Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
bobrock
Accepted Solution

Firefox 3.6 and future add-on updates of Password Manager

[ Edited ]

Hello to all Thinkpad users,

I am starting this thread in order to encourage you people who are using lenovo's fingerprint reader with Password manager add-on for  Firefox.

Firefox 3.6 is just around a corner, and we are left in dark without an update of compatible Firefox add-on.

The previous thread "Firefox  3.5 PM compatibility  Saga" is not an encouraging
reading.

However I hope all of you interested in Password Manager Update for Firefox 3.6  will reply to this thread and make it even longer than "Firefox  3.5 PM compatibility  Saga", so finally we'll be heard by lenovo and we'll get an update.

P.S. I am not a fan of conspiracy theories but this looks like an MS obstruction

Regards

______
T61 XP

Token Ring
mjdl

Re: Firefox 3.6 and future add-on updates of Password Manager

For a variety of reasons not involving the Password Manager, I'm still using Firefox 3.0.x.

As I understand it, the Lenovo Firefox PM extension uses, in addition to the usual Javascript files, a custom DLL executable to interface with the PM. Usually such binary extension DLLs also are built for a specific version of the Firefox toolkit XPCOM programming interface, which has changed between the firefox 3.0.x and 3.5.x lines of development, hence simply manually editing the Firefox version numbers found in the install.rdf file in C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Client Security Solution\PWM FireFox Extension probably won't work.

This really needs serious attention from Lenovo! Firefox 3.5.x has been released for months already.

I use the Firefox Password Manager, encrypting my online passwords with a Firefox master password: the Firefox password recognition and storage is better than Lenovo's. What I really want, is an option in the Lenovo Firefox PM extension that just prompts me for my fingerprint when the Firefox master password dialog appears, not for every website password!

Token Ring
thitiv

I installed FF3.6 last night and needed to immediately uninstall it because the Password Manager does not work. Editing the RDF file did not help.

Twitter @thitiv | Work | ThinkPad W520 (4270-CTO) Core i7-2960XM 2.7/3.7 GHz | 16GB Kingston HyperX PnP DDR3-1866
2 x 256GB Crucial M4 & C300 SSDs | Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 | Ericsson F5521gw WWAN | Ultrabay Blu-ray Burner
NVIDIA Quadro 2000M | 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 | ThinkPad Battery 55++ (9-cell) & Battery 27++ (9-cell slice)

Token Ring
mjdl

Look on the Lenovo support/downloads web site: there hasd been a recent patch installer for Thinkvantage Client Security 8.21 that includes support for Firefox 3.5.x

I have not installed it (still using firefox 3.0.x), so can't give you any assurance that it actually works.

Fanfold Paper
paddan

Anything official from Lenovo? We, 3.6-users, need a fix asap! :smileymad:

Serial Port
bobrock

Firefox 3.6

v.3.6, released January 21st, 2010 :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy:

So how long should we wait for updated PM add-on ?

My guess is month before  Firefox 4.0 (2010/2011 boundary)

So be patient :smileyvery-happy:

I hope I am TOTALY WRONG with my predictions

Cheers chaps

Blue Screen Again
mtech

I'm in same boat here.... Holding off on FF3.6 because I am (unfortunately) dependent on TVT Password Manager. I do run 3.5 with the hack from here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Password-Manager-incompatible-with-Firefox-3-3...

But that is old news.

What's DOS?
sigma1959

I have started using IE8 for Lenovo Password Manager. I would rather like to use Firefox though, but have to wait for Lenovo to fix this problem. Hopefully they will fix this ASAP.

Serial Port
bobrock

Well, there is a solution, unfortunately not from Lenovo :smileyvery-happy:

You need to get rid of Client Security 8.x in order to replace it with UPEK's Protector Suite 2009

I have successfully tested UPEK's Protector Suite 2009 with FF 3.5

On 22nd of January 2010 They have announced upcoming support for Firefox 3.6

Unfortunately this will cost you couple of bucks but hey, you can switch to FF 3.6 and use your fingerprint reader :smileyvery-happy:

Token Ring
mjdl

The UPEK Suite seems to require Windows 7, since it uses the Windows 7 Biometric Framework for non-UPEK fingerprint readers. I've sent a question to UPEK about pre-Windows 7 support, I'll update when/if I get an answer.