Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
ed-GFS

Image Ultra Builder 3.x issue with T61 Network Driver load

Hello,

I am having issues with a Network deployment of an image on a T61 (7659-12U) During the intial boot up phase with the Network Boot disk that was created from IUB, I receive and error 1231 - The Network Location cannot be reached..  I am currently using IUB for deployment of A31, T40/42 as well as the T60 model line. None of these loads are having the problem.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Thank-you in advance.

Ed

Punch Card
msauve

Re: Image Ultra Builder 3.x issue with T61 Network Driver load

Hi,

I have the exact same problem... Did you find a solution ?

Paper Tape
ed-GFS

I did..the solution was to upgrade the version of IUB to version 4. 
Punch Card
msauve

Well, when you upgraded to version 4, it worked, because the new network card drivers was there on this version.

I also have version 4 and it worked fine, but now I just received some new PC M58P and I get the same message you had because it doesnt detect the network card. There has to be a way to add new network drivers in the bootable CD for Image Ultra Builder.

This software has a lot of potentials... but too much lack of support... I called Lenovo, tried to speak with technical support. I spoke with 3 different guys (they transferred me, and transferred me), and no one knew what was Image Ultra Builder......

MS

Lenovo Employee
xgaldes

You can add driver network to the winpe here is how to do it :

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-71263

age 28 of the ImageUltra Builder User's Guide provides incorrect instructions for adding drivers to ImageUltra Builder 4 distribution and deploy media.

To correctly add drivers, follow these steps:

1. Create a "drvs_vpe" directory in the repository share directory.
  2. Create separate directories in the "dvrs_vpe" directory for each driver (for example: "intel" for Intel NIC drivers or "broadcom" for Broadcom NIC drivers).
  3. In the directory created in step 2, create a directory named "preboot".
  4. In the "preboot" directory, create a "drivers" directory.
  5. Place the drivers in the "drivers" directory. This ensures the files are imported and installed in the deploy media.
    • For example: If adding drivers for a new Intel Network Interface Card, the full path would be repositoryfilesshare\drvs_vpe\intel\preboot\drivers\

Punch Card
msauve

Thank you very much for your reply, I think i'm going in the right direction.

I downloaded the drivers from Lenovo web site. I copied the content of WIN32 in the repositoryfilesshare\drvs_vpe\intel\preboot\drivers\ as mentioned.

Then created a new distribution CD. The CD is still the same size, and It still doesn't recognize my network card.

I then tried copying the entire content of the drivers I downloaded in repositoryfilesshare\drvs_vpe\intel\preboot\drivers\...

same issue...

someone have an idea ???

Paper Tape
SteveWyvill

Hi

I'm wondering if you managed to resolve this issue as I'm experiencing similar problems.

I've had IUB 3.1 running successfully for some time. It's been used to deploy Windows XP to a variety of Lenovo hardware.

I recently patched IUB up to version 4.01 and here lies my problem. Under IUB 3.1, adding additional ethernet card drivers to the boot CD/DVD was quite simple. Create the DRIVERS folder in the repository, add the manufacturer subdirectory e.g. INTEL, create the i386 directory with sub directories of INF and SYSTEM32 etc and place the driver files in the relevant folders. This has worked fine with 3.1 but since updating to 4.01, this no longer seems to work as the boot CD doesn't get updated with the new driver files I've added.

So folder structure looks something like this :

Repo\drivers\Intel\i386\INF

Repo\drivers\Intel\i386\System32

Repo\drivers\Intel\i386\System32\drivers

So I guess I have a couple of questions.

1) Does updating IUB to version 4.01 still allow me to deploy Windows XP ?

2) Where on the boot CD should the new driver files be located. I took this to be PREBOOT\DRIVERS ?

3) As the above method of adding new network card drivers to the boot CD no longer seems to work, what is now the correct procedure ?

An earlier post indicated that the instructions in the IUB 4.01 user guide were incorrect. I tried the alternative directory structure as indicated but this also does not add the new driver files to the boot CD. So I've not got a directory structure that looks like :

Repo\Drvs_vpe\preboot\Drivers\Intel\i386\INF

Repo\Drvs_vpe\preboot\Drivers\Intel\i386\System32

Repo\Drvs_vpe\preboot\Drivers\Intel\i386\System32\drivers

FYI I'm attempting to build a ThinkCentre M58 that uses the Marvell Yukon ethernet controller.

