Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
hooklee

Failed to update ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery due to a missing file "spmtr.exe"

[ Edited ]

Today I tried to update my ThinkVantage System, but the laptop was accidently restarted when ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery was being updated. After the laptop was restarted, I ran the update program again and the ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery couldn't be updated when the progress went to 91%. The following error was displayed on the screen:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\hooklee\AppData\Local\Temp\{7E4C16BB-8F76-4940-8505-98E93C00B...\spmtr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I restarted my laptop and re-executed the update program several times, but the same problem alwasy occured. Probably due to the failure of ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery, now my ThinkVantage Productivity Center cannot run, either.

I looked into the directory "C:\Users\hooklee\AppData\Local\Temp" and noticed that there was no such a sub-directory at all. I searched the Internet on google with the keyword "spmtr.exe", but only two Chinese pages about the same problem (without solution) were found.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem or provide some clues about a possible solution? Thanks in advance for your help.

Message Edited by hooklee on 08-25-2008 10:42 PM
Message Edited by hooklee on 08-25-2008 10:43 PM
Paper Tape
chrs

Re: Failed to update ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery due to a missing file "spmtr.exe"

I had the same problem occur.

hooklee wrote:

Today I tried to update my ThinkVantage System, but the laptop was accidently restarted when ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery was being updated. After the laptop was restarted, I ran the update program again and the ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery couldn't be updated when the progress went to 91%. The following error was displayed on the screen:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\hooklee\AppData\Local\Temp\{7E4C16BB-8F76-4940-8505-98E93C00B...\spmtr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I restarted my laptop and re-executed the update program several times, but the same problem alwasy occured. Probably due to the failure of ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery, now my ThinkVantage Productivity Center cannot run, either.

I looked into the directory "C:\Users\hooklee\AppData\Local\Temp" and noticed that there was no such a sub-directory at all. I searched the Internet on google with the keyword "spmtr.exe", but only two Chinese pages about the same problem (without solution) were found.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem or provide some clues about a possible solution? Thanks in advance for your help.

Message Edited by hooklee on 08-25-2008 10:42 PM
Message Edited by hooklee on 08-25-2008 10:43 PM

Ctrl-Alt-Del
MisterTablit

Re: Failed to update ThinkVantage Rescure and Recovery due to a missing file "spmtr.exe"

Same problem here, the end of a cascading set of craptacular Thinkvantage software problems. Started after I needed to do a system restore. Thereafter, I would get non-stop nagging from various thinkvantage programs crashing (and informing me about it) every 10 seconds or so. First it was

updatemonitor.exe.

then rrservice.exe (I think that was it.)

now this one.

Lenovo's software is some of the buggiest bloatware I've ever encountered. Love the machine, but my wife just got one and I'm getting rid of nearly all  the lenovo stuff before she even starts. It slows the thing down incredibly (and this is a new thinkpad x61 tablet)

Best of all, I can't even get rid of this junk and start over. Trying to uninstall it gives me this message: "error 1721. There is a problem with this windows installer package. a program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or vendor."

Of course, contacting lenovo is impossible, unless, as I understand it, you want to shell out a wad of cash for support on a computer that, at 6 months of age, should at least come with a few phone calls...

Ctrl-Alt-Del
MisterTablit

Oh, and by the way, I tried uninstalling this malfunctioning junk in safe mode as well. That didn't help either.

Going to try another couple of reinstalls, i guess. Not much other choice.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
MisterTablit

careful reinstalls of rescue and recovery and system update do nothing. Rescue and recovery simply won't run. double click, quick pointer spin, then NOTHING.

System Update gets stuck in a loop claiming: A problem occurred while loading the System Update configuration settings. Please wait while System Update restarts."

Ugh.

Looks like it's manual updates (probably much safer anyway) and Acronis True-image backups. That's too bad, as I like being able to launch a backup from the drive via the blue button, since this machine doesn't have a disc drive built in.

If anyone else has been through this particular Lenovo Hell, I'd love some pointers.