Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
cdmccool

New computer, but the Product Recovery program has been removed and other strange issues.

I just ordered a ThinkCentre A61e that was supposed to be new, but when I received it yesterday it had Circuit City System software on it.  When I first boot up, Windows asks me to setup an IMS Admin configuration, and if I click no, then it automatically shuts down the computer.  If I click yes, it starts running a script and basically locks me out of everything.

I went to Rescue and Recovery, and noticed there's another backup image named IMSAdmin there.  I tried to do a Factory restore, and it says the Product Recovery program has been removed.

Is there anyway I can download the Product Recovery program, and a Factory restore backup image?

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Re: New computer, but the Product Recovery program has been removed and other strange issues.

where did you get the computer from?or was it given to you by anyone?if you can still acess windows you must be able to create recovery media

if the pc is not a new one then the reocvery media should already have been made(you can make recovery media just once)

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
cdmccool

Re: New computer, but the Product Recovery program has been removed and other strange issues.

[ Edited ]

I purchased the computer from the Lenovo Outlet.  It was supposed to be New, not Refurbished or Redistributed.

I think what I'm going to do is just nuke the hard drive, and boot the Vista installation from a USB flash drive.  The computer was supposed to come with Vista Business, but Windows XP Pro was installed.  I called tech support, and they said it was ordered with Windows XP.  I could've sworn I ordered Vista, then I decide to turn the computer over and sure enough there's a Microsoft CoA and product key for Windows Vista Business.(I was looking for it on the back, I didn't think they would put it on the side)

The BIOS setup wouldn't let me in without a password.  I had to clear the CMOS to get in.

This is the first time I've done business with Lenovo.  I'm unimpressed to say the least.

Edit:  There's no optical drive(it wasn't supposed to have one either), that's why I have to install from a USB flash drive.

Message Edited by cdmccool on 08-23-2008 03:28 PM
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

if you are sure that you ordered vista business then you are entitled to get what you want contact mark he may be able to sort your issue out

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
cdmccool

It doesn't matter since they stuck the Microsoft CoA and product key for Vista Business on the side of the computer, I'll just install it myself.

It is a PITA though.  I couldn't get the computer to boot from my USB drive, so I'm going to gank my brother's optical drive tomorrow and install it that way.