Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
xcskier
Accepted Solution

How to disable scheduled backups?

I'd like to disable scheduled backups because my Norton antivirus software cannot be copied and I must be present for the first 20 minutes of backup to choose "skip" for each of about 20 Norton files.  This occurs even though I tried to exclude files having *Norton* in their names, and even when I turn off Norton software before backup.  I'm running ThinkCentre M55, 8811-CTO, with Windows XP Pro.  I've removed backup from the XP "Scheduled Tasks" manager, and in "Config AwayManager tasks", Backup using R&R is not checked.  In R&R, "Set Schedule, Schedule your Backups" is not checked.  Despite these settings, once a day every day I continue to get the "backup cannot copy the ....(Norton)...file" window.  I tried allowing one scheduled backup to run to completion, hoping that if I did this, R&R would no longer run auto backups.  But it didn't work.  How can I stop R&R from running auto backups?  I'd prefer to run manual backups at my convenience.

Blue Screen Again
xcskier

more on de-scheduling auto backups

Sorry, forgot to mention in my previous post: I can't tell which version of R&R I'm running because when I open ThinkVantage R&R, it immediately opens the "backup running" window.   I cannot activate the underlying R&R window with options like backup or recover, can I use the "help" button on that window to identify my R&R version.  When I click "cancel", nothing happens; in order to end the backup, I have to use Windows Task Manager.

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

Re: more on de-scheduling auto backups

when you open R&R at the bottum left click on launch advance mode then click on set schedule & preferences

Capturerrs.PNG

then uncheck the box for schedule backups

Capturerr.PNGthat will disable auto backup

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

you can also exclude files by clicking on advance at the top left

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Blue Screen Again
xcskier

Dear GMAC: the box for "schedule your backups" is NOT checked, already.

Punch Card
iancdn

Re: How to disable scheduled backups?

If you can't disable scheduled backups (under Set Schedule etc.), check under Scheduled Tasks (XP) or the

equivalent for your OS and see if anything labelled R&R is set to run, if so disable it.

In R&R you can exclude entire directories and directory trees from being backed up,

this should be better than trying to filter on file names.

Advanced - Exclude Files.

What I did is to set up excluded directories, but thereafter I run R&R from a batch file in command line mode.

This is documented in a manual that can be downloaded from Lenovo.

Before I start it I stop internet access, and shut down anti-virus (Kaspersky in my case), and verify that all anti-virus processes

have stopped using Process Explorer (a free download from Microsoft).  I also manually stop Google Desktop,

Google notifier, in general everything that seems like it might interfere.

Since I started following this procedure I no longer have any issues.

You can also add a batch file command to shut down the computer after the backup,

which is desirable.

Here's most of my batch file:

echo Perform full backup
echo Delete old backup on USB drive

"c:\program files\lenovo\rescue and recovery\rrcmd" delete location=U silent

rem above deletes the old backup on the USB drive
echo Create base backup on USB drive

"c:\program files\lenovo\rescue and recovery\rrcmd" backup location=U name=base silent

rem above backs up to USB

echo Shutdown

computershutdown -s -f

Blue Screen Again
xcskier

iancdn: don't mean to sound snippy, but as you and GMAC have repeated, my Windows Scheduled Tasks already exclude any R&R activity including backups.  And, my advanced R&R excludes all antivirus files that I painstakingly identified by writing down lengthy pathnames while manually "skip" each of about 20 hang-up files during an auto backup.  But I will print your suggestion and try it tomorrow.  Incidentally, while trying GMAC's prevous suggestion, I learned that my version of R&R is 3.1xxx.  Thanks for suggestion.  Oh, and I see that my R&R has just started trying another backup......

Punch Card
iancdn

Hi,

Sorry, should have read the other messages more completely.  I suggest you download and install

Autoruns from this link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902

Autoruns shows all processes that launch during boot or login, and is reputed

to be more comprehensive than any similar utility.  I would carefully examine

all entries for anything resembling R&R.  Hopefully you will find something and can disable it.

Cheers,

Ian

Blue Screen Again
xcskier

ian: I ran the utility you suggested.  Found something in a Lenovo directory named "tvtscheduler.exe".  Also a "schedulerproxy.exe" or something like that.  But I'm hesitant to just delete them without knowing what they do.  Could this/these be the offending file(s)?  (and, R&R is trying to run as I enter this message....)     

Punch Card
iancdn

Hi,

You don't have to delete the entries, just uncheck them.  They will still be listed, they just won't run the next

time you reboot.  Suggest reading a bit of the help file in Autoruns first to understand how it works first.

Ian