Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
alexx

Re: For Recovery Media, what is "boot media" and "data media"

job012 wrote:

Hello, I selected just the checkbox for the boot media and the cd got burned succesfully, now that I wanted to burn the data media it pop ups a window that says: the files requiered by this programm cannot be found. To restart the computer, can I use only the boot disk? what am I losing by not having the the data media cd?

I'm hoping someone can answer this as I did a search in the Thinkpad E520 pdf user manual for "Lenovo Factory Backup" and found nothing useful. So I continued to make the recovery DVD and then it asked about a "data" DVD. Since the pc is brand new it doesn't have any "data" to be backed up yet, but reading this thread makes me think that when Lenovo talk about "data" they are meaning something totally different.

Searching the manual again for "recovery media" finds a little more, but I still doesn't tell me how many CD/DVD I will need and what each one will contain.

Inspecting this first DVD shows a hidden BOOT folder, a small hidden file BOOTMGR and a 300MB file WINRE.WIM so I'm guessing that isn't the whole Windows 7 operating system and what Lenovo refer to as "data" is actually the Windows Operating System (or some of it).

Blue Screen Again
alexx

Re: Anybody get a "note: DVD-RAM not supported for disk 1" when making the "boot&

[ Edited ]

shunter wrote:

i made the factory recovery disk to USB stick rather than a disk, stupidly.  

can i just copy the files to a disk ? 

does that other disk have to be bootable? if so, is that easy to do?   or could one boot from the rescue media disk made in advanced rescue and recovery and then use the factory recovery disk, for example ?

the size is just 703mb which seems quite small for a windows7 backup - does that sound right !!

many thanks

I'm led to believe that the process for booting a CD/DVD and for booting a USB drive is slightly different and you can't just copy the files. In the Linux world people use SYSLINUX for bootable drives and ISOLINUX for bootable CD/DVD and these are not quite the same. There is more to it than just copying files over.

There are a number of methods / programs available to convert a bootable iso (CDROM image) into a bootable USB (e.g. www.pendrivelinux.com ), but I think the reverse is rare.

Regarding your 703 MB is that your total?

In my case there was a bootable CD/DVD and 3 x Recovery Media DVD required, so 703 MB seems too small to me.

What's DOS?
aistec1

Re: Anybody get a "note: DVD-RAM not supported for disk 1" when making the "boot&quot

Hi Josh,

I wish I had read your post yesterday, about point number 1, you can only do this ONCE!!!

The first time I did it, I was told I could not  use DVD for the first disk, so I cancelled. Then the second time I got a CD for the first disk and when I inserted a DVD for the 2nd disk, I was told again I could not use DVD!!! But I only had a few CDs on hand and I was not sure whether those would be enough, so I cancelled again. The 3rd time I thought maybe I could try it on a USB drive first just to see how much space it really needed. But, but... the system hung during the 3rd time and after I forced it to restart, I couldnt' access that function any more!!! How stupid is that!? Now I'm left with a start-up disk only!

The space on the "Lenovo_Recovery" is still there. I'm wondering whether there is any way I can activate the procedure again? Can anyone or the moderator advise?

Thanks,

Alex

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Anybody get a "note: DVD-RAM not supported for disk 1" when making the "boot&

aistec1 wrote:

Hi Josh,

I wish I had read your post yesterday, about point number 1, you can only do this ONCE!!!

The space on the "Lenovo_Recovery" is still there. I'm wondering whether there is any way I can activate the procedure again? Can anyone or the moderator advise?

This might work for you: Boot Media

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Blue Screen Again
stuporglue

"The first time I did it, I was told I could not  use DVD for the first disk"

It actually says you can't use DVD-RAM. As noted by other people here non DVD-RAM DVDs work (DVD+R, DVD-R). DVD-RAM is a different type of DVD that apparently doesn't work with this backup process.

