Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
Lenovo__User
Accepted Solution

Intel AMT 7.1 - IPT and Intel AMT 7.1 - MEI and SOL driver not installed T420

Hello,

I'm having an issue where "Intel AMT 7.1 - IPT or the Intel AMT 7.1 - MEI and SOL driver" will not install.

This happens with either the Thinkpad update retriver or the Lenovo System update.  Both products report that the system needs these drivers and attempts an install.  After installing and rebooting we rerun both TUR & TVSU and again they both report the system needs the same drivers and i can't get them installed.

Token Ring
Lenovo__User

Re: Intel AMT 7.1 - IPT and Intel AMT 7.1 - MEI and SOL driver not installed T420

Can someone please help me with this issue as it is holding up our procurement of about 100 - T420 thinkpads.

Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

Re: Intel AMT 7.1 - IPT and Intel AMT 7.1 - MEI and SOL driver not installed T420

When you try to do the installation using TVSU, what is in the log file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\logs\tvsu_log_<timestamp>.txt ?

If you also use Update Retriever and Thin Installer, you can set just these two packages active and run ThinInstaller with -log C:\ti_log.txt command line parameter and capture the details of what's going on with the package that way.

Token Ring
Lenovo__User

The timestamps are as follows:

tvsu_log_110719090335

tvsu_log_110719091844

tvsu_log_110719095645

Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

Need to see the contents of the log files.  If you open one that covers the time where you tried to install these packages, look through it to see if the are any errors reported from the installation of the packages.  Maybe post one as an attachment so we can see what is happening during the process of the packages.

Lenovo__User wrote:

The timestamps are as follows:

tvsu_log_110719090335

tvsu_log_110719091844

tvsu_log_110719095645

Token Ring
Lenovo__User

I reimaged the computer and tried again but no luck.  I checked the log files and I could not find any error messages.

Forgive me but how do I attach the files I can't seem to find out how?

Token Ring
Lenovo__User

Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

Looking through the logs it would appear that the packages install properly on the first pass and then on the second pass, the DetectInstall logic returns false when it checks the registry for the current or newer version.  Here's an excerpt from the second log file ...

Info	2011-07-20 , 08:26:44
	at Tvsu.Gur.RegistryDetectionMethods.EvalRegistryValueByVersion(String key, String keyName, String pattern)
	Message: Registry Key Value to Evaluate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\AMT\MEIVersion, Validation key: 7.0.0.1144^, Result: False

at Tvsu.Gur.RuleEvaluator.EvaluateDetectionMethod(IRule rule)
	Message: Detection method evaluated: _RegistryKeyValue Result-> False

at Tvsu.Gur.RegistryDetectionMethods.GetRegistryValueAsString(String openKey, String keyLocation, String keyName)

at Tvsu.Gur.RegistryDetectionMethods.EvalRegistryValueByVersion(String key, String keyName, String pattern)
	Message: Registry Key Value to Evaluate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\AMT\MEIVersion, Validation key: 7.0.0.1144^, Result: False

This shows that it is not finding the correct value in the registry after the install.  I tested this on a T420 and it installed both packages fine and then detected they were already installed on subsequent runs. 

So are you executing TVSU while logged in as an administrator on the system or are you using Thin Installer in an OS deployment process and executing it under a System Account context?  For some reason it seems the registry is not getting updated which is usually a privileges issue.

Token Ring
Lenovo__User

Here is the process I used:

Using SCCM to deploy the image we run thininstaller near the end of the imaging process.  After I logon for the first time I then run the ThinInstaller command line pointing to the same repository and it shows that the driver is needed.

I then downloaded TVSU logged on as user in the local admin group and ran TVSU reboot and it still shows as needed.

I then perfromance as RUNAS Administrator and the same thing still reports as needed.

I then logon with the local administrator account and selected runas administrator and still the same result showing the dirvers are needed.

Can you tell me the registry key it needs to update?

Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

We are looking at the following registry values to see if the value is greater than or equal to 7.0.0.1144

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\AMT\MEIVersion

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\AMT\MEIVersion

You may want to take the package 83ra28ww from your repository and run it manually on a test machine to see if it gives you any indication of failing to install.  I was able to get it installed with no issue using ThinInstaller on a test machine running as a local admin.  I was even able to install it with AMT disabled in BIOS.

One other thing, do you have .Net 3.5 or .Net 4.0 in your image?