Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
cannongeorge
Accepted Solution

How do I launch and Reset Client Security Solution?

W510, Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit, and I like using the Password Manager feature with fingerprint security.  During a recent printer installation I had to set-up a Windows Password (I never had one before). Now upon logging in, Client Security Solution continually provides error message ("Your windows password was changed recently. Please enter your Windows password to synchronize with Client Security Solution" - but it doesn't recognize anything I enter, including the current password. I can ignore the message but now I am locked out of some encrypted files.

Lenovo Document ID#HT004617 correctly addresses this problem; but I'm stuck on their Solution Step #4 (Launch Client Security Solution) -  I'm supposed to launch the program, click advanced, and then select "Reset Security Settings."  Problem is there are over 4 dozen executable files in the (2) qty Client Security Solution sub-directories (c:/program Files (x86)/Lenovo/Client Security Solution and c:/Program Files/Lenovo/Client Security Solution) and I have yet to find one that properly launches the CSS program. (CSS is not available from the Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools menu). 
How do I start CSS?  

I keep machine up to date, ThinkVantage Fingerprint software #5.9.3, PW Manager version 3.20.0335.00. Machine is under warranty but Lenovo Support thus far unable to tell me what to do!

I'm sure somebody here knows the right CSS file to run, and specific procedure to synchronize the Password, would sure appreciate some help on this, thank you!

Fanfold Paper
cannongeorge

Re: How do I launch and Reset Client Security Solution?

Anyone listening?  I know there are a lot of folks much smarter than me, responses anyone?

I did find an added footnote (displays in green text at bottom of page) in the pre-installed "Help" file on this computer: "Note:  If this is a WINDOWS 7 model, Client Security Solution is NOT pre-installed on it..."

Well, why?  Is there something bad between CSS and WIN7?  It appears they physically provided a lot of the software but a lot of it simply does not work; and I'm too afriad to get too deep into the programs that do. 

And why wasn't the Lenovo Help Desk aware (called 3 times, now) aware of this? 

I think having to install CSS from scratch just to get passwords synchronized is an overkill answer?

Thanks for any ideas!

Fanfold Paper
cannongeorge

Just came across Lenovo Document DS002118.  (Released 2 days ago) Is this the solution?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

CSS and Password Manager depend on the Windows security subsystem to provide certain encryption services.  The Windows security model can handle password changes, but it cannot handle password resets.  (The difference between a change and a reset is that a change requires you to enter the old password and the new password; the reset does not require the old password).

It sounds like your printer software did a password reset, and not a change, so now CSS and other security-related features of Windows don't work correctly.  This is a defect in the printer software.

Try changing your password back to what it was previously, before the printer software was installed.  To do this, type "Change your Windows password" into the start menu.  Let me know if that works or not.

Fanfold Paper
cannongeorge

Yes and No.  I typed "Change your windows password" into the start menu, clicked on a link, and changed my password.  Keep in mind I have no idea what the original PW is/was, however I am original purchaser and only user of this Lenovo machine. Fingerprint log-on failed; it re-set correctly after entering new password; but now back to same situation, system asks for ID verificati0on, I am still locked out of files....  

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

If you don't know what your original password was, then I'm afraid there is no solution for you, other than to reset CSS and start over with saving your passwords in Password Manager again.  As for being locked out of files, what files are you talking about?  CSS doesn't have anything to do with encrypting files..

Fanfold Paper
cannongeorge

Been away working, now back...

It was an HP8500 Printer that started all of this.  I find it difficult to believe that a (simple?) printer install could do so much collateral damage...

BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION - How do I reset CSS?  Per furnished Lenovo documentation, (found on the hard drive) CSS was never installed on Windows 7 machines (for some Lenovo reason).  I can export PWs to external drive but still have no idea how to launch the CSS files (of which several executable files came pre-loaded on my machine).

As far as being locked out of files, Finale composition software now says (upon trying to open files) "You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the file owner or administrator to obtain permission.."

Worst case, I can re-build my Finale composiitons, but I'm still annoyed with the Lenovo log-in screen constantly asking me to enter a password that I don't know!

I am very dissapointed with purchased LENOVO WARRANTY SUPPORT - the people I've talked to have no idea about what I'm trying to explain to them.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

To reset CSS, run CSSLauncher.exe, then you should see the menu that the documentation references.  This is going to delete your Password Manager entries so make sure you export them before you do this.

This is not going to bring your encrypted files back - CSS has nothing to do with that.

Fanfold Paper
cannongeorge

That did it!

I wish Lenovo Support had known the name of this file - it was in the Lenovo "common" directory and not in the CSS directories, which made it harder to find. 

File encryption issues appear to be related to WIN 7 "homegroup" defination, I can straighten this out.

THANK YOU! 

Punch Card
JEFFERSONDEA

So why is CSS not preinstalled?