Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
MTUser2009

Easy Way to Get Encryption Type from Unknown Access Point for Access Connections?

With the MS provided wireless access connections protocol in XP, all you need is the encryption key. XP can use this to connect fine. The drawback of using XP to control wireless access is its inability to automatically figure out the best way to connect when a choice is available.

Access connections works well in an environment where hardwired and wireless are available. If you disconnect an ethernet cable, it will automatically connect via wireless.

But outside of the environment like an office where you are provided all the encryption protocols, WPA2, TKIP, key, Access connections is very hard to use unless there is no encryption.

Recently, I was only given a key, but nothing else. I tried every permutation I could  think of with the various security protocols, but could never connect. I was almost to the point of uninstalling Access Connections.

Is there a way to pull the security protocol in use out of Access Connections so you can set it correctly, or some other way to enter only the key and be successful?

T60p 8743-CTO, 8742-W7W, 8741-C4U
All T7600, 3GB, 15.4" UXGA, XP Pro SP3
Lenovo Staff
LANOgre

Re: Easy Way to Get Encryption Type from Unknown Access Point for Access Connections?

Are you sure the key is right?  There really aren't that many combinations, it should either be WEP (64 or 128 bit 64 will be 5 characters and 128 will be 13 characters), WPA-PSK/TKIP, or WPA2-PSK/AES.  On the outside they might be doing a weird combination of WPA-PSK/AES or WPA2-PSK/TKIP.

Beyond that, you are getting into RADIUS authentication, which a simple key won't work for.

Fanfold Paper
MTUser2009

Re: Easy Way to Get Encryption Type from Unknown Access Point for Access Connections?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am sure the key was right. Someone else who was using a dell and XP connected just fine.

Do I take it then that the problem I describe is a design feature of Access Connections - not a bug, and there is no work around? You have to either know the protocol or figure it out by trial and error?

T60p 8743-CTO, 8742-W7W, 8741-C4U
All T7600, 3GB, 15.4" UXGA, XP Pro SP3
Lenovo Staff
LANOgre

Worked like a champ for me...

Running AC v5.33 with Intel 5100 v13.0.0.107 driver. XP SP3

Open AC and double click on the icon for the network I want to connect to.

It prompts me for password and connected.  Tested it on WPA2-PSK/AES and WPA-PSK/TKIP networks.

WEP network was not able to automatically connect, but since the above two work, it's really the only option left.

You maybe running a different wireless card, which could change the behavior....