Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
vk_ref

Please help with ThinkVantage System Update

I can't work with ThinkVantage System Update software any more. I tried to uninstall or reinstall or repair it somehow, but I failed. Please help!

When I open downloaded file "systemupdate314-2008-5-15", it tells me:

"A version of IBM Update Connector or System Update has been detected on your system. For this installation to continue the existing version must be uninstalled. Would you like to uninstall the existing version?"

I must answer "yes", or the installation closes. Next message from Windows Installer is (I translated that massage from Czech):

"The function you want to use is on the network device which is not available now. Click OK to repeat action, or enter another path containing installation package System Update.msi."

It should have been somewhere here: "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pft40.tmp\ " but it isn't.

The package was probably deleted from my notebook, I don't know how it happened. I restored the package System Update.msi with restoration program, but it was already damaged and doesn't work any more. The installation won't continue.

Can you help me find the installation package "System Update.msi" for ThinkVantage System Update software on web, or could you send it by email from your computer? I have ThinkPad R61 (8918-DFG), but it might work from another type as well.

My email is vk.ref@email.cz, I am from Czech Republic.

Many thanks for any help!

coeus2008

Re: Please help with ThinkVantage System Update

You just want a link to download SystemUpdate.msi? if so, you can try this: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate314-2008-5-15.exe,
Punch Card
vk_ref

Unfortunately it's not so, I have downloaded this setup "systemupdate314-2008-5-15.exe" yet, but during installation it needs the installation package of exact name "System Update.msi" - it might be installation package from lenovo or from microsoft or someone else, I don't know.

I need the file "System Update.msi", the best would be if you (or someone) could search it in the computer and then send it by email, or put it somewhere on net and give a link.

Many thanks for help
peterearle

Please help with ThinkVantage System Update installation problem

I am also having problems installing systemupdate314-2008-10-20.exe. When I execute the program it recognises that a previous version exists and asks to uninstall. I respond yes. Please wait until Windows configures System Update appears next. Gathering Information bar appears until the following message. "Error 1316:A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\WNDOWS\Installer\System Update.msi. After clicking OK the programmer reverses progress and quits. I downloaded Windows Installer from the Microsoft website and reinstalled it but the same failure occurs.

I am running Windows XP on a R40 2681-K8U. ... peter

Blue Screen Again
M56Zp9r7

Hi,

I am running a R52 with the Thinkvantage System Update.  I just had to do a system recovery last February and everything was fine.  I went to do my weekly check on System update and it said the update software needed to update itself.  I allowed it to update and during the installation I got BSOD.  I restarted and everything seemed fine, but the system update link on desktop was missing.  Also missing were the files in the Program files folder. I tried to do a system restore with no success of restoring the system update.  I tried downloading the program and reinstall and got the same error you did, except it keeps asking for the disc that System Update was installed from or a different location to find the System Update.msi file.  I don't have a disc as my thinkpad came preloaded and there are no files in the program files folder for system update.  I know this is a software problem as my system update was working just fine until it tried to update itself. 

Please help as I have not been able to update my system since August 08.  I can't uninstall (wants msi file), I can't install over the old copy because it wants to uninstall it first.

Punch Card
vk_ref

Hi,

just some ideas, I'm no professional. I'm not sure what BSOD is, but looks like your porgram was uninstalled but during the process made an error. Cleaning registry with any free or trial program might help, but  probably won't. Somewhere on the forum I read the .msi folder could be downloaded from the microsoft site, but I have never found it (I've never looked for it well)

If you don't find the .msi folder, might help sending it from another ntb (via mail...) or uploading somewhere on the web.

V.

peterearle

I have been able to solve the System Update msi problem (but have additiuonal ones now). Th problem seems to be as a result of Lenovo's System Update not being fully installed / deleted / upgraded. System Update uses Microsoft's Add / Delete Proram facility (in the Control Panel). (System Update now stalls when installing individual updates).

The cure to the problem for me waso go to www.microsoft.com site and downloaded a utility called Windows Install Cleanup. Install this and run it. The result will be a list... go to System Update on the list and remove it. Then try reinstalling the newer version of System Update. 

Blue Screen Again
M56Zp9r7

Thank you for your response to my problem.

I have ran a registry cleaner at the time of the system crash(BSOD, blue screen of death) while system update was trying to update itself. It didnt find anything.  I have also ran it since then with nothing related to system update found.  I too tried to download the  .msi file from microsoft and the link was dead.    I am at a loss for other ideas, I just reformatted and reinstall everything in Feb last year and really dont want to have to do it again, but trying to keep up with updates manually with IBM is just too confusing for me.  Any further assistance you can give will be appreciated. 

Blue Screen Again
M56Zp9r7

Thank you for your suggestion.  May I ask what other problems you are having now?      Are they related to the windows install cleaner use?    I have been having a problem installing a security update (i have a service request in with microsoft now) and it has something to do with windows installer program too.  I wonder if this could be related to the system update install/uninstall problems?  I have all my other windows updates install correctly but just one has a problem and says it installs when it doesnt.

Thanks again for your help with this problem.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
peterearle

Have you tried downloading the utility and running it? If so what has been the result? I see that another user tried this and the solution that helped me did not help another user.

The problem that I now have is that the System Update stalls after downloading the updates. So I have learned to download 1 fix at a time... the 'code' actually goes to C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update. Then execute the code in the folder for that specific update.

I have posted a note to ask whether after installed the code can be just deleted. I believe so as it just sits there and takes a lot of space but I have not received a response.

OK? ... peter