Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
hakre

Hotkeys not working (Win XP Pro)

Hi. I need to know which services/memory resistant programms are needed to be at run so that Hotkeys (FN+F5 or the Blue Thinkvantage Button) do work properly.

I just installed Access Connections via Systemupdate AND installed the needed dependencies but still no luck. This might be related to the situation that I configured the system by disabling autostarts or services so I need to know which need to run sothat these tools work as intended.
Serial Port
hakre

Re: Hotkeys not working (Win XP Pro)

I could help myself by uninstgalling any ThinkVantage related product but not System Update, doing one reboot, running system update afterwards and re-installing the compontents I wanted to have.

Afterwards, the Hotkeys worked again.

ubq
Blue Screen Again
ubq

Thanks, hakre, for posting what worked for you in the end.  I can confirm that this sometimes works for me as well. 

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to find any further information on ThinkVantage functional dependencies.

I'd like to have personal control over what software I run on my Thinkpad.  I believe that it is poor design to require users to install all components regardless of which features they wish to use; however, in lack of a well-designed dependency paradigm, it would be nice to at least have documentation of the existing design so that problems like the one reported below (which I see reproduced on a very regular basis) can be avoided.  Interestingly, the dependency problems seem to have started just following the TVSU fiasco, so perhaps that is a clue to what is happening here.

I don't expect a generic solution to fit everyone's needs, but one thing I've come to expect from the Thinkpad line is the ability to customize my experience to meet my needs. The current dependency set interferes with that very important Thinkpad feature:  flexibiliity by design.

Anyone know if this documentation exists?

Thanks in advance.

T60p 2613CTO | Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz | 2GB RAM | Atheros a/b/g/n | ATI Mobility Fire GL v5250 | 15" 1400x1050 | XP sp3 + Kubuntu 9.04 + Vista sp2: using whichever is least broken at any given time.
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
First I want to explain, that in case you want to use your ThinkPad is the way, that all Fn-Fx are working and also programs like Access Connections and Power Manager are working correctly you need to have following apps/drivers installed:
- Power Management driver
- Power Manager
- Hotkey driver
- System interface driver

This is what I like to call the "core" for all TVT's. As when one of them is not installed, then it might cause unexpected behaviour.

Here is a short/general descrption, on what is used for what:
=> Power Management dirver
-> This is, as the name sais, the driver, that is supporting the functionality of ThinkVantage Power Manager is getting informations from the power state of the system, etc and is also supporting Access Connection in hiw functionality and the read of ceratin informations from the networ cards

=> Power Manager
-> This is a tool, that is basically a replacemant for Windows own power manager, BUT with more features and options, that are not realy offered By Windows Power Manager. For the correct flow of this application you need to have following installed:
- Power Management driver
- Hotkey driver
- System Interface driver

=> Hotkey driver
-> This application and driver in the same time is made of two separate parts:
1) Magnifier => as the name sais, this can be used as the Windows magnifier, is needed to applications like Power Maanger, Presentation director, etc to provide them with full support in the OS environment
2) OnScreenDisplay => this is the main driver that is supporting all the functions of FN+Fx. This driver is needed for all applications, that are using OSD<On Screen Display> function like Presentation Director, Power Manager, Volume control, etc
This driver does not just provide this, but it's also providing support in the OS environment for all the other TVT applicaitons <basically for all of the TVT's>

=> System Interface driver
-> although this driver is small, it's realy needed.
e.g.: if everything works fine on your system, but after pressing FN+F5 you can not see your WWAN card, then first check, whether this driver is installed.
This driver is supporting also Access Connection, but is providing/"correcting" the functionality of the Power Management dirver, Hotkey, Power Manager, etc

By default, when you already are in OS and you press the blue Thinkvanteag button, that this button is starting the application called Productivity Center. So this application should be installed on your system, so that you can use it directly in OS.
NOTE: if you press this blue ThinkVantage button during boot, then it will start you into Rescue and recovery PDA <Pre Desktop Environment> where you can restore the system, or just browse the files on your HDD, in case the system don't want to boot into OS. However this start into RnR PDA is dependent on the fact, whether RnR is installed and whether there is a Service partition on the system <virtual or physical, it does not matter>.

Let me know, if I missed some point, or my explanation was not what you expected.

Rgrds
ubq
Blue Screen Again
ubq

Thanks, Herik, for this very informative and prompt reply.  Very nice to come back to a high quality answer after only an hour or two.  This is exactly what I was looking for. The breakdown of the hotkey driver components and system interface driver were especially useful.

Cheers!

T60p 2613CTO | Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz | 2GB RAM | Atheros a/b/g/n | ATI Mobility Fire GL v5250 | 15" 1400x1050 | XP sp3 + Kubuntu 9.04 + Vista sp2: using whichever is least broken at any given time.
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

you are welcome. 

Just let me know, if you need any more info on TVT apps. I'm working with these applicaitons realy long so I try to help, when possible.

Rgrds

Lenovo FTSS - Contributor
rbkirk

If you are experiencing issues with the Hotkey utility under XP, be sure that the Windows Terminal Service is up and running. If its not, many Fn key combinations will fail to function. This dependency was to work around a bug with the XP WinLogon notification client

This may require a reboot after activation to take effect.

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

I see, that the Terminal Services is a situation, that you are looking for :smileywink:

Enjoy