Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
dchammondjr

Hotkeys not working

I see many posts about losing the function of hotkeys in XP, Vista and 7 BUT no answers.  I specifically mean Fn-F2, Fn-F3, Fn-F5, Fn-F7, Fn-F8, Fn-F9.

Has anyone fixed this problem?

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

Re: Hotkeys not working

If i understand you correctly none of the Fn-Fx key combinations work for you so basically nothing happen if you press Fn-F4, Fn-F5, Fn-F7 or any other Fn-Fx combination? Or do some of them work while others do not work? When did it stop working and did you update something on your computer when it stopped working?

Based on the tags i presume you got a Thinkpad T400 and use Vista? Is it x64 or x86?

Do you have the hotkey and the Communications Utility installed?

-gan

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dchammondjr

Mine is x86 32-bit.  They stopped working after installing a new revision of the Hotkey integration.  I thought installing the latest revision would fix it but it did not.  I think I have everything installed.  Actually Fn-F4 and Fn-F12 work, the rest do not.

I have this one installed now.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-74261

andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

You still haven't mentioned which OS you are running, but, did you read the notes on the site you linked to?

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
for your situation I would firsty advice to test if the FN+Fx keys can be started manually.
Here is an example of what I mean:
- go to %programfiles%\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities
- double-click the "AcFnF5.exe" and check, if you will see the clasical FN+F5 OSD

I assume, this might help out, as in case you will see the FN+F5 OSD, then this is just a configuration issue.
In case not even this will work, then I can imagine the quickest way to get this sorted out and it is the reinstallation of all the components, a adviced by andyP

Please let us know, how it will work out.

Cheers

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dchammondjr

I have Windows Vista Business 32-bit.

All of the hotkey functions can be started manually from the .exe files.

I spent an hour on the phone with Lenovo support today and removed and reinstalled "Hotkey Features Integration" under their direction.  All the other packages are at the appropriate releases and Fn-F2 does not depend on Thinkvantage applications and is also not working.  This did not make the hotkeys work.  Lenovo support said the only other option was to restore to a known good system point.  Unfortunately I don't have a restore point preceeding the problem.

There must be a way th fix this beyond wiping and reinstalling?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dchammondjr

I did read all the instructions on the install site and have appropriate versions of all the Thinkvantage applications installed.  I have the Intel driver installed.

I am running Vista Business 32-bit SP2.

It is still not working after doing the uninstall-reinstall per Lenovo support.

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
in case the Hotkey parts can be started manually, then please paste here the whoe content of following registry key:
HKLM\Software\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\CLASS\01

The point, is, that the reinstallation might not always work, as once you uninstall a hoteky, the registry entry might still stay on the correct place. And once you try to install it back, the setup package will check, if the registry key exists and if yes, it skips this part.

Feel free to place here the whole export. It surelly will help out.

Cheers

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dchammondjr

I think you are looking in the correct place but I am not experienced at interpreting registry entries.  Should there not be some process running to make the hotkeys work?  Do you know the name?  Here is the export of my registry.  I think I see some issues, like no entry for Fn-F2, but want your opinion.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Lenovo\\HOTKEY"
"AvayaDLL"="C:\\Program Files\\Lenovo\\HOTKEY\\tpavaya.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\Class]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\Class\01]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\Class\01\03]
"File"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\ThinkPad\\UTILIT~1\\PwmOSDV.exe"
"Parameters"=""
"LockedMode"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\Class\01\05]
"File"="C:\\Program Files\\ThinkPad\\ConnectUtilities\\AcFnF5.exe"
"Parameters"=""
"NACONDITION"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\Class\01\07]
"File"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Lenovo\\NPDIRECT\\TPFNF7SP.exe"
"Parameters"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\Class\01\08]
"Parameters"="/OSD"
"File"="C:\\Program Files\\ThinkPad\\UltraNav Utility\\UNAVOSD.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\Class\01\09]
"File"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\ThinkPad\\UTILIT~1\\EzEjApp.exe"
"Parameters"="/OSD"

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

Do you have Windows Vista SP1 or SP2 installed or just Vista without any servicepack?

I'm not sure if i understand this sentence completely, but if you look at the notes for the latest hotkey features integration it says:

(For Windows Vista only) The package just support Vista SP1 (service pack 1) or later if the Intel Video driver had been installed.

As i said i don't really understand what Lenovo is trying to say here since i find the sentence a bit strange, but just in case it's relevant for you.

-gan