Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
VaDreamer

Re: Password Manager No Longer Working

So then, why do web applications work correctly and desktop applications (at least one in particular)

have stopped?

I ran a registry optimizer several weeks ago, could this affect it? I have reinstalled PM since then though and still no joy.

Fanfold Paper
VaDreamer

So then, why do webapps work correctly and desktops apps (at least one in particular) are no loger detected?

I ran a registry cleaner several weeks ago, could this affect it? I have since re-installed PM, but is still does not detect the desktop app.

Token Ring
mjdl

I don't want to sound like an old schmo, but *never* *ever* run so-called "registry optimizers", since they cannot know all the registry entries installed by currently installed programs nor the implications of removing registry entries.

Those optimizing programs are a complete disaster, frankly. Stay clear. (This is from my own experience on Windows XP.)
Fanfold Paper
VaDreamer

Thanks 'old schmoe' :smileyhappy: .. I'm probably an older schmoe.

Bottom line here though, is that uninstalling and re-installing Password Manager should 'fix' anything that might have been broken by a registry optimizer.

Token Ring
mjdl

In an ideal world, I'd agree with you: reinstallation of a particular program should fix everything. However, these registry optimizers sometimes fiddle around with the registry entries for system or common files that the program depends on; those files are still present on the machine--if the installer has the logic to install dependencies, it won't be invoked--and sometimes require particular registry data to function.

In the case of the "Password Manager", it's probably depending on a host of other components: fingerprint drivers, Client Security Solution files, Lenovo System framework files, etc. Vdery easy for things to be "brittle".

One of the dumb customer-unfriendly things that Lenovo has been doing in recent times is abandoning the creation of full-function installers (usually created with Installshield) that were designed to allow repair as well as uninstall operations using the Windows native installer database (there are other Windows installer creators that will do the same thing as well). Instead, most of their installers throw the files on the customers machines, register whatever the components need in the registry--and do the reverse when uninstalling

Designing such a repair facility is considerable extra work and expense for the developers, since every installed component has to be registered in the Windows installer database, and actions designed to upgrade, repair, or remove the different components of the installed program and their dependencies--which sometimes require changes to the design of the programs themselves to make that easier. But the upside for the Lenovo's customers is considerable: simply click on "repair", and return (with a bit of luck...) that program to the functioning state it was in when first installed.

And there is an upside for Lenovo as well: precisely documented effects and dependencies for each of their programs on the various Windows platforms they are installed on (i.e. configuration control), which is good for ongoing development efforts, and less customer frustration and long support calls.

Blue Screen Again
rmbennett

I downloaded this version, but it does not support Windows 7. Can someone please supply a link to a Windows 7 version of Password Manager? Thanks.

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

here you go this is for 7 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73785

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC