Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
gshahine
Accepted Solution

Lenovo Toolbox v12 update 55 makes toolbox crash

I got a pop up box that asked me to update toolbox to version 55. After updating, toolbox crashes every time I run it. I had to uninstall and reinstall the toolbox version found on the lenovo support website.

Glanced at the crash dump, it's something related to the Backup and Restore component where it's expecting some root directory to be the C drive.

I'm running a Win7 64-bit enterprise on a W500 Thinkpad model 4063-A74.

Did anyone face this issue? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

-guy

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: Lenovo Toolbox v12 update 55 makes toolbox crash

Hi,

I't a bit hard to tell what might be the exact issue in your case. 

Can you tell me, if the reintsall of the Toolbox fixed this situation once and for all ?
Also please tell me, where are you checking the error log , where you see the Backup and REcovery option.

My first thought was going more into the direction of the Rescue and Recovery application, which might sound similar and is currently the only backup and recovery application, that is shiped as Lenovo application. Do you have any additional applications like Rescue and Recovery on your system ?

Maybe a bit more description would help, or the exact error message.

Thanks

Cheers

Punch Card
mdonald

I have experienced the same problem with my ThinkPad Edge 14. I uninstalled the update, reinstalled the previous version and ignore the updates requests. :smileyhappy:

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
ok, then you can ignore it, or in case it bothers you from the Task bar, then just deactivate it:
- right click on the task bar->Toolbars-> and uncheck this option from here.

Feel free to makr this thread as closed, if you see it as closed.

Cheers

Blue Screen Again
daragh

I hope this helps, because I am disappointed that:

1. you didn't test this properly, and

2. so many people are having problems, and

3. the forums are saying this is solved, but IT'S NOT. :smileysad:

Had issues (T61/Win7/64-bit) with recent update that was ironically so brash as to say that startup errors had been fixed, so:

un-installed, and

downloaded latest version available on support website (lttsetup_60545012x64.exe)

Once it started, it wanted to do an automatic update (from version 12 to version 55, apparently), and downloaded 1.4Mb - prompted to install

As *it* installed, it *also* looked for more updates (?) and downloaded *another* 43Mb. It reported the following, which was the same as the update that broke it in the first place (but no new version # reported):

" * Improved startup time 

* Corrected startup and stability issues 

* Reduced memory and CPU footprint 

* Added new tests: WWAN, CUDA, Video ports 

* Enhanced accessibility 

* Improved Toolbar icon behavior"

It downloaded, reported 'Install complete' and provided a 'Finish' button.

Clicking on the icon in the toolbar (does it have to be SO big?), it starts up, but causes a Windows error:

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: pcdrcui.exe

Problem Signature 02: 6.0.5514.52

Problem Signature 03: 4be4b515

Problem Signature 04: mscorlib

Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 4a27471d

Problem Signature 07: 20c8

Problem Signature 08: 143

Problem Signature 09: N3CTRYE2KN3C34SGL4ZQYRBFTE4M13NB

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

I can still interact with the main window, so can see the Help|About reports v 6.0.5144.55

Note that the 'System Health' module is still 'processing' and the 'Enhanced Backup and Restore' component is the only one showing that spinning icon. I'm guessing that's where your issue is. 

Please let us know when you've tested the fix. Thanks.

lttsetup_60545012x64
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
@ daragh
please stop pasting one update to all threads. Please let's discuss it only in one thread.
Let's do it in:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Thinkvantage-Toolbox/td-p/204380/page/2

Thanks

Cheers

Blue Screen Again
gshahine

[ Edited ]

Hello Herik, Thanks for your reply.

I have tried many combinations of installing and uninstalling which includes restarting, uninstalling, running the setup from different locations, ...

I'm a software developer and I have Visual Studio 2010 installed on my machine, so when the application crashes, I can hook up to the process and find out the thrown exception. Although I can't reveal so much information from the exception since I don't have the symbols, but here are some details of what I'm able to see.

Exception details:

{System.ArgumentException: Object must be a root directory ("C:\") or a drive letter ("C").   at System.IO.DriveInfo..ctor(String driveName)   at PCDoctor.Utilities.SystemInformation.OperatingSystem.BackupAndRecovery.BackupLocation()   at PCDoctor.AddOns.Ltt.Categories.Health.ThinkVantageRescueAndRecoveryAddOn.BackupLocation()   at PCDoctor.AddOns.Ltt.Categories.Health.ThinkVantageRescueAndRecoveryAddOn.SetTemplateData(ActionItemStatus proposedStatus)   at PCDoctor.AddOns.Ltt.Categories.Health.ThinkVantageRescueAndRecoveryAddOn.AddBodyToContainer(IViewContainer viewContainer)}

Note: Uninstalling the new version and reinstalling the old one, doesn't solve the problem to me, I believe it's running away from the problem.

I hope this helps,

-guy

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
I'm glad, that you are another of my kind :smileywink: not just a user, but really skilled guy.

Anyway, to be honest I also don't have the source codes, so I cannot exactly tell, what exactly is going wrong.

The logic of Toolbox is to manage also othe applications like Rescue and Recovery (in the error it's described like this "BackupAndRecovery.BackupLocation()") and also the testing tool called PC Doctor. In this situation, there might be some issue with the detection of these components, although I cannot imagin, why it would error out, as in case that particular application is not detected, then it should just jump to the other application and check if it's installed. And in case it is installed, it will be shown in the option directory of the Toolbox.

Strange. Can you please specify your system a bit, becasue I have also Visual studio on my system, but 2007 and cannot see this issue.  
Strange

Will try to repro on some other machine.

Cheers

Blue Screen Again
daragh

Hi,

I just wanted to mention that I do not have rescue and recovery installed on my computer, and that my (windows) backup location is an UNC, and not mapped drive. That might be making the difference, and something to check. 

Herik, you should come back out of retirement because it seems that no paid employee of IBM is addressing this!

Cheers,

Daragh

Blue Screen Again
gshahine

Hey daragh,

I'm glad you mentioned the windows backup location. My windows backup location is set to a network path, once I changed it to a local drive ( D:\ ), toolbox stopped crashing. That's definitely a code defect in the new version of ThinkVantage Toolbox.

Hopefully it will get fixed in the next update.

Thank you all,

-guy