Support in other languages: 
Guru
hausman

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

billbolton wrote:

Just editing the relevant XML file to allow the gatherer to be executed on Vista SP2 does not address the issue of the what the tool is able to do with the information from the gatherer to determine which downloadables have been tested for a Vista SP2 environment.

There are a few utilities which TVSU with just an edited XML file may offer to Vista SP2 users which will not yet install under Vista SP2 , so this it is definitley not a works with Vista SP2 without any issues matter by any means!

And worse, if there are Vista SP2 issues with the stuff that TVSU downloads and tries unsuccessfuly to install, people will raise a hue and cry against Lenovo for not testing everything thoroughly enough. That would probably double the length of this already incredibly long thread. It seems Lenovo can't win in the eyes of some posters no matter what they do.

mixz1

hausman wrote:

And worse, if there are Vista SP2 issues with the stuff that TVSU downloads and tries unsuccessfuly to install, people will raise a hue and cry against Lenovo for not testing everything thoroughly enough. That would probably double the length of this already incredibly long thread. It seems Lenovo can't win in the eyes of some posters no matter what they do.

Well...they could have anticipated the uproar caused by discontinuing TVSU, not discontinued TVSU and began the qualification process for SP2 back when, oh let me see, Adobe, Corel, HP, Dell and the rest did. Just think. No 52 page discussion thread.  No disgruntled customers. No fleeing IT managers and consultants.

In terms of "Lenovo can't win", the abrogation of a trust relationship usually results in bruised feelings. It's going to take a long time for Lenovo to win back the trust of people like me who are responsible for the purchase and upkeep of widely disbursed systems. It's not a case of the home and small home office user breathing a sigh of relief over Lenovo's rude awakening. It's a question of can you trust a vendor who was so out of touch with their consumer base. It started with the infamous stereo mix removal and (I hope) it culminated here. Lenovo has not been listening to the market. That's a bad way to do business.

T520 4239-CTO
T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask
JaneL

[ Edited ]

All right, that's it.  We're into shoulda, woulda, coulda territory now.  That tells me that this thread has run its course, and I'm shutting it down.

To recap:

• The new version of TVSU was released on May 31.
  • It does not work with Vista SP2 or Windows 7
  • The next release is scheduled for mid-August and will support Vista SP2 and Window 7.
  • Per Mark, the development team is evaluating the feasibility of delivering an update to support Vista SP2 on an accelerated schedule.  We should have some updates on this effort in the next two weeks.
  • There is a user-created workaround to get TVSU to work with SP2, however Lenovo strongly recommends against this route and will not support it.  See bloo's sticky in this board for details.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Message Edited by JaneL on 06-05-2009 10:52 AM

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!