Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
susb8383

Can't Delete R&R Backups

I know I've seen this posted a lot, but I didn't find anything that solved my problem.

I'm using R&R 4.0 with Windows XP. I have deleted backups in the past without a problem. This time I first went to the Backup function and got the message about needing to increase space. So then I went to the Advanced screen to try to delete some backups.

I just get the hourglass with Please Wait while Backups are Being Deleted. After about 30 minutes, I killed the process.

In other posts I've read that you can fix this by deleting all backups at once (I have three). But in the version of R&R I'm using, you can't do this. They no longer have a checkbox next to each backup so that you can select multiples. Instead they have a separate delete button next to each backup, so you can only delete one at a time.

I also read that I should delete the oldest first, but this is what I tried to do and it didn't work.

I tried pretending I wanted to do a backup so that I could increase the space when prompted, then cancelled it and went back to delete backups. No change.

I have not changed versions of ThinkVantage.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Susie

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

Re: Can't Delete R&R Backups

if you just need to increase the backup space you can do that by going into the set schedule & preferences max. is 99GB

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
What's DOS?
susb8383

Well, that might allow me to make backups for now. But at some point I'll need to delete the old ones, so if something is wrong, I'd rather get it resolved before I make any more backups.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

SInce the backups are incremental, IIRC you have to delete the newest first.

You  may still not have enough space to do that.  I haven't run into this problem myself, but my impression is that the insufficient space problem refers to total disk space, not the space allowed for backups.  Is your drive getting full?  Can you do a drive cleanup and maybe delete old restore points?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

802.11n
emmjay

When the hour glass comes up, open task manager/resource monitor and look at CPU ... is R+R no longer responding (it will be in red)? If this happens it is an R+R error that you can not fix (Lenovo has to fix it). Just cancel the process. The inability to delete backups started with the latest rel. of R+R.
T23: 2647-8RU, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
A61E: 6418-12U, W7/Pro 64
X200: 7454-CTO, W7/Pro 32

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

[ Edited ]

you may want to consider an external harddrive to move your backups to if you make backups often there is an option in R & R for that

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

in case something is not possible to do via RnR GUI, then try to use the command line tools, like rrcmd.

For more info see following Deployment guide:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-73446

I don't want to describe it, because that would be a long time term situation.
But I can tell, that using the command line tools you can do almost anything, that is possible in GUIS and more.

Cheers