Support in other languages: 
DAF
802.11n
DAF
Accepted Solution

Help with Bios Password Reset Service

[ Edited ]

I am trying to use the Bios Password Reset Service for Power On password and Hard Drive Password. The current setting in the Bios is "Enabled, In Progress". The Bios sidebar help tells me that in order to complete registration for this function to open the Create Recovery Media application and "follow instructions". I am lost, there is nothing there about the Password Reset Service. I have already created the Recovery disks and even a Rescue Media disk.

I have found that in the Client Security Solution application, under the advanced tab there is a "Setup Hardware Password Reset" function but it is greyed out!

Since this function is available for selection in Bios shouldn't I be able to use it?

I am using the Windows logon password recovery function in Client Security with no problems.

Any ideas??

Thank you!!

Installed BIOS: 7LETC5WW (2.25-1.08) Release Date: 2009/01/08

Client Security Solution version: 8.20.0023.00

PS. I don't want to circumvent any passwords, I just want to activate the Hardware Password Recovery function in case I ever need it.

Message Edited by DAF on 02-09-2009 08:52 AM

E420, i5, 8GB, 500GB/7200, 32GB mSATA, Win 8.1 Pro x64
T61, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid, Win 8.1 Pro x64
DAF
802.11n
DAF

Re: Help with Bios Password Reset Service

UPDATE:
In case anyone cares, I was finally able to figure out how to activate the Hardware Password Reset feature in my T61. Here is the solution, at least in my case:

1)Found the file in Program Files->Lenovo->Client Security Solution->HwPwReset.exe

2)Ran the file and followed the instructions

3)A "Secure Environment" was created in the hardrive and the laptop restarted

4)The laptop booted into the Secure Environment where I was asked to establish 3 security questions and answers.

5)The laptop restarted and the status of the Pasword Reset function in BIOS changed to Registered.

Now if I ever forget the Power-on or Hardrive passwords all I have to do is press F12 on boot-up, select Password Reset option, answer my security questions and voila, passwords are reset or removed. Very nice!

BTW, I called Lenovo technical support twice and after talking to 3 "techs" and one supervisor they had no clue on how to do this. Go figure!

E420, i5, 8GB, 500GB/7200, 32GB mSATA, Win 8.1 Pro x64
T61, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid, Win 8.1 Pro x64
Paper Tape
sdbaby

I am having a similar issue. Evidently I set a different password for startup and one for supervisor. I tried removing the supervisor password within windows, it restarted, beeped twice and gave me the error "0191: System Security - Invalid remote change requested." So I am assuming the password I entered in the Client Security software in windows is wrong.

I remember when I set the original password, I created those question so I could reset the password if forgotten, like now! But every time I start the computer and enter the startup password I get that error. The same thing happens when I press the ThinkVantage button as well. Is there any way to restore the supervisor password based off my chosen questions without having to boot into the OS?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I am about to break this thing in half just to warrant buying a new one. 

Agotthelf
Topics: 135
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 182

[ Edited ]

Hello sdbaby, welcome to Lenovo forum!

Sorry about your situation, but forum rules prohibit any password bypasses.  You'll need to get relief from yourself.

Locking thread.

Edit:Typos

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 21-03-2009 01:35 AM

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español