Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: Password Manager compatibility issue with FireFox 5

@All,

For those who have already applied the Vista and XP FF5 patch, please update your CSS to 8.21.0020.00 first.

So please uninstall your FF5 patch, install latest CSS then only patch with FF5.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/tvtcss82mr_0020ww.exe
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/tvtcss82mr_0020ww.txt

Vista (64-bit)
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/tvtcss82v64mr_0020ww.exe
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/tvtcss82v64mr_0020ww.txt

I am still getting a hold on the Win 7 one guys .... hang tight.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Kaz
Punch Card
Kaz

Update to latest CSS, then applying patch worked for me on my Win XP T60.  Thanks.

--
T60, 8744-5BU: 2.0 GHz T7200, 4 GB RAM, 15.4" WSXGA+, 1680x1050 ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, Win 7 Ultimate w/SP1 - 64-bit
Token Ring
mjdl

[ Edited ]

Query to JamesZ: what do you make of the remarks by Asa Dotzler, one of the lead Mozilla Firefox developers, in a discussion about Firefox version numbers and the Firefox development process:

"We have and we will break add-on API compatibility with every release, certainly binary add-on compat. We will be adding major new features or doing serious re-architecuring with every release. See Azure landing in 7. See Type Inference in JS landing in 8. E10s will land in one of these updates before long.

We're making serious changes every 18 weeks that dramatically impact that "internal" audience. I think it would be a lie to the call those kinds of changes minor updates. We'd be telling add-on authors and Mozilla developers that these are minor changes and they're just not."

See Asa Dotzler's comment at July 11, 2011 4:57 PM on http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/2011/07/firefox_version_numbers_cognitive_disson.html

This sounds like a completely unsustainable process for add-on developers that use binary components. Can the Password Manager be reworked to use the "official" add-on API and SDK, and thus avoid some of these update problems? See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/ for the SDK and documentation.

P.S. I think Mozilla Firefox management have completly lost the plot on this: Firefox Add-ons are a *major* feature and advantage of that browser. Impeding and making difficult stable add-on development is a *major* disincentive to using the browser for both users and developers, and thus market share. Perhaps a note from a Lenovo developer to the Mozilla Firefox management re. "We're thinking of stopping developing our Firefox extension because of no stable API" might get them to use their brains a bit. Most software product developers with Firefox's market share recognize the importance of stable APIs for their continued success.

Paper Tape
fourlenovos

Thank you for all of  your hard work in getting the patch and CSS to work together. The patch worked for me after updating CSS to 8.21.0020.00.

Paper Tape
ettubrute

Worked for me too after the CSS version update! :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

What's DOS?
PiotrR

Hi,
and when something will be under WIN7 64bit?
I greet

Core Memory
friedmasi

[ Edited ]

After updating CSS to  8.21.0020.00 and patching with

CSS 8.21 patch for Firefox 4 and 5 for Windows Vista (32-bit,64-bit), XP (32-bit)
I still have problems. When I launch FF5, it starts without any error-messages, the Addon "ThinkVantage Password Manager 3.0" is activated in FF5 - but autopassing of passwords to websites doesn't  work. CSS and FF5 still don`t work together. Anyone with the same problem??
How can I uninstall the patch mentioned above, as there is no uninstall.exe? There is also no possibility to uninstall the patch via the XP-Software Control Panel, as the "Password Manager Patch for Firefox 5" is not listed in the "Installed programs"-list.

Notes:

1)  I made an restore with an older Backup of my system with CSS 8.21.0015, Patch for FF 4  and did uninstall the Patch, then CSS 8.21.0015 and FF.  Then I made a complete new installation of CSS 8.21.0020, FF5 and the patch mentioned above. Result: Same as above, autopass of passwords to websites doesn't` work.

2) The "Fehler Konsole" (error console) of FF5 shows among others the following message:

Fehler: couldn't open library     Quelldatei: chrome://tvtpwm/content/tvtpwm_jsctypes.js

Zeile: 26  (lib = ctypes.open(cTypeDllPath);
Could this be the reason for my problem? How to solve?
3) CSS 8.21.0020 and IE8 work fine together - no problems with autopass of passwords.

4) CSS 8.21.0015 with Patch for FF 4 and FF 4 worked also fine together - no problems with autopass of passwords 

4. The language of my XP -  system is: de (german), all system updates (including BIOS and ThinkVantage Software) are up to date, the whole system works fine without any further problems.

5. I hope, LENOVO or anyone else can help me to fix my Password Manager Problem with FireFox 5.

Thanks for your help.

Thinkpad T61 Maschinenmodell: 6460-8NG - T7500 2x2.2 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 15,4" (1680*1050) - NVidia Quadro NVS 140m - 160 GB HDD --- WINDOWS XP Pro SP3 (32-bit), Sprache: Deutsch
Token Ring
mjdl

(I haven't upgraded yet to FF 5.0, still using FF 4.0.1)

I don't think there's anyway to revert to the earlier version except to uninstall and then reinstall CSS, then reapply the earlier patch that worked for FF 4.0 (and stay on FF 4.0.1--don't let FF auto-update).

Lenovo could save us a bit of such trouble by ensuring that the patch installer archives the earlier FF extension (a simple zip file in the base CSS installation directory would do) and any registry changes, and then, if the user uninstalls the patch, simply removes the new file, expand the zip file, and do whatever registry changes are necessary.

What's DOS?
wnsmith42

Any ETA for Win 7 fix?

Serial Port
Mainframer

Per JameZ's instructions, I upgraded my XP SP3 (32-bit) T60p's CSS from 8.21.0015.00 to 8.21.0020.00 and then applied the FF5 patch. The password manager now works as it should with FF5.

A big thanks to the Lenovo staff for responding to this issue so quickly.

Now I'm anxiously awaiting the fix for my T400 with Windows 7 (64-bit).