Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
choehyunho

I can't access PDA with R&R 4.31

Recently I reinstalled Windows in my T500.

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit & Service Pack 1, too.

Then I installed R&R and other ThinkPad stuffs.

R&R looks installed and I can make system backup, but I cannot access PDA.

It just go to normal windows booting.

I already tried to re-install R&R, CSS, etc, but no change.

What should I do?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: I can't access PDA with R&R 4.31

How are you trying to access PDA?  By pressing blue button at the ThinkPad logo screen shortly after turning the system on?

You could also access PDA by creating rescue media on DVD or USB HDD.  From inside R&R, launch the advanced mode, and look in the "advanced" menu.  This will create either a bootable DVD or USB HDD that you can use to boot to PDA and restore backups.

Blue Screen Again
choehyunho

[ Edited ]

I know how to make recovery media.

But, pressing thinkvantage button is not working in Win7?

Token Ring
gwf12

How was Windows 7 installed? Using Lenovo media or standard Windows 7 media? For the blue button to work, the pre-boot small hidden partition that gets installed by Win7 has to be custom Lenovo one, it is different from what you get if install from a Windows 7 DVD or iso.

Blue Screen Again
choehyunho

I installed with standard Windows media.

How can I change hidden partition to Lenovo one?

And I have another question.

I made system backup to USB HDD before reinstalling Win7, and it's size is about 150GB.

Tried individual file restore for some very big file about 3G & 30G.

But the restored files seem corrupted.

Is R&R trustable for individual file restoration?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

[ Edited ]

How did you install Win7 from "standard Windows media"?  Blue button should work to boot to PDA, if you install Windows from DVD on a blank HDD and let windows create the partitions that it wants.  However if you create the partitions yourself, or trying to dual boot with another OS, or anything other than standard windows install then blue button may not work.  Also if you use full-disk encryption software (besides bitlocker), or any other software that installs its own boot loader, blue button may not work.

As for your restore problem, are you trying the restore from inside windows or from inside PDA?  Either should work, but I want to know what method you are using to provide some next steps for troubleshooting.

As for whether R&R is "trustable", personally if I was running Win7 and all I cared about was backing up individual files, then I would use Windows backup.  It is very good at backing up and restoring individual files, and faster than R&R.  Where R&R is better than windows backup is in the area of taking complete system images and restoring them after HDD failure.  This is just my opinion, not Lenovo's.

Token Ring
gwf12

Choehyunho:

I don't think you can change the PWE (or whatever pre-windows bootable partition is called). It the installaton of R&R did not take care of that, then re-install from Lenovo media is the only way.

I find R&R reliable for single-file restore, but I have not tested it on multi-gigabyte files. Perhaps, the problem was with something else? Was the external hard drive formatted as NTFS, and not as FAT? Was the version of R&R to restore the same as the one used to create the backup? One catch with R&R is to avoid using different versions for backing up and restoring.

Blue Screen Again
choehyunho

For the individual file restoration, I use NTFS, the same version of R&R.

Two problem I noticed:

1. It is extremely slow if restoration includes small but many files like browser cache, etc.

2. Definitely there is a problem when I tried to restore large file. This is because I try to restore the whole system backup.

And, for the replacing hidden partition for Lenovo, please anyone help to another way instead re-install windows.

I only have Lenovo Media for Win7 Pro, because I  used online upgrade to Win7 Ultimate.

And also, I already went so far, and to re-install all the things are quite a boring job...:smileysad: