Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
rtlinux

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

[ Edited ]

How about we leave forum moderators out of this.  I am sure it was not their decision to nix TVSU.  If you/we are really upset enough and want our voices to REALLY be heard everyone needs to call LENOVO customer support and complain.  Maybe then once call volumes go up enough someone will take notice.  This is just a forum not a call center.

Lets face it TVSU in its previous form is more than likely gone forever.  Lets compare this to GM, I am upset with them for nixing Pontiac and I doubt they will bring that line back after the economy rebounds.  I can only hope that the G8 will be rebranded into the Chevy linu up so I can still buy one when I am ready.  I just need to wait and see, much like we all need to do here with TVSU.  I know that the way this was done was REALLY POOR but it is done and that is that.  So stand up brush yourselves off and move on.

Message Edited by rtlinux on 05-28-2009 11:58 AM
Paper Tape
jdsboston

please post your technical questions in another thread.
SCSI Port
nmabakhsh

[ Edited ]

I'm extremely dissappointed as well, and TVSU was one of the main reasons I loved thinkpads, and why I always recommended them. I've been furious since TVSU has stopped working, but been to busy to do anything about it.

Just got this w500 machine, not sure what the next one will be after lenovo unexpectedly cuts us off from one of our perks.

I've been really busy for the past few months and haven't had a chance to install the new messaging thing, (ran system update last night and it still says run it again in may).

1. RSS - For those of you who use rss, you can subscribe to driver updates by RSS on http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do by giving your machine type. I just signed up and hopefully you can eliminate updates by date, instead of having to go through your driver info.

2. System update had a view where all the drivers firmware versions were displayed, is there anyway to get that functionality some other way?

3. We need to be heard- calls may just be ignored, and not everybody has time to make them. Emails can be ignored? - Maybe? Would they take notice of an online petition? Someone could start a site, take votes/poll/petition, limited to one entry per IP address, provide the link here, and stick at at the top of Google through seo. Questions which would be helpful to lenovo staff in making user friendly decisions and changes... I'm willing to help someone, or willing to chip in to hire someone to do this.

4. Why? What happened? - It would be helpful for us to know what caused Lenovo to make this change/decision. Was it to cut costs? Yes there is a credit crunch, and if that is the case, I'm not sure about anybody else, but I would pay a regular subscription for TVSU to keep working.

Somehow, we need to get lenovo's attention, help them find a way to hear and analyze our views to find the most efficient/usable option.  

5. Take the Survey - somebody pointed out, http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72207.html there is a survey on the right. Everybody needs to take it, send their views on updating system drivers to lenovo and hopefully they'll notice.

Message Edited by nmabakhsh on 05-29-2009 02:07 AM
Message Edited by nmabakhsh on 05-29-2009 02:08 AM
Fanfold Paper
luzifairy

Will Update Retriever + Thin Installer continue to work?

If so, I can live with the situation, I guess.

Although Update Retriever is extremely slow, if the repository is on my usb flash drive (20+ minutes)  :-(

kix
Fanfold Paper
kix

nmabakhsh: About your point 4:

4. Why? What happened? - It would be helpful for us to know what caused Lenovo to make this change/decision. Was it to cut costs? Yes there is a credit crunch, and if that is the case, I'm not sure about anybody else, but I would pay a regular subscription for TVSU to keep working.

When you bougth your Lenovo Laptop, the TVSU price was included. Why is neccesary to pay for it now?

I am waiting for a Lenovo response about this problem many many many days. I am tired of waiting for May to get new updates. May? what May? May-2009? May-2010? ... or you "may" wait :-)

Where is the Lenovo staff????? Please, only for education, reply!

zilla
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 14

luzifairy wrote:

Will Update Retriever + Thin Installer continue to work?

If so, I can live with the situation, I guess.

Although Update Retriever is extremely slow, if the repository is on my usb flash drive (20+ minutes)  :-(

Lenovo has stated to their corporate customers UR + SU will continue to work. But as neither SU nor TI run with Vista SP2 they will probably ship a new program replacing SU and TI but continuing to work with the current UR.

This could be the LANDesk based product they have indicated should be available in May, ie today. Note that Lenovo NEVER said they would resume supporting direct downloading to a single Thinkpad.

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Lenovo Employee
Omar

Lenovo System Update News (For our Customers) - Please read

People, Lenovo heard your voice!

I just received the following Info:

• Lenovo discontinued TVSU on March 31 for individual use
– High download volumes were taxing capacity and limiting performance
– High costs for download and infrastructure improvements
• We continued to support our business customers with UR
• We heard clearly that our customers highly value TVSU
• We are pleased to announce a new version of TVSU on May 31
– Must be manually launched each time updates are required
– Improved infrastructure performance
– UR tool continues uninterrupted for enterprise users
We value our customers’ feedback and appreciate their partnership

I think that just saved some weekends!

Best regards!

Oemer

Punch Card
Gondoland

Re: Lenovo System Update News (For our Customers) - Please read

Good piece of news from Lenovo, at last.

Congratulations everyone! :-)

I am eager to try the new version of TVSU and hope that, if not better, it will be at leat as good as the previous one.

And last but not least thanks to the guys at Lenovo for taking heed of what their customers say! 

Blue Screen Again
rtlinux

[ Edited ]

Oemer wrote:

People, Lenovo heard your voice!

I just received the following Info:

• Lenovo discontinued TVSU on March 31 for individual use
– High download volumes were taxing capacity and limiting performance
– High costs for download and infrastructure improvements
• We continued to support our business customers with UR
• We heard clearly that our customers highly value TVSU
• We are pleased to announce a new version of TVSU on May 31
– Must be manually launched each time updates are required
– Improved infrastructure performance
– UR tool continues uninterrupted for enterprise users
We value our customers’ feedback and appreciate their partnership

I think that just saved some weekends!

Best regards!

Oemer

That is good news!!  I will look for it Sunday May 31st.  Thanks.

Now can you fix UR so I can resize the window?  Minor I know but still a pain when multi tasking.

Message Edited by rtlinux on 05-29-2009 10:25 AM
Fanfold Paper
Jackboot

Well I had given up hope! If this is true then this is good news indeed.

I hope that in the future Lenovo makes decisions like this a bit more carefully. Not having TVSU even for a month was a hardship and should have been avoided.

Now, Lenovo, what about the 'custom' factory restore option in R&R? Will you please re-enable this?! :smileyhappy: