Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo
Accepted Solution

Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

All,

Changes to TVSU are being announced today on the support site.

Please take a few moments to click the link above and review the changes and the manner in which you will obtain drivers, bios, and other updates in the future.

Thank you.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Blue Screen Again
drskhan

ThinkVantage System Update & T400

Dear Lenovo Expertise,

Currently I am experiencing "cat & mouse" behaviour b/w system update utility & online database of drivers/downloads for T400.

On the web site it shows some new versions, whereas system update displays that my system is upto date.

Whats going on?

Dr. Khan

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

Re: ThinkVantage System Update & T400

It may take a little while for new drivers/software which is released for public download through the Lenovo Support web site pages to be scheduled for distribution via the automated update mechanism (currently Software Update 3.14) .

This has been the case for as long as I have been using ThinkPads (since the 600 series era).

If you have a specific need to be as current as possible, nowadays you can subscribe to an RSS feed from the relevant product support page which will let you know as soon as something new gets posted there.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Blue Screen Again
drskhan

Re: ThinkVantage System Update & T400

Dear Lenovo,

I am not an expert. Simply a professional doctor.

BUT i can very well observe that ThinkVantage System update is no longer providing me updates. It always say "System is upto date".

Whereas the web site shows that new updates are out since 3-4 wks.

Besides even if no updates are available with ThinkVantage System update, its particular "interface" of three colums with tab headings like "critical" updates, "recommended" updates & "accessories/upgrades" are not there. These tabs are not there.

What to do?

Rest of the system is working fine.

Fanfold Paper
cvantilborg

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

Mark,

Is there any reason why Lenovo would do this? That software has always been a big positive in Lenovo's favour when compared to other system vendors.  By elminating Lenovo is removing one more reason to chose them. 

Corey V

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Hi Mark:

I personally won't have any problems with the elimination of TVSU, but I do agree with the comment made above - I think that TVSU has been a distinguishing feature of IBM and later Lenovo products for a long time, it adds considerable value to the computer (which is otherwise just a fungible thing, like buying gasoline), and I don't think it is Lenovo's long-term best interest to eliminate it.

One of the reasons I have always told family members (who are not computer enthusiasts) to buy Lenovo products is because they 'maintain themselves' via TVSU.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Punch Card
FeanorLobelia

This is baffling. No doubt it's a cost cutting decision but frankly I'd rather see Access Connections go than system update. A real shame.
Fanfold Paper
rYugen

Well looks like it's not because of aprils fools day ... to be honest on 1 side i think its gonna be better without the System Update because people won't have so many problems with their running systems because they wont be tempted to try new software ( a la AC 5.21...) but on the other hand it's good for people who don't really know much about computers and stuff like that...
Punch Card
SectorStar

[ Edited ]
Are you freaking kidding me, EVERYTIME I wana check for updates I now have to manually  select 4-5 drop down boxes and do it EVERYTIME to check something. Well I think I know of what brand of computer I'am NOT buying next if things like this are going to keep getting pulled.
Message Edited by SectorStar on 03-31-2009 06:10 PM
Paper Tape
DummyPLUG

[ Edited ]

System update is the only one thing make me buy my Thinkpad.

Now, with Lenovo start to remove valuable service, I can't recommand Any Lenovo Product for my company and my Client.

really need to find some alternative now.

Message Edited by DummyPLUG on 04-01-2009 03:54 AM