Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
perbuch

HELP! T61P/Vista Ultimate - rejuvination halts at least 6 h. at 0% trying to restore the system

[ Edited ]

Now I am really tired as I have tried to reinjuvinate my T61P. R&R succeeds in completing the backup procedure as the first step of the rejuvínation of my laptop but step 2 which is the restore of the system from a previous backup simply halts at 0% completion and after wating for 6 hours without any visible change I gave up.

Therefore, now I have initiated the system restore manually from my Aug. 2nd backup and then I have to restore my data from the rejuvination backup piece by piece. Sigh!

Can anyone explain the reason for my troubles and maybe a work around if it happens again?

Kind regards

Per

PS!  This is written on a tiny Acer laptop as my T61P is still restoring.

************* Later:

I got up too early this morning and by accident!  ;-)    Well, it was at 5 a.m. today I could recognize that the restore of the primo August had completed. Then I launched the restore of my actual data and that's appr, 40 GB - and then I went to bed again.

At 8 a.m. I got up for good and saw that the R&R had reached a 34% completion. It seems that there is no activity on the USB disk from where the data is restored and on T61P the green disk led only lights with a very little flickering. Now I am afraid that the restore has stopped again. Why should it take that long (more than 3 hours) to restore appr. 40 GB and why do the activities seem to have stopped?  :smileysad:

For how long should I be patient - and what is my alternative?

******** Later:

Now, the USB disk is alive againg but for how long? The completion percentage is still 34%.   OK, I will wait a little more!

.... waiting .... waiting ...

- and 90 min. later: it shows 37%.  HELP ME!!

If it continues at this speed then the process will last for at least additional 30 hours!!

********* a little later:
It has reached 43% completion.
I realize that I forgot to tell you that I launched the restore from the R&R screen after botting and pressing the blue button - ssimply to avoid that any files would be locked by another process. Should I have done it otherwise?
 ********* Later:
At 55% completion it has stopped again - apparantly. Why must it take that long? Is there any better way to manage my current backups?
********** 12 a.m. Aug. 18th.
7 hours after launcing the restore of my data it says 58% completion. I do miss access to my T61P!
 ********* 1 p.m. Aug. 18th
77% completion
********* 2:45 p.m. Aug. 18th
87% completion
********* 5 p.m. Aug. 18th
100% completed ....BUT!  ... then it started a new restore procedure and as it had reached 9% completion I got too tired and interrupted it.  Now I have started a manual restore almost file by file in a prioritized way - so, those files I need now should be restored first. It is very time consuming but I can see no other way.
I think that Lenovo must emphasize as soon as you try to implement a new version of RnR that your previous backups might be obsolete - meaning that then you need to restart by running a new total system backup.
A question to Lenovo could be: Should I move / remove my old backups before I run the new total system backup after upgrading my RnR????
Message Edited by perbuch on 08-18-2009 09:05 AM
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: HELP! T61P/Vista Ultimate - rejuvination halts at least 6 h. at 0% trying to restore the system

Hi,

as far as I can remmeber, this kind of issue mostly happens, when you captured the backups using a different version of RnR, then you currently try to restore. The basis is , that you need to use the very same version of RnR by restore, as by the backup capture. 

In case this is not your situation, I assume, this might be a situation of a corrupted backup files.

Rgrds

Serial Port
perbuch

Re: HELP! T61P/Vista Ultimate - rejuvination halts at least 6 h. at 0% trying to restore the system

[ Edited ]

Herik wrote:

Hi,

as far as I can remmeber, this kind of issue mostly happens, when you captured the backups using a different version of RnR, then you currently try to restore. The basis is , that you need to use the very same version of RnR by restore, as by the backup capture. 

In case this is not your situation, I assume, this might be a situation of a corrupted backup files.

Rgrds

Oh Herik!

That does not sound nice! Anyway, I have used the very same version of RnR, so whether the backup is corrupted!? Well, now it has completed 80% of the restore. Somehow if the backup is corrupted, that might be the reason for the restore to take so long. Has Lenovo documented that you need to use the very same version of RnR? - meaning that you need to restart your backup with a total system backup after RnR upgrade?

Anyway, maybe the best idea after I have made the system running again - I should move all the backup files (incl. the corrupt one[s]) to another USB disk and then start with a total system backup. After that I may run my normal backup routine. Doesn't it sound correct?

I have updated my first original text in this thread. Please look at the top. 

Thanks for your comments.

Kind regards

Per

Message Edited by perbuch on 08-18-2009 09:07 AM
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

yes, your description, with moving the backup to a different USB HDD and start a new Backup process sounds realy as the best idea. Just one note from me: In case you want to do it, fully delete all the current backups and then start the new backup process.

Based on you question, whether it's described somewhere that RnR can work correctly only with the same backuped version , please check the Deployment guid for RnR, where is also this and also many other usefull informations described.

Let me know, if you have any other questions on this topic.

Rgrds

Serial Port
perbuch

As I point out that the documentations lacks this information I just recommend that Lenovo will include it as soon as possible and at least as a very important information as you try to download / install an upgrade of the RnR software.

That will be the future solution to my issue!

Kind regards

Per