Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
jivelasquezt
Accepted Solution

Can't restore my system on new computer using rescue and recovery

Hi there,

Yesterday I got my Thinkpad Edge stolen from my apartment. I had been keeping backups of my system on external USB HDD  using lenovo's rescue and recovery tool. Today I got a new Thinkpad edge and been runing the rescue and recovery tool but I am unable to see my backups. What can I do? How do I recover my info? Please HELP!

Jorge

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Can't restore my system on new computer using rescue and recovery

You have to boot into the rescue environment by pressing F11 at the BIOS screen, then choose advanced mode, then click on the checkbox that lets you see all your backups.

You cannot restore a backup that was created on another computer, from within windows.  This is why you have to boot into the rescue environment.

Fanfold Paper
jivelasquezt

How awesome that you took the time to answer and that you knew the answer. THANK YOU! I called lenovo support and they told me that if I didn't see the backups they were gone for good...that I had probably not saved them properly in the first place. I went to 2 computer technicians who were charging me as much as $400 and weren't sure they could fix the problem. The key thing in your answer, was "click on the checkbox that lets you see all your backups"...I had missed that before. 

So now I'm finished running a full system restore. However, now when I power up my machine it tells me that the operating system is missing. Is there anyway to fix that? My previous machine was a thinkpad edge 14, this one is a thinkpad edge e420...is that why is not recognizing the operating system? In the meantime, I'm again running the rescue and recovery software from a CD to copy the files in the restored local hard drive to an external location...hope that made sense.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

The systems would need to be identical to be able to restore a backup from one system to another and then boot it successfully.  Too many drivers and other things are different.  What you are doing is the best way to get your files.  If it's just a few files that you need, R&R has an option to pull single files out of a backup.  But this is really slow, so it's not practical if you need thousands of files.