Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
MC307

Lenovo Rapidboot issues with Norton

Just wanted to relate an issue I have experienced with Lenovo Rapidboot and Norton.  Rapidboot was causing issues with my Norton 360 - I was suddenly unable to access Norton following an upgrade and it turned out to be caused by Rapidboot.  I have uninstalled Rapidboot and the problem has been resolved.

More info on this link:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Unable-to-open-Norton-360-V6-0-following-PC-reboot/m-p/681...

Wanted to paste here in case any other users are eperiencing similar issues.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Lenovo Rapidboot issues with Norton

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting this information, I really appreciate it.

We have had problems with earlier versions of RapidBoot interfering with other software like this.

I downloaded a trial version of Norton 360, ran LiveUpdate to download all of the latest updates, restarted as prompted, and with RapidBoot version 1.12 I could not reproduce any issue.  After the LiveUpdate I am at Norton 360 version 6.1.1.8

Do you know if people are still having problems with RapidBoot version 1.12 and Norton 360?  Or is this only an issue with the older version of RapidBoot that was preloaded on some ThinkPads?

Paper Tape
moofly

Updated my RapidBoot to v1.12 (from v1.10) and my problems with Norton 360 have gone away.  I'm thinking it was older versions.

Thanks for this thread.  It helped get me on the right track!

Paper Tape
RLSmith46

I have an Edge e430 with whatever version of Rapidboot came with that build.

I installed Norton Security Suite (not Norton 360).

Norton will not coexist with Rapidboot.  Norton installs succefully, but when it needs to contact the Norton server for verification, it is unable to do that and deauthorizes the Norton Suite.

I worked with Norton support for several days to verify the problem.  Deinstalling Rapidboot solved the problem with Norton.

This is a known, verified problem with Norton.

802.11n
SMG47

Lenovo has pulled Rapidboot. Apparently because of some serious performance issues. Hopefully when it is re-released these issues will be gone
What's DOS?
dbrdk1

Just wanted to hear about any updates to this issue and whether or not the latest version of RapidBoot Shield (1.23) fixes this.  I've had the issue occur three times on my ThinkPad (T420) and it required a full uninstall/reinstall of Norton.  The fix would last up to several weeks and then fail again.  My latest go-round was this past weekend when I got a clue from a Xfinity/Comcast message board that RapidBoot was known to be a problem with Norton.  I chose to try the RapidBoot upgrade over the uninstall.  Anybody know if I'll be safe now?  Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

dbrdk1,

I recommend uninstalling RapidBoot Shield if it has caused problems like this on your computer.

What's DOS?
metten89

Hi

I have the same problem. My Norton 360 says that are is an error 8504,104 which is about RapidBoot. I have read that I should uninstall it, but I can't find RapidBoot on my computer. I have a Ideapad S12. I thought I should update it but I can't find an update on your website.

The wierd thing is that I couldn't access the internet through Firefox, but I can through Windows Explorer. But Norton keps saying that it can't update - like it can't connect to the web.

I hope you can help!

Yours sincerely

Mette Frølich

What's DOS?
edells

Hi,

I just had this problem when installing Norton AntiVirus. I went online to Norton Chat Support for assistance. The support tech did a Remote Logon and quickly found and deleted Rapidboot. I was then able to install and run Norton Antivirus without any problems.

I'm curious what will happen without having Rapidboot installed and if Lenovo will provide an updated replacement? Maybe an auto update thru ThinkVantage? Any ideas?

Thx.

What's DOS?
maitrifischer

I have read arround theinternet forums for days now. It appears that several people experience issues between Norton (N360 in my case) and Lenovo (T430 in my case) laptop.

The problem seems to involve the fingerprint software and in my case even the mobile broadband as well as Norton issues. In my case Norton just doesn't start up with windows everytime I boot.The funny thing is, my laptop's hard drive failed a last week. Got it replaced. Before that I had N360 running smoothly with my laptop. No problems (running Windows 7 BTW). Now this time, after reinstalling N360, i keeped getting weird problems; drivers would not startup (some registry issues) and if it was not that N360 wouldn't start up with my computer boot.

I tried everything, from completely removing norton (YES in the absolutely most correct way)  to reinstalling drivers... nothing solved.

then I came accross this: https://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-360-by-Comcast-Not-Working-on-Lenovo-Laptop-Proble...

-which lead me to find other people with similar problems.

Apparently Lenovo rapid boot had somehting to do with it but this didn't make any sense to me becasue I had the exact same hardware and software working seemlesly just a week ago. And then I realized there was one thing different. the stupid (and might I add, useless) simple tap software was still installed (I had gotte rid of it before).

So I uninstalled Simple tap... and IT's all good again! WORKS!

Now As I didn't even try to remove rapid boot, maybe there is an issue there too, but jsut to add to this conversation, it could be some problem with rapid boot and simple tap. Incase you have the problem and you are not using simple tap... let me know.

Maybe rapid boot is starting simple tap and that's interfearing with N360?