Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
phil5
Accepted Solution

Need help with recovery partition/create recovery media

Hi - first thing i did when I got my thinkpad is a clean w7 install, but then i thought about it and restored the recovery partition, which conviniently sits at the end of the drive, in order to create a factory backup dvd. Thing is, when i click on the autorun (lenovoqdrive.exe) and select 'create recovery media', i get an error stating that "program files (x86)\lenovo\factory recovery\recovburncd.exe" is missing... obviously since the os partition was overwritten.

I've tried RnR and looked on the software+drivers page and nothing comes up as "..\lenovo\factory recovery\" when installed. So where can i download the actual program that creates the recovery disks?

(I know its possible to restore the os from the *.wim files but i'd like leave that as a last resort.)

Token Ring
phil5

Re: Need help with recovery partition/create recovery media

ok so i can access the wim files with 7zip and recover the "program files (x86)\lenovo\factory recovery\" folder. now the process starts (recovburncd.exe) but i get "Unable to find files for recovery media"...

Token Ring
phil5

alright here's what i did for those who mightve had the same issue: as mentioned previously, i restored the Q partition with (your favourite free partition recovery tool), then booted from a winpe usb (with imagex) generated from win aik (free).

first i erased the windoze partition (from winpe boot usb) with diskpart and recreated the 2 partitions S and C (and left Q as is) by hand according to 'recovery.ini' found on Q. secondly i restored S and C from 'sdrivebackup.wim' and 'cdrivebackup.wim', respectively, using imagex.exe, which is basically two one liners.

finally i tried fixing the bcd by hand according to 'bcdinfo.txt', also found on Q, but that didnt really work out... so i just popped in a win7 bootable usb and it rewrote the bcd by itself (i guess). the last step was fixing the mbr using bootrec.exe /fixmbr and /fixboot.

atm i just booted and afaict it behaves exactly like the first boot from factory. cheers

Broadband 3G
JDay

[ Edited ]

Another way to fix the BCD is to boot a Windows 7 dvd (make sure it's 32-bit or 64-bit, depending on what you have installed), select the "Repair Your Computer" option, and use the "Startup Repair" tool. Then you can reboot the DVD and the OS will appear and you can then use the commands to fixmbr and fixboot.

EDIT: I've had to do this a few times, for some reason I couldn't burn the restore disks when I got my T510 and the restore set Lenovo sent me was not complete (missing stuff after restore, didn't work as good).

Paper Tape
nurazem

Hello.

Could you please explain in detail the step where you restored S and C from 'sdrivebackup.wim' and 'cdrivebackup.wim'. And also fixing mbr using bootrec.exe.

Thank you.

Token Ring
phil5

[ Edited ]

@nurazem, first follow the steps to create a winpe bootable usb: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744530(WS.10).aspx

make sure you do step 2 (imagex).

boot from the winpe usb (F12 at boot, select usb drive). a command prompt should appear.

use diskpart to recreate the partitions S and C (do not erase Q). the partition specs such as size, type, label, letter, active, are found in file 'recovery.ini' hidden on Q (print it out or use another computer). example of diskpart usage:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 1

delete partition

select partition 2

delete partition

create partition primary size=1199

select partition 1

active

format fs=ntfs label="SYSTEM_DRV" quick

assign letter=s

create partition primary

select partition 2

format fs=ntfs label="Windows7_OS" quick

assign letter=c

exit

--

(the above is only an example, see your 'recovery.ini' file for correct settings.)

to recover S and C from wim files with imagex use these two commands:

imagex.exe /apply /verify Q:\factoryrecovery\Sdrivebackup.wim 1 S:\

imagex.exe /apply /verify Q:\factoryrecovery\Cdrivebackup.wim 1 C:\

now reboot into a windows dvd or windows repair disk. repair startup (should be automatic). reboot into windows dvd again. go into advanced tools, choose command prompt, type:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

reboot into windows first startup.

Punch Card
zuku

this problem is similar to mine so I ask here:

is possible to recreate recovery partitions (S and Q) after clean install of windows on formatted drive?

Now i'm using my new laptop X220 with Win 7 ENG version installed but soon I'm going to format all drive and reinstall windows with my native Polish language. Is any way after this installation to create Recovery (with working Thinkvantage button during boot) which can restore my new Polish system? I've done USB recovery drive, and made a backup of all files from S and Q partitions.

Hi phil,

I already had my Q wiped out. is there any way to restore this partiotion? thank you

Token Ring
phil5

[ Edited ]

zuku, having a recovery partition on the same drive you are using is not recommended. but i'm sure you can substitute the image on partition Q with your own... that being said, in the event that you would need to recover a clean install, i would just reinstall windows from the dvd.

anj2208, you can restore it only if it hasn't been overwritten. if you've deleted the partition, created a new one over it and installed windows, it has been overwritten and cannot be restored.

Blue Screen Again
anj2208

thanks Phil5,

My unit was given by my company, when i got it i has ubuntu installed. Now after installing windows i notice there's a

11.75 GB hidden partition which is not visible in MY Computer. The status is - Layout-Simple, Type - Basic, File System - (Blank), Status-Healthy, Primary Partition. Could this be the recovery partition? If it is how do i recover them

When i right click at the partition under disk management , the only available option is to delete the volume.

Anybody, Pls help. Thank you