Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
JCW2

Disable Unnecessary Lenovo Processes?

I want to minimize running processes (and startups -- vijaysaradhi has already helped with the latter) on my Thinkpad T61 under Windows XP SP2.  (I have been told by tech. support NOT to install SP3 because it interferes with some Lenovo drivers -- System Update appears to be one of these, although that is apparently no longer supported by Lenovo.)

1) One approach is to ask which ThinkVantage and Lenovo value-added packages actually support build-in hardward (e.g., Active Protection System), as opposed to being "optional."  I would put Rescue and Recovery (which seems to spawn at least two running processes -- rrservice and rrpservice) in the latter category, since I use image-backup software, plus Microsoft Backup of the system state, to protect my system configuration.  (I would also put the Sonic CD/DVD recording software -- and its update service! -- in the optional category, since I am generally satisfied with a general-purpose burning program like CDBurnerXP.)  I was hoping that some ThinkVantage experts could help me identify the essential ones and show me how to safely eliminate of the others.

2) Another approach would be for me to post a list of running processes (screen capture from Task Manager) and a list of services (exported from Administrative Tools/Services -- VERY long) and ask the ThinkVantage experts which ones I might be able to live without.  Unfortunately I don't know how to attach files to a forum post.  If anyone is willing to look over such lists and offer suggestions (and can tell me how), I'd be happy to post them.

In general, my philosophy is that a cleaner machine is a better machine, and we all know that most manufacturers load their PCs with "bloatware" that just slows them down (or worse).  I also know, however, that Thinkpads are designed with many helpful features (as System Update USED to be) that should be saved.  Any recommendations on what to disable, delete, or uninstall would be much appreciated. -- JCW2

SCSI Port
JCW2

Re: Disable Unnecessary Lenovo Processes?

>>I was hoping that some ThinkVantage experts could help me identify the essential [ThinkVantage and Lenovo value-added packages] and show me how to safely eliminate of the others.<<

For what it's worth (in the absence of any expert guidance), I undertook a wholesale uninstall of Lenovo bloatware(?) through Add/Remove Programs, with notes as follows:

Client security solution -- already done long ago, together with Norton Security Suite teaser (replaced by ZoneAlarm Security Suite licensed)

Access Connection -- also long ago in order to use Windows XP wireless configuration

Lenovo Registration

Lenovo System Toolbox -- uninstall did not work, just removed entry in Add/Remove Programs list

Presentation Director

Record Now Audio, Copy, and Data

Remove MultiMedia Center -- trying to remove this appears to do nothing

Rescue and Recovery (I had already made my Product Recovery Set)

Sonic DLA, Express Labeler, and Icons for Lenovo

Sonic Update Manager -- This is the one that was really annoying me: You can't turn it off!

SoundMAX -- This was my only obvious mistake, since it disabled the digital-audio hardware by removing the drivers.  I ended up downloading these drivers again from the Lenovo driver matrix, which restored SoundMAX.

Thinkpad Keyboard Customization Utility -- This didn't seem to disable any of the useful function key combinations...

ThinkVantage System Update, which I understand from this forum is no longer functional anyhow.

I haven't noticed any problems, except with SoundMAX, so far.  I HAVE noticed a significant decrease in the number of running processes.  I'm looking at Services now, but they don't seem to have been reduced as much.  (I don't really understand how most of them got started in the first place; they aren't listed under the RunServices registry keys.  Maybe I have to disable some of them manually after the corresponding uninstalls??)

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. -- JCW2

SCSI Port
JCW2

FYI, in the previous message I neglected to mention some other Lenovo stuff that I had previously uninstalled, apparently with no ill effects:

Productivity Center

Message Center -- eliminates those annoying on-screen bulletins

-- Re. above, I see that "On Screen Display" (apparently connected with Lenovo messages) is still listed in Add/Remove Programs, but I haven't seen any ill effects.  Any ideas?

Easy Eject

System Migration Assistant

Productivity Center Supplemental for Thinkpad

Intervideo WinDVD Creator -- I'm using CDBurnerXP

-- JCW2

Ctrl-Alt-Del
majormajor

I've disabled nearly all the Lenovo "bloatware" mentioned here from my T61.  I'm running XP SP3 with no probs. 

I kept the "client security solution" because I want to be able to activate/deactivate the "security chip."  Does the "security chip" actually provide any security, or is it just a BIOS password?

SCSI Port
JCW2

>>Does the "security chip" actually provide any security, or is it just a BIOS password?<<

Thanks for your reassurance.  I couldn't pry anything out of Tech. Support.

Unfortunately I've no idea the answer to your question.  Maybe if you post this question directly somebody here will answer.

(In general I found it difficult to discover what the various Lenovo add-ons do and how to use them.  I found it impossible to learn what hardware most of them support -- if any.)