Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
coladan1

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

So I tried to "reinstall" acceess help and that didn't work.  Any other ideas? 
Serial Port
vguinnane

System Update on T60p

When is the new messaging system supposed to in place for System Update?  I just checked and it is still saying that it will be available in May.  I didn't see any messages about it on the main page.

Vince

Vince
T60p, Model 8743CTO, CPU T7200 Core II Duo, RAM 2 GB, Mobility ATI
Punch Card
Moris

[ Edited ]

rchauhan wrote:
After installing Windows Vista SP2, I tried to run TVSU but get an error message at about 11%. "An error occurred while gathering user information."

The same here on my T61. Lenovo should address this problem related to TVSU compatibility with Vista SP2.

Message Edited by Moris on 05-28-2009 10:24 AM
T61 Vista Business SP2 2GB memory
zilla
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 14

[ Edited ]

rchauhan wrote:
After installing Windows Vista SP2, I tried to run TVSU but get an error message at about 11%. "An error occurred while gathering user information."

Neither TVSU nor Thin Installer work with Vista SP2.  You can download SPBlockerTools from Microsoft preventing Windows Update from installing SP2 for 12 months.
Message Edited by zilla on 2009-05-28 11:18 AM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Fanfold Paper
Jackboot

I just can't believe that Lenovo has ended this software..I cannot think of a a single good reason why they would do this.

Personally, one of the big reasons I have purchased thinkpads (7 so far) is because of the thinkvantage utilities that make arcane tasks easier and faster. Software update made an annoying task - updating drivers and software - so much less tedious and time consuming.

I can see that there has not been a huge backlash about the removal of this utility. However, I think the type of user that this decision affects most isn't likely to be vocal.

This is exactly the type of shortsighted coprorate decision that is driving customers into Apple's arms. Consumers want low hassle computing that "just works". Looking at driver matrixes and attempting to ascertain what package applies to which system followed by downloading, locating, and installing this package is beyond the capabilities of most consumers and an annoying hassle for those consumers that *are* tech savvy enough to perform such tasks.

Shame shame shame.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
zandis

I agree with most of the people here.. Its a shame that you ThinkVantage System Update (TVSU) are being discontinued.

It was one of the most important tools lenovo had..

Other ventors will now take advantage of this feature and offer it with !!!

VERY disapointed with the decision to  stop it...

Vacuum Tubes
Galaxer

[ Edited ]

For those who encounters the TVUR/ThinInstaller Vista SP2 issue: I hope Lenovo resolve it sooner or later, because the enterprise business will definitely not tolerate any stupid excuses. The problem is there are very few of them who uses Vista SP2 right now...

2 Zandis:

At the moment I should say I observing no quality decrease at the hardware side of TP's. The problem is the software support. But I am very afraid that the hardware problem will follow in massive...

From my conversation with IBM Support: they will try to express the customer concern to Lenovo upper staff but... You know. :smileymad:

Message Edited by Galaxer on 05-28-2009 02:22 PM
ThinkPad 2912-3AG Win 7 Pro 64/ 4 GB RAM / 128 SSD
14,1" SXGA+ - The Last Possible NOTEBOOK Size :smileyhappy:
Fanfold Paper
rchaud03

Does Lenovo have any plans to bring System Update back?

Or any sort of system update application for that matter? Having to look through the list of drivers on the webpage is annoying.
T60 WinXP Home
X61 Vista Business Tablet PC
Punch Card
Moris

zilla wrote:

rchauhan wrote:

Neither TVSU nor Thin Installer work with Vista SP2.  You can download SPBlockerTools from Microsoft preventing Windows Update from installing SP2 for 12 months.
Message Edited by zilla on 2009-05-28 11:18 AM

Well, this could be a solution, but since TVSU now doesn't work at all, with or without SP2, it would be better that Lenovo addresses both problems.

T61 Vista Business SP2 2GB memory
JaneL