Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
cliffdi

Password Manager Type & Transfer tool problem

I know PM doesn't recognise login pages on all websites, but I thought the T&T tool was meant to cover the websites it misses. If I go to a site it misses, I can bring up the T&T tool via the hotkey, but whatever I do, it won't transfer the text I enter (i.e. the user id or the password) to the web page or store it in PM.

I'm sure I'm using it correctly but please let me know if I doing something stupid. I simply go to the site I was to use it at, hit the hotkey to bring up the T&T tool, enter, say, the user id in the T&T tool's window, drag the red target bitmap over the user id field on the web page and drop it in. Problem is nothing gets entered into the text box on the drop. Pressing Ok on the T&T window just closes the window and doesn't store anything in PM either.

I'm using CSS/PM V8.1 on Vista Home Premium 32 bit and have installed the certificate patch for atcssint.dll. Fingerprint recognition is working fine (after the certificate patch was installed obviously - it doesn't work without that).

I saw the thread about replacing CSS/PM with Omnipass but it'd be nice to get this working if at all possible. Has anyone managed to successfully get the T&T tool working for those sites that PM misses?

Cheers

Cliff

Hardware: 3000 N200 0769 K2G, 2GB RAM

Punch Card
cliffdi

Re: Password Manager Type & Transfer tool problem

Some further info. I've narrowed this down to the Type and Transfer tool not recognising browser windows, which seems bizarre. I've tried both IE 7 and Firefox 3.

I can tell it recognises other windows as it draws a thin orange border around the window when I drag the target icon over that window  (eg notepad), but no border is painted for IE or Firefox windows.

Can anyone confirm if they get the same behaviour?

Cliff

Punch Card
sfauzia

[ Edited ]

cliffdi wrote:

Some further info. I've narrowed this down to the Type and Transfer tool not recognising browser windows, which seems bizarre. I've tried both IE 7 and Firefox 3.

I can tell it recognises other windows as it draws a thin orange border around the window when I drag the target icon over that window  (eg notepad), but no border is painted for IE or Firefox windows.

Can anyone confirm if they get the same behaviour?

Cliff

Yes, I can confirm the same behavior (I tried with Notepad, too), with my X61 tablet. It draws a thin red border (perhaps the color is subjective, or we're using different versions of ThinkVantage Password Manager) around the target window, and properly inserts the text I typed into the Type & Transfer dialogue box. I can also confirm that it doesn't work with Firefox 3.03 or IE 7.

Message Edited by sfauzia on 10-11-2008 11:39 AM
Paper Tape
remedu

same problem with my t61 and vista enterprise.

Is it work for anybody ??

Regards

Serial Port
btownsend

I cannot get Type & Transfer target tool to work on any browser windows (IE 8, Windows XP). The entire ThinkVantage Password Manager login system doesn't work without the ability to use this tool. I cannot get it to save any new entries, cannot get Password Manager to import the saved data from the previous version that did work.

Any advice?

Bill

Punch Card
joelfisch

was there ever any resolution to this issue? I am with Firefox 3.5.5 and have the same issue. I can release the text only to fields that are totally useless.

Fanfold Paper
__philippe

Greetings everyone,

The "Type-and-Transfer" Tool, strangely enough, does only work in Windows applications, but does NOT work in web pages, by Lenovo's own admission in the following message:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70769.html

Why on earth was the Tool deliberately designed NOT to work within Web browsers pages ?

Unless I am mistaken, the "T&T Tool" appears to be the only obvious mechanism to capture login/password information from some "difficult" web sites which fail to trigger the regular PM login prompt (Would you like to save this web site with PM?)

Lenovo, any hope to get a fix released for this annoying glitch,  pretty please?

Thanks,

__philippe

TP R61i
Client security - Password Manager 8.10.0006.00
Win XP Pro SP3
IE Explorer 7.0.5730.11

Token Ring
mjdl

Old thread, but I'm going to add some speculation about the reasons why T&T does not recognize text input fields displayed in browser windows.

The mechanism that T&T uses is probably the Windows internal "control ID" for the particular input field. In other words, T&T queries the operating system what name was assigned to the input field onto which the user has dragged the cross-hair pointer.

Whether Firefox or Internet Explorer, input fields in browser windows may not be accessible to that particular query mechanism, and the password manager uses other ones to deal with these browsers.

My speculation is that T&T does not share the same set of text input field recognition mechanisms that are built into the password manager. Abit absurd, if true.

This is something that Lenovo needs to pay attention to, since it confuses and frustrates users of the security suite.