Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
tbizzy

Lenovo RapidDrive Advanced deleted my files without warning

I have a T520 with a RapidDrive (Solid State hard drive).  Everything was working well for the past few days with my laptop.  I ordered a SATA drive tray in order to use my secondary, 7200 RPM standard hard drive as an overflow.  I had several important folders and virtual machines on this drive.

I noticed that Lenovo ships with RapidDrive Advanced, software that lets you configure your system to use the SSD as an operating system partition and automatically use any other standard hard drive as your User folder in Windows 7, for documents, photos, images and the like.  I purposely deselected this option because I wanted my secondary disk for files I manage.

Upon rebooting this morning, Lenovo RapidDrive Advanced deleted all of my files on my second drive, moving my User folder to that drive, and leaving me in a state unable to recover these files.  I am extremely disappointed that this software woudl do this operation against my explicit settings.  I am further suprised at Lenovo's product management that decided to place software on a system that would automatically, without warning, delete files on a drive and copy user files.

I have attempted to recover the deleted files with several programs, but nothing seems to find any recoverable files on my secondary disk.  I am open to all suggestions.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Lenovo RapidDrive Advanced deleted my files without warning

tbizzy,

I'm very sorry for your inconvenience caused by RapidDrive Advanced.  You're right that the software does things without permission.

All your files should be either in the "C:\users" folder or the "D:\users" folder.  Have you looked in both places?  As far as I know, the software only moves files, it does not delete them.  So please check in the "users" folder on both of your drives.  Do you have any external eSATA device?  If so, also check for your files on that drive.

If you still can't find your files, then please give me more information about your configuration, before RapidDrive Advanced took over.  Were your libraries (documents, pictures, music, videos, downloads) in their default locations on the C:\ drive, or had you previously moved those libraries to custom locations?

Again, sorry for this problem that was caused by RapidDrive Advanced.  I'll try to help however I can.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
tbizzy

I appreciate your help.

I did not lose any data in my profile (C:\Users).  I lost my data on my second disk that had data on it (f:\VirtualMachines).  This disk had lots of other data on it that was not part of my User profile.

When I put in the drive and rebooted, RapidDrive Advanced somehow became activated without any warning screen and simply deleted all the data on F:\ and moved my user profile from C:\Users to F:\Users.  I am in the process of moving the data back from F:\Users to C:\Users fine, and I have this data backed up

However, the previous data on F:\ (virtual machines and other files) appears to have been lost.  It is not in the Recycle Bin, and multiple attempts to use Undelete software have so far failed.

Does RapidDrive Advanced delete and recreate the partition on the second drive, does it format, or does it do a simple delete?  I'm trying to find a way to recover those files

What's DOS?
meboard

[ Edited ]

Hi tbizzy,

I think i had more or less the same problem. (Good reason to keep all my data in my profile now.)

I don't know why or how the files were deleted but it got me really stressed out.

Luckily my brother advised me to try some file recovery software and that did the trick for me.

He had a licence already which i could use but i checked and they got a free to try version (14 days) too.

The software is use is the file recovery software from auslogics.

(http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/file-recovery)

But there are lots of these kinds of software available.

good luck!!

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

tbizzy,

I have tested this, but could not find any case where RapidDrive Advanced deleted existing files on the ultrabay HDD.  RDA moves the libraries from my C: drive to the ultrabay HDD without prompting me or asking for permission (which is the defect of RDA), but no files are deleted.  RDA does not format the ultrabay HDD or do anything else besides move files to it.  I'm sorry that I don't have any explanation for what you are experiencing, and I hope you can find a way to recover the files.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
tbizzy

someotherguy wrote:

tbizzy,

I have tested this, but could not find any case where RapidDrive Advanced deleted existing files on the ultrabay HDD.  RDA moves the libraries from my C: drive to the ultrabay HDD without prompting me or asking for permission (which is the defect of RDA), but no files are deleted.  RDA does not format the ultrabay HDD or do anything else besides move files to it.  I'm sorry that I don't have any explanation for what you are experiencing, and I hope you can find a way to recover the files.

What happened to the files you had on the ultrabay HDD?  It was a 160GB drive, and I had about 100GB of files.  the User folders from C: were 70GB, and that is the only folder I see on the secondary drive.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

In my case, whatever files I had on the ultrabay HDD are still there.

I'm using a 100GB ultrabay HDD with only 7.5GB of free space.  My user libraries are 50GB.  When RDA took over my system, it tried to move the libraries from C: drive to ultrabay HDD, but there wasn't room for all of them.  What files it couldn't move, stayed on C: drive.

I also uninstalled RDA, chose the option to copy my files back to original location, and this worked as well.  Now whatever files previously existed on my C: drive have been restored to my C: drive, and whatever files were on my ultrabay HDD are still on my ultrabay HDD.

Don't misinterpret my post as saying RDA is without serious bugs - it definitely has serious bugs, but I'm just not able to reproduce a case where existing files on ultrabay HDD are deleted.  And I still hope you are able to recover your files somehow.