Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
jfatlenovo
Accepted Solution

For Recovery Media, what is "boot media" and "data media"

What is "Boot Media" and "Data Media" and what is the difference between the two?

I am asking because my ThinkVantage Toolbox is prompting me to "Create Recovery Media", and when I attempt to do so, it offers me the choice to create recovery "Boot Media" and/or "Data Media".  I would like to know what each is.  I have searched extensively but cannot find description of what they are and the difference between them.  Please advise:  what are they?

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: For Recovery Media, what is "boot media" and "data media"

jfatlenovo, welcome to the forum,

the difference is as follows; if you plan to create your backups using R&R to external network or hard drives the "boot media" will enable you to access these backups after booting from it.  ** Very important consideration; if you choose to make an external hard drive bootable this process will delete the files you already have stored on it - back it up first.

Creating boot media and "data media", which afaik can only be done to cd/dvd will create a set of so called "recovery discs" which will enable you to install a system to it's factory state; usefull if your hard drive dies, want to swap in a new drive before giving / selling the system on or have monkeyed around trying to create a multiple boot system and nuked your master boot record, (read some of the posts in these boards :smileywink: ). Best practice is to use 1 cd, for the "boot media" and then dvds for the rest, probably 2.  This is something you should do even if you can't think of, at the moment, a reason as to why you should do it. Better to do it now than regret not doing it later. :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

What's DOS?
Quiter

I have a question related to this topic. I am in the middle of creating Recovery Disc using Lenovo's software and Recovery Media asks me to put another empty disc into it. It's gonna be third in the row, so I started wondering if it's creating DVD Media to the factory state or additionally it's including my personal stuff?

Looking forward to quick respond.

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Quiter, welcome to the forum,

it'll be creating recovery discs to return the system to factory settings.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

What's DOS?
Quiter

Thanks a lot!

Actually, the installer had to put only few data on the third DVD. Not much, but it was necessary to complete the burning stuff :smileyhappy:

Core Memory
Josh_Tckf

Anybody get a "note: DVD-RAM not supported for disk 1" when making the "boot" media?

[ Edited ]

Hi All

First, thanks for these posts - they helped me out. 

I understand the steps to creating factory recovery discs, but as a newbie I don't exactly understand what's being written to them, or exactly under what set of circumstances I would use them, if ever.  From what I gather (and please correct me if I get it wrong), the following rules apply to factory recovery disks :

1.  Once you create the factory recovery discs, Windows deactivates the feature by which they're made, so you only get one chance to write them.

2.  They contain the operating system, all drivers, and all applications that Lenovo pre-installed (even the trial software) when customizing your system, so using the recovery disks will return your system to exactly the way it worked when you first got it. 

3.  You will never need to use the factory recovery discs unless your hard disk drive's Q: partition, labeled Lenovo_Recovery, becomes damaged.  In other words, the Q: drive partition is the complete factory recovery media, and the factory recovery discs are just a backup of it.

Also, I started up the Create Factory Disks application after reading Chapter 5 - Recovery Overview in the user manual a few weeks into using my ThinkPad T420.   I had only blank DVD-Rs, and the manual said Windows 7 allowed the use of discs or USB storage.  I then noticed the first window before burning the boot disc said, (paraphrasing from memory) "note:  DVD-RAM not supported for disk 1".  I almost canceled, but I inserted the DVD-R anyway and felt better about it when it gave me no error messages.  Then I read where Andy wrote

(AndyP):  ...Best practice is to use 1 CD, for the "boot media" and then dvds for the rest, probably 2

Question - do you think I will have to take my boot DVD and find a way to copy it to a CD?  Or would that even work?  I would appreciate anyone's thoughts/corrections on this.  Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Josh

Josh
ThinkPad T420
Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit
What's DOS?
job012

Hello, I selected just the checkbox for the boot media and the cd got burned succesfully, now that I wanted to burn the data media it pop ups a window that says: the files requiered by this programm cannot be found. To restart the computer, can I use only the boot disk? what am I losing by not having the the data media cd?

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Anybody get a "note: DVD-RAM not supported for disk 1" when making the "boot&quot

@Josh_Tckf

In reverse order:  your boot DVD should be fine as it is.  You can test it - just attempt to boot from it.  R&R should come up, and you can then exit before doing a recovery.

3) I'll add that some users accept the option to delete Q: and have the space added to C: after creating the recovery media.  Not damaged - intentionally deleted.

1 & 2) Yep.  There's a way to fiddle a file to restore the ability to burn recovery media again, IIRC.  I'd have to search for it.  If you are concerned about the media getting damaged, just copy your DVDs now.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Core Memory
Josh_Tckf

Re: Anybody get a "note: DVD-RAM not supported for disk 1" when making the "boot&

I tested the boot DVD like you said and it worked!  Thanks for the advice and the info about recovery.

-Josh
Josh
ThinkPad T420
Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit
Paper Tape
shunter

Re: Anybody get a "note: DVD-RAM not supported for disk 1" when making the "boot&

i made the factory recovery disk to USB stick rather than a disk, stupidly.  

can i just copy the files to a disk ? 

does that other disk have to be bootable? if so, is that easy to do?   or could one boot from the rescue media disk made in advanced rescue and recovery and then use the factory recovery disk, for example ?

the size is just 703mb which seems quite small for a windows7 backup - does that sound right !!

many thanks