Support in other languages: 
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Potential issues with "RapidDrive Advanced" software

In October 2011, Lenovo released and preloaded "RapidDrive Advanced" software to help users that have both an mSATA SSD and an internal HDD.  The software was designed to help users migrate their desktop, downloads, and library folders from the small mSATA SSD to the large HDD.  Unfortunately the software has some issues that may result in your files being moved to a removable device such as an eSATA or Ultrabay HDD.

At this time, Lenovo recommends uninstalling "RapidDrive Advanced" software to prevent possible unintended behavior of the application.

1.  To know whether RapidDrive Advanced is installed on your system, type "RapidDrive Advanced" into the start menu.  If it is not found, then the software is not installed and no further action is needed.

2.  To know whether RapidDrive Advanced has moved your desktop, downloads, and library folders, run "RapidDrive Advanced" from the start menu.  When the application loads, look at the right-hand panel under "Large capacity HDD drive".  If it says, "Your system is currently running in a reduced capacity mode", then RapidDrive Advanced has not yet activated and your system is at risk for potential future data loss.  Lenovo recommends to immediately uninstall RapidDrive Advanced following the instructions at the end of this article.

3.  If RapidDrive Advanced says "RapidDrive Advanced has automatically placed the following user libraries and folders on the HDD", then it means that your desktop, downloads, and libraries have been moved from your SSD to another device.  If you know where your files are, and you like the configuration changes that RapidDrive Advanced has made, then you may consider keeping it installed.  You are not at risk for potential data loss in this case.

To uninstall RapidDrive Advanced:

a.  open the control panel

b.  click on "Programs" and then "Uninstall a program"

c.  in the list of installed programs, click on "RapidDrive Advanced"

d.  click on the "Uninstall" button and follow the on-screen prompts to uninstall the software.

For more information, please refer to the following document on the support website:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT062849

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Re: Potential issues with "RapidDrive Advanced" software

Good info, thanks for posting this.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Fanfold Paper
Le-Nouveau

BTW, Lenovo "Tech Support" in the US (which answers the phone as "IBM") has no idea whatsoever about this and declined to assist me, despite the fact that I purchased a four-year warranty.

Paper Tape
doug-jensen

The RDA uninstaller and its ReadMe are dated Jan 2012.  My T420 was built in February 2012 and came with RDA.

I have C: on the 160GB SSD and D: on a 1TB HDD in the Ultrabay where the optical drive normally goes.

If RDA was discontinued before my machine was built, why did it come with RDA? I have RDA activated, and it appears to copy instead of move My Documents from C to D; when I boot, RDA pops up and says it failed to delete C: My Documents, and then it says 'No documents were moved.'  But there is a current dated copy of My Documents on D:, and indeed there is still a current dated C: My Documents

Should I uninstall RDA? is it working or not? It is neither case 2 nor 3 in your description.

Lenovo's ReadMe gives no information about the consequences if you have activated RDA.

Thank you.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

The RDA uninstaller will attempt to undo whatever it did when it was activated.  It will try to move your desktop and library folders back to the C:\ drive.  If there is not enough room on the C:\ drive, then the uninstaller will leave the files on the D:\ drive.  

In your case it seems like RDA never fully activated, or never successfully moved all the files from C: to D:, so I don't know what the uninstaller will do.  So here's what I recommend for your case:

1.  turn system off

2.  remove the ultrabay HDD 

3.  boot the system without the ultrabay HDD

4.  uninstall RDA

5.  turn system off

6.  insert the ultrabay HDD

7.  manually locate your library folders wherever you want them, and set up the library links by right-clicking on the libaries and using the "location" tab.    e.g. right-click on "my documents" -> properties -> location

Let me know if you run into any problems or need more help

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Busman

I bought a W520 in January with an Intel SSD as the primary hard drive.  If I understand things properly, RapidDrive Advanced is totally superfulous for my system, since I have no spinning HD.  I would guess that my system probably does not have the micro SSD that RapidDrive uses to speed up access of files, but I have no documentation that sheds light on this.

It makes me wonder why RapidDrive Advanced was installed in my system in the first place, but perhaps Lenovo has a W520 software package that gets installed in all systems regardless of the configuration.

But I degress.  My question has to do with a recommended critical update from Lenovo for the uninstallation of RapidDrive Advanced.  The RapidDrive software is installed on my system, but it has never been enabled..  Should I use the update to remove RapidDrive from the system?   Does it matter?

And, while we're at it -- can anyone shed light on the question of whether or not a W520 with an SSD for the primary hard drive has the micro SSD installed as well? 

W520 4270CTO: i7-2760QM, 16GB RAM, Samsung 830 Series SSD 256GB, Quadro 1000M, Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

1.  you should definitely uninstall RapidDrive Advanced software because it could move the files from your Intel SSD to any eSATA HDD or ultrabay HDD that you attach to your computer, and you probably don't want that.  Whether you use the ThinkVantage System Update to do the uninstallation, or if you uninstall it yourself from the Programs and Features control panel makes no difference.

2.  your W520 does not have the mSATA SSD unless you installed one yourself

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Busman

I appreciate the information.  Thanks!!!

W520 4270CTO: i7-2760QM, 16GB RAM, Samsung 830 Series SSD 256GB, Quadro 1000M, Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
Fanfold Paper
maille

There is not enough space on my SSD to uninstall. Can you clarify how this happens as I've been using the program flawlessly for a while now, most stuff except the 40GB of windows is stored in my 500GB caddy, never had any issue with transfers to other devices

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

maille wrote:

There is not enough space on my SSD to uninstall. Can you clarify how this happens as I've been using the program flawlessly for a while now, most stuff except the 40GB of windows is stored in my 500GB caddy, never had any issue with transfers to other devices

maille,

Is your caddy installed permanently?  If so then it sounds like RapidDrive Advanced is working OK for you so I would just leave it installed.

The issue was that RapidDrive Advanced could move your files to a removable device unexpectedly.  That won't happen in your case since the files are already located on the caddy HDD.