Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
patings

Error when making an image backup to external harddrive: Files on Z-drive unable to access.

[ Edited ]

Hello, this is the 3rd time I have this problem. Every time after a major Windows (mine is Vista) update R&R does no longer work.

When I start to create a full image back-up I get some 2 times 5 error messages saying something like: Unable to access or copy to/from

5 times the message z:\tvtos\winpe.wim      error 1393 = disk structure problem er something

5 times the message z:\Preload\drivers\E1e5032.SYS  Error 5 no access

I may or may not get a message: " Fcopier MFC application is not functioning" (during the copy to/from z: ),

then after 30 minutes the backup gets cancelled automatically.

I assume the Z disk is a virtual memory disk.

I had stopped my virusprotection, firewall software.

I have run this as Administartor

The problem is the same when I run the R&R as Administrator ( I am).

Then after tens of minutes the backup operation gets automatically cancelled.

I have not been able to find a fix for this problem, but before it was fixed by a Lenovo R&R update.

Thanks,

Ctrl-Alt-Del
patings

Re: Error when making an image backup to external harddrive: Files on Z-drive unable to access.

Well no takers from Lenovo ?

The problem is still there. I can not create a System Backup.

There has not been a Lenovo system update to repair this bug while the Thinkvantage Toolbox is reporting that no backup has been made for so many days ...... I just can't make one.

Help,

Ctrl-Alt-Del
patings

Re: Error when making an image backup to external harddrive: Files on Z-drive unable to access.

Well, why is it that Lenovo does not take customer problems serious ??

The Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox issues a warning message:  No system backup has been made in the last 197 days.

The backup process was cancelled 20 times.

Wel this is because of this problem. The backup still does not work and after 15 minites or so the process gets cancelled.

LENOVO SUPPORT PLEASE TAKE THIS PROBLEM SERIOUS; LIKE YOUR OWN TOOLBOX ADVICES ME, AND SUPPLY ME WITH A FIX. YOU HAVE FIXED IT BEFORE SO IT IS A KNOWN PROBLEM. PLEASE FIX THIS AGAIN.

Thank you ever so much   .... already waiting for 197 days.......

Ctrl-Alt-Del
patings

LENOVO SUPPORT PLEASE TAKE THIS PROBLEM SERIOUS; LIKE YOUR OWN TOOLBOX ADVICES ME, AND SUPPLY ME WITH A FIX. YOU HAVE FIXED IT BEFORE SO IT IS A KNOWN PROBLEM. PLEASE FIX THIS AGAIN.

Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox warning: You have not made a backup of your system for 200 days.......

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

here is the thing:

When you are doing windows updates, especially security and critical updates, then these updates are making changes to the core of the Operating system, which may and also usualy will affect the functionality of RnR and any other backup tool.
This is due to the fact, that RnR is cworking in more extendend way, then Ghost, or any other similar tools, that are handling a backup as one part, where RnR is calculating all the files and make extendend calculation.

From the basic point of view, this should be more then enogugh as explanation. Therefore I would not advice to make security updates to the systems, when you make a RnR backup.
Please note, that this is not just RnR related, but you can see this also by any other Backup application, that is calculating the separate files instead of the whole image as one entity.

According the Toolbox ...., just start TVSU and check what all updates are made for your system.

Cheers

Ctrl-Alt-Del
patings

Thanks for the reply.

However when I run the backup there will never be Windows updates in progress. I have a minimum of apps running when I backup.

I always install thee latest updates with TVSU, and have installed all updates now.

Unfortunately the problem still persist and I am sure Lenove will need to supply a fix to this problem as they did before.

Lenovo Toolbox Warning: No system backup has been made for the past 204 days

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

thank you for the update.

Please note, that to rely on the Toolbox is not the best idea, becasue the best is the use TVSU <ThinkVantage System Update>, as this is the most reliable option, that is exactly checking your system for the latest update.

Althought it may sound strange, but I would advice, so that you are no longer bothered with the information on the last update, then simply uninstall it. And use TVSU to keey your system up to date.

Unfortunately about the RnR Backup, I'm not sure, whant might be your exact situation, as I have just tried to reproduce at least , what I think is you situation, but I just cannot see any issue.

In case you provide some detailed description, then please let me know, so that I can  test it one more time.

Cheers

Ctrl-Alt-Del
patings

Well, the Toolbox is just a recent addition and reminds me of the failing RnR Backup. It de not bother me, the bothering part is the failing of R&R.

The Toolbox looks nice but I do not realy use it.

I do use the ThinkVantage RnR Backup however. That is I used it and want to use it again.

The problem detail are in my very first message in this threadth and are the same as about one year ago.

The same problem returns, probably due to changes in Vista that require updates in the LTVR&R Backup software.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
patings

[ Edited ]

Lenovo Toolbox Warning:

No system backup has been made for the past 212 days..   and counting  :smileymad:

I really do not understand this Lenovo support attitude. How can anybody that is customer focused and enjoys his/her job, just fully ignore a customer problems ?? :smileymad:

Only one retired employee that is interested (thanks for that) but can not do much.  :smileysad:

Paper Tape
allinger

I have encountered nearly the same problem as you and is still existing :

In my case it appears, that it is a function called br_funcs.exe (from lenovo) which does not work.

However, if you go onto the lenovo-site, there under downloads you can find the updates :

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4Q2QAK

..don't forget the C-builder from windows....

perhaps using rescue & recovery 4.21 might help....

Hope this might help