Punch Card
Jidong

Re: For Recovery Media, what is "boot media" and "data media"

Hi,

I have made the boot media and data media separately on CDs .But when I use the boot cd and want to recover my T410s to factory state,it prompted me to insert the disk1. I inserted the disk1, then it prompted me to insert disk2.Then I did, until the last disk. Then told me that it can't find the recovery.ini file. I checked the disk, there is the recovery.ini file,but in the factoryrecovery dictory. What's wrong with my disks?

Paper Tape
jayantsingh

Sir

i have a concern.i tried to create recovery disc using dvd's.

first i did only for boot media. after the process was over, i could see only one file on the dvd wth .wim file.

is that enough? i am confused abt this process.please help.

and next when i tried to create recovery disc for both data and boot media.again i saw only one file same as before.i am sure there is sth wrong.please help.

and can i try again?or do i get only one chance?

Broadband 3G
sclexman

(1) what is your machine type and model, ie, MTM?

(2) What operating system do you have installed?

(3) Is this a brand new machine?

(4) In windows disk management, do you see 2 volumes, ie, the Q and S drive?

==

The win8 create recovery is way different then win 7.  I will assume, for now, you are win 7.

The recovery set should be 3 DVDS.  Dvd 1 is the bootable standalone Facotry recovery system.  Dvd 2 and dvd 3 contain data used during the recovery. During recovery, you would boot to dvd 1, then it will ask for dvd2 and dvd3.

I suspect you MAY have a bad batch of DVDS.  Do you have 3 cd's available?   

Paper Tape
jayantsingh

Hello

1.it is  a lenovo thinkpad E531.

2.It has windows 7 installed .

3.yes i can see S drive and Q drive(recovery drive)

4.it is brand new.

i do have extra cd's. but i saw that the Q drive has size of 13 GB.  I am not sure will cd's be enough for that.

my actual concern is about the file. i saw only one file with .wim extension on my dvd after trying to recover.

I will really appreciate if you have any suggestions for me.

Broadband 3G
sclexman

[ Edited ]

I would call the support center and get FREE recovery DVD set in the mail. (you are  under warranty).

Go to www.nero.com.  Select downloads. On the bottom right is FREE TOOLS.  Download Nero Discspeed. This is a standalone .exec

Run discspeed.  Select the scan disk tab.  Scan  both of your DVD 1.  This software will check for errors. 

You are correct. DVD1 can be CD.  DVD2 and 3 should be DVD.

As noted above in earlier post,

DVD1:

should have a bootmanager folder, and winre.wim or wimpe.wim. (This is a virtual Windows pre-installation environment to drive the factory install).

DVD 2 and DVD 3:

Data files to refresh/ rebuild the Q driveS drive. 

===

Note: to see the hidden files on DVD 1:

Control panel>folder options>view  Under hidden files/folder punch the Show option

uncheck the hide protected operarting system files

The Q drive contains standalone RNR + factory recovery.  Only the Factory recovery is backed up, ie, less than 13 GB in size on DVD 1,2,3. .  The  RNR is recreated during install from compressed factory files.   The S drive has windows RE and probably bootmanager files/BCD.

=== 

Does your Create software exit, and nevers requests insert of DVD2?

I would check for HIDDEN panels, where you can not see the panel,... insert blank DVD. ((((2)))). ie, drag the Recovery panel around the desktop. -or- just insert a blank DVD and close the CD drawer.

===

Create Rescue media:

This is just a standalone RNR software bootable CD. Similar to what PF11 at boot time does. If you run RNR backup of C drive to DVD, this is the first DVD created in the backup set..... middle dvds... last DVD is called FINAL.

RECOVERY media: factory install

RESCUE      media: standalone RNR to be used mainly to restore a RNR backup of the C drive.

===

It does not make any sense to me that CREATE FACTORY media even offers a boot and/or data option.  This just confuses the end user. It should say: this will require 3 DVD's and can only be run one time due to licsensing agreement with Microsoft..