Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
catman2u

Help with automating "System Update"

[ Edited ]
edit:
please help - who do I contact in Lenovo / IBM to get real help with this ?
this is a corporate project and I need to resolve this as soon as possible.
does anyone from Lenovo actually read this forum?
I've opend a support call in Lenovo's helpdesk (via email) but no reply except an automated one for... like a week.

help! help! help! we don't mind paying for it, we NEED to resolve this.

any help at all would be greatly appretiacted. please point me at the right direction?

sorry for this venting but really, I just need to get a move on this already... :-0

-----------------

can anyone at all help ?
any idea where I can find more information / expert assistance ?

thanks for any help...
-Shay
Hi,

I've been able to fully automate System Update distribution using Group Policy. this works perfectly.

I am now trying to achive the same functionality using scritps.
the problem: I get quite a few prompts for "License Agreement" - not the "master" initial one, only a few for the different installs.

here's my setup:
1. a local server is the repository.
2. I import a .reg file before installing "System Update" using an automated install.
3. after a restart, a command runs on the local machine.

here are the details:

registry settings:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Lenovo\System Update]
"LanguageOverride"="EN"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Lenovo\System Update\UserSettings\General]
"IgnoreLocalLicense"="YES"
"DisplayLicenseNotice"="NO"
"DisplayLicenseNoticeSU"="NO"
"ExtrasTab"="NO"
"RepositoryLocation1"="***my internal server here ****"
"RepositoryLocation2"=""
"RepositoryLocation3"=""
"NotifyInterval"="36000"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Lenovo\System Update\UserSettings\Scheduler]
"SchedulerAbility"="YES"
"SchedulerLock"="LOCK"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Lenovo\MND\TVSUAPPLICATION]
*** network drive mapping here, this part works ***

also, I use this command to run the updates:

call "C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\tvsu.exe" /CM -search A -action INSTALL -IncludeRebootPackages 1,3,4 -noicon

I am just about desperate... I would REALLY REALLY appreciate any help, hint etc :-)

Thanks for ...even trying... lol

regards,
Shay

Message Edited by catman2u on 03-18-2008 05:04 AM

Message Edited by catman2u on 03-25-2008 02:41 AM
Fanfold Paper
raideray

Re: Help with automating "System Update"

Had the same issue. We used a program called "Push the Freakin' button" or PFTB.exe. You can configure this program to automatically click on buttons for almost any window that comes up.
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 202
Solutions: 104

catman2u wrote:

does anyone from Lenovo actually read this forum?

From the Communiy Rules in the Welcome section....

Objectives of Lenovo Discussion Forums

These communities have been created to provide a high quality atmosphere in which users of Lenovo products and services may share experiences and expertise. While members from Lenovo may participate at intervals to engage in the discussions and offer advice and suggestions, this forum is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel. This is an informal and public forum, and Lenovo does not guarantee the accuracy of information and advice posted here -- see important Warranty information below.

No amount of ranting is going to get you anything more than you will achieve with a clear exposition of your issue... so you might want to try doing that instead of ranting and assuming that everyone already knows what you know etc etc.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Retired Moderator
vkyr

[ Edited ]
Hmm, the registry entry for license agreements looks slightly different in the august 2007 System Update Solution Guide from the one you used, namely...

---> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\System Update\Preferences\UserSettings\General\IgnoreLocalLicense

...instead of your...

---> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Lenovo\System Update\UserSettings\General\IgnoreLocalLicense

...did you tried out if this may do any difference here?

Message Edited by vkyr on 03-28-2008 02:08 AM

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Serial Port
catman2u

What can I say? I was ranting. this post was here for like 3 weeks and no reply...
anyway, I appologize, it was frustration seeping thorugh the keyboard and onto the web.
I stand corrected...

Serial Port
catman2u

thanks vkyr, this doesn't work though.

as I understand it, "policies" settings over-ride regular keys as set in the registry.
this is the mechanism used by MS to enforce settings in a "managed" way - group policy settings are supposed to be added under the "policies" key, so that when a policy is removed, the default value is enabled i.e. the one listed in the normal registry key.

this, anyway, is the theory (and very nicely done by Lenovo)

however, more to the point I can't get this to work either way.
I'll keep trying some more variations here.

so has anyone had any good experiance with this mechanism ?

thanks for all your help I really appreciate it you read all my policy settings! thanks so much!
regards,
shay

Serial Port
catman2u

10x for the tip. I have a similar solution in place, though I'm trying to avoid it - just your regular perfectionism :-)
Lenovo Staff
bloo

[ Edited ]
Can you run a quick test for me?  Not sure what's going on here, specifically, but I'd like you to check something out, if you would.

Change your command line, adding this, where C:\MyRepository = path to your repository:

"C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\tvsu.exe" /CM -search A -action INSTALL -repository C:\MyRepository. -IncludeRebootPackages 1,3,4 -noicon

Now, you'll notice I put in C:\MyRepository. not C:\MyRepository (added the period at the end).  If you would, do basically the same thing.  At the end of your repository string in the command line, add one additional garbage character (but NOT white space) and see if it makes a difference.

Please post the result of the test.

Thanks.

Edit:  Added some bold to make the addition to the command line stand out a bit more.

Message Edited by bloo on 03-31-2008 08:56 AM
--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Serial Port
catman2u

Hi bloo,
thanks for your help!

I'm afraid it didn't work:

I am using a server based repository. my settings are originally taken from a registry setting.
however I have tried using a command line as you suggested - still using a server path
this didn't help however if i used -repository \\server\share nothing happens (tvsukernel appears in task manager then exits)
so I tried -repository \\server\share. (w/ period) and that performed the updates, however EULAs still appear.

as far as I can tell I get EULAs only for external (MS?) QFEs for instance. most EULAs do not appear at all, only a few (~8)

specific questions:
1. should this work with a server based repository ?
2. should I use package manager to, err, remove the eula .rtf files where I find those inside a package?
3. will any log files be helpful ?

again, I appreciate your assistance! thanks :-)

Shay
Lenovo Staff
bloo

catman2u wrote:
Hi bloo,
thanks for your help!

I'm afraid it didn't work:

specific questions:
1. should this work with a server based repository ?
2. should I use package manager to, err, remove the eula .rtf files where I find those inside a package?
3. will any log files be helpful ?

again, I appreciate your assistance! thanks :-)

Shay

Well that stinks.

As for the questions, I believe that yes, this should work with a server based repository, log files won't tell me anything new just yet and... well... I'm not going near that second question :smileywink:

I'll be testing this in the near future (hopefully today or tomorrow), so I should be able to get you a better set of answers soon.  Just to make sure, though, you are using UR 2.13 and SU 3.13 yeah?  And is it ALL QFEs that prompt you, or just some?

Thanks!

--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.