Any advice you can provide will be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Paper Tape
SteveWyvill

Just wanted to add that the following procedure also proves to be unsuccessfull :

1. Create a "drvs_vpe" directory in the repository share directory.
  2. Create separate directories in the "dvrs_vpe" directory for each driver (for example: "intel" for Intel NIC drivers or "broadcom" for Broadcom NIC drivers).
  3. In the directory created in step 2, create a directory named "preboot".
  4. In the "preboot" directory, create a "drivers" directory.
  5. Place the drivers in the "drivers" directory. This ensures the files are imported and installed in the deploy media.
    • For example: If adding drivers for a new Intel Network Interface Card, the full path would be repositoryfilesshare\drvs_vpe\intel\preboot\drivers\

So to be absolutely sure, can you tell me if the following directory structure is correct ?

Repo\Drvs_vpe\Intel\Preboot\Drivers

or should I need to create the i386, INF and SYSTEM32 subdirectories as per IUB 3.1 ? Hence :

Repo\Drvs_vpe\Intel\Preboot\Drivers\INF

Repo\Drvs_vpe\Intel\Preboot\Drivers\System32

Repo\Drvs_vpe\Intel\Preboot\Drivers\System32\Drivers

Not sure if this procedure refers to Vista PE ?  But I need to build Windows XP clients.

Thanks again

Steve

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
IUB 4.01 is using WINPE 2.0<Vista based> and IUB 3.1 was using WINPE 1.0/1.1<XP Based>.
This has nothing to do with the actual image deployment. It's just that the WINPE looks more like
Vista. And this is why the method changed after you updated from 3.0/3.1 to 4.00/4.01.

To answer your questions from before:
1) Does updating IUB to version 4.01 still allow me to deploy Windows XP ?
Yes, it's still supported and possible.

2) Where on the boot CD should the new driver files be located. I took this to be PREBOOT\DRIVERS ?
As the new IUB is using WINPE 2.0, the best location for the NIC drivers is the file :
tvtos\winpe.wim

However, this is my advice.!

For my Image deployment I'm no longer using the CD for network deployment. I'm using USB key which gives me more options for the image deployment and the automatization of the deployment process.

However, if you want to use CD for network deployment, then you can do it in following way.
!!!NOTE: this is not the offical way, nor the supported way, but trust me, that it's working like charm !!!
- go to your repository location %repositorylocation%\modules
- find the file called "Z633003A.TVT" and open it using your fav zip application
- after you open this file, go to following location: tvtos\
- extract the "winpe.wim" and using WAIK unmount this file and add the NIC drivers into this .wim file
- after all the drivers are in the winpe.wim file, just copy it back to the "Z633003A.TVT" file and create a new Deployment CD

How to add NIC driver using WAIK:
This is prety easy step, but for more info, check following link:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/winvistape2.htm

As I described earlier, I'm using USB key for Network image deployment, so I have not done it this way, but I have done it a bit simplier.
Here are my steps:
- created a Distribution USB key <suing the same method, that you are using when you create a Network deployment CD, but instead of a CD I select my USB key>
- once the USB key was created successfully I unmount the "tvtos\winpe.wim" file and add all the NIC dirvers into it
This is all that I have done.
Yes, of course there are couple other steps, that I do, like modifying the BCD file, adding other WINPE files, diagnostics and other deployment tools, however, this is not realy a part of IUB, I'm using it for my WDS server and other deployment tools, that I need to use. If you know, what I mean, then you surely understand, that it's a live safer to have everything on one USB key, then on multiple CD where I need to search throught all of then to find the correct CD.

Let me know, whether this method is more suitable for you.
As described above, this is not the realy official/supported way, but it's working for sure.

Rgrds 

Paper Tape
SteveWyvill

Hi Herik

Many thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the file you refer to appears to be password protected and prompts me to enter a password while attempting to unzip it. Is there a default password ?

Also, what is the 'official' method that Lenovo suggest ? I have to pass on this information on to one of our customers. Providing a 'workaround' is not ideal.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Steve