Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
jskang

Cannot create product recovery media (T500 w/ Vista Bus. Pro x32)

An interesting situation. I have a T500 (2082-5xu) that was purchased with an XP downgrade installed. It also came with a set of Vista Business recovery discs as well. I recently wiped out my XP install and installed from the provided Lenovo Vista installation discs. I am attempting to go through the "Create Product Recovery Media" utility to create a(nother) set of recovery discs but when I get to the point where I'm supposed to select the recordable drive, the drop down list is blank. So, I can't progress past this point.

Does anyone know if this is intentional (since I installed from a set of Lenovo-provided discs) or if there's a problem with this particular application ("C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Factory Recovery\recovburncd.exe")?

I am able to run the "Create Recovery Media" utility without problems.

I tried a search but didn't find anything obvious in the results.

Serial Port
jskang

Re: Cannot create product recovery media (T500 w/ Vista Bus. Pro x32)

Actually, it looks like I'm having the same problem with the "Create Recovery Media" utility, too.

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

try to reinicialize your recordable media in following way:

- go to Device Manager

- right click on the recordable media->Uninstall

- confirm the uninstallation

* reboot the machine <this will trigger the system to reinicialize this drive and after the system starts up, it will automatically install the driver>

- after the system starts, go to device manager, just to check, if the drive is detected

- try to start the program again

I have seen this situation multiple times before, and in mist situations, this worked, so please let me know if it make any change for  you.

Cheers

Serial Port
jskang

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try when I have a chance to restart my computer.

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

ok, cool. let me know, if you have any udpate.

Cheers

Paper Tape
kbnikto

I'm having same problem with S20, Windows 7. Tried to uninstall DVD drive. It re-installs on boot up. Still no devices in the drop down box in Create Recovery Media.

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

try to make a reinstall of the RnR and the Product update program.

Just go to Add/Remove programs and do a reinstall. (Don't upgrade for now, just do an upgrade)

I'm a bit surprised, as this worked by all the previous posts. However, this might be some configurations problem.

Let me know, if the reinstall will work.

Cheers

Paper Tape
kbnikto

Only option from Programs and Features (Win 7) was to uninstall. I ininstalled RnR. I again deleted DVD burner. I uninstalled ThinkVantage. Reinstalled RnR, and ThinkVantage. On bootup, OS found and reinstalled DVD. Still no device choice when trying to create factory recovery disks. Any suggestions?

Steve

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Dammmm...

That is strange. Have you tried to dissable Antivir?

I'm a bit out of ideas.

If anyone experienced this one and find some other fix, then I did, please post it here.

Cheers :smileysad:

Paper Tape
kbnikto

I found a way around it. I hooked up an IDE DVD burner using a Bytecc USB to IDE/SATA adapter. That drive was recognized by the RnR software and I was able to create the Factory Recovery Disks. Thanks for the help.

Steve