Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
catman2u

Re: Help with automating "System Update"

Hi, thanks again :-)
as for Q2 sorry for even asking lol

how can I tell which update is a QFE and which not - would I have to go over all of them manually ?

as for version numbers: yeah  UR 2.13 and SU 3.13.

I have one more thing - I think I will be rebuilding the database from scratch today, there is a specific update I can't seem to load into the list.
can you tell me how to manually load a package I D/L from Lenovo into the database?
I know I can build packages and edit them , but that won't seem to load a package which is external:
I extraced the files, tried to point package builder to it, no go.
even copied that extracted folder into the TVSU store folder, of course that won't work.

in short:
update retriever seems to have a missing package which I need.
i would like to know if I can:
a. rebuild the package list without d/l all packages from Lenovo
or
b. import a single package which I d/l manually from the Lenovo support site.

I REALLY apprecaite your assistance, we are going to do a MAJOR deployment here (IBM in Israel btw) and this TVSU system is a most elegant solution. it's great :-)
regards,
Shay

Lenovo Staff
bloo

Yeah, you'd have to identify them manually.  Don't worry too much about it.  It should become fairly obvious once I start testing internally.

I'm going to have to do some checking on importing packages.  I haven't had much reason to use Package Builder yet, so I'm by no means an expert on that particular program.  However, if the package you need is an update to an existing package in your repository, you may want to try archiving the existing package, then pulling the new package with UR.

--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Lenovo Staff
bloo

catman2u wrote:
Hi, thanks again :-)
as for Q2 sorry for even asking lol

how can I tell which update is a QFE and which not - would I have to go over all of them manually ?

as for version numbers: yeah  UR 2.13 and SU 3.13.

I have one more thing - I think I will be rebuilding the database from scratch today, there is a specific update I can't seem to load into the list.
can you tell me how to manually load a package I D/L from Lenovo into the database?
I know I can build packages and edit them , but that won't seem to load a package which is external:
I extraced the files, tried to point package builder to it, no go.
even copied that extracted folder into the TVSU store folder, of course that won't work.

in short:
update retriever seems to have a missing package which I need.
i would like to know if I can:
a. rebuild the package list without d/l all packages from Lenovo
or
b. import a single package which I d/l manually from the Lenovo support site.

I REALLY apprecaite your assistance, we are going to do a MAJOR deployment here (IBM in Israel btw) and this TVSU system is a most elegant solution. it's great :-)
regards,
Shay

You can import a single package.  Check chapter five of the deployment guide for detailed information.

As for the license prompt on hotfixes, I believe I have identified the problem.  We're working on a resolution.
--
Serial Port
catman2u

Ping?! any news ?
thanks bloo.
-Shay
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Zymer

bloo,

I think this thread acurately mirrors the same issue that I am having (although I am using the ThinInstaller), namely that the QFE hotfixes continue to prompt for license agreements to be approved. 

Here is my command line:

"C:\ThinInstaller\Thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -repository \\FILESERVER\Driver_Repository -includerebootpackages 1,3,4 -noreboot"

ThinInstaller.exe.config looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
    <LanguageOverride>EN</LanguageOverride>
    <BlockSize>4096</BlockSize>
    <AskBeforeClosing>NO</AskBeforeClosing>
    <DisplayLicenseNotice>NO</DisplayLicenseNotice>
    <IgnoreLocalLicense>YES</IgnoreLocalLicense>
    <IgnoreRMLicCRCSize>YES</IgnoreRMLicCRCSize>
    <DebugEnable>NO</DebugEnable>
    <ContentMode>Active</ContentMode>
</configuration>

Thanks,

Zymer

Lenovo Staff
bloo

Zymer wrote:

bloo,

I think this thread acurately mirrors the same issue that I am having (although I am using the ThinInstaller), namely that the QFE hotfixes continue to prompt for license agreements to be approved. 

Zymer

Believe it or not, we're STILL working on this (over a year later).  The problem is that the QFEs each have an individual license agreement which the publisher requires the end user to accept at install time. Because of this, we're not allowed to suppress it, even if you check the "I agree to all licenses blah blah blah" box when you download updates with TVUR.

This is quite the source of irritation, since it would be possible to download the QFEs and, following instructions provided by Microsoft, string them together in a batch file that would install them without the license prompt.  That could then be made in to a UR package.  But, we can't distribute it that way.

--
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Zymer

[ Edited ]

bloo,

Thanks for the quick response.  While I appreciate the candid update, I can't help but think that had this limitation been clearly spelled out in the Deployment Guide for System Update's downloadable documentation, I would not have spent dozens of hours of work on and off over several months time trolling this forum and fiddling with licensing registry keys, config files and command line scripting.  I can't tell you how frustrating it is to work for so long just to discover that my problem has nothing at all to do with those licensing-specific entries.

With that said, in an effort to prevent others from spending any more time on this issue, may I propose that the documentation for 3.14 (and any subsequent documentation) clearly spell out the limitations of the licensing keys, files, and command-line syntax vis-a-vis these hotfixes?  As great as LSU is otherwise, its "scriptablility" is seriously undermined by this issue; it should be conspicuously annotated with these limitations in all documentation.

Again bloo, thanks for the answer, despite my rantings.

~ Zymer

Message Edited by Zymer on 05-19-2009 12:01 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Zymer

Even if the updates must be agreed to individually, providing any option so we could script a "yes" to accept each individual update would be helpful.

Or, as a last resort, if we could preemptively approve all of the hotfix agreements (individually, if needed) at the select-the-updates-you-wish-to-install phase, we could eventually walk away from the installation instead of babysitting it for randomly occurring pop-ups over a half-hour installation span.

Thanks,

Zymer

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Zymer

Bloo,

Any update on this?  Has the functionality, or at least the documentation, been changed? Is there a different thread I should be following for the ongoing progress?

~ Zymer

Serial Port
catman2u

yet another year went by,

any news:

I now use update retriver 4, system update 4 for Windows 7 (and also eralier versions for XP) and it seems each QFE I need to install prompts for a license agreement.

Bloo... ?