Lenovo/IBM service and tell them that their disks don't work and get a new set sent to you.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft