Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
zilla
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 14

Re: Power Manager Guage: Genuine Lenovo Battery Not Attached

hausman wrote:

An additional issue and concern: Lenovo doesn't sell replacement batteries for older ThinkPad models.

I believe IBM has "end of service" withdrawing spare parts after 7 years. So if you intend to keep your Thinkpad bought in 2002 for another 2-3 years ...

On the other hand those Thinkpads probably didn't have a power manager that had this problem :smileywink:

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Fanfold Paper
mieses

[ Edited ]

This warning about non-genuine batteries is really very poor user experience,  especially considering that the quality of the non-genuine batteries is just as poor as the quality of genuine Lenovo batteries.

My genuine Lenovo T61P battery (manufactured by Sanyo) suddenly died 2 weeks after the warranty expired.  Pefectly timed planned obsolescence!  Of course I did not replace it with a genuine battery.  The non-genuine batteries cost 3x less ($50 vs $150) and have a longer warranty! 

Message Edited by mieses on 05-18-2009 08:04 PM
Message Edited by mieses on 05-18-2009 08:08 PM
Fanfold Paper
DtD-Software

I agree, this is terrible. I just got a non-official replacement for my high-capacity battery that had randomly died for no apparent reason. If this doesn't stop there is no way I will ever buy another ThinkPad or recommend one to friends (which i do frequently I might add.) If we just bought an unofficial battery, we aren't about to turn around and buy an official one just because you are nagging us.

~DtD

What's DOS?
JGCSUF

I agree with all posted messages on "Genuine Lenovo Battery Not Attached" message.  This does not sit well.  I have found third party batteries to be as good or better than Lenovo batteries when purchased from reliable source.  Lenovo punishing users for not using their overpriced batteries.

Does anyone have a link to Lenovo support for official position or resolution?  Has anyone contacted Lenovo support?  What was their response?

What's DOS?
bjfaber

I have been using a non genuine battery for about a month now, I believe I have found a way to disable all balloons from the Power Manager. This works for me cause the only thing I care about is being able to see the guage, not any of the balloon messages it gives (especially the non genuine battery one).

Here it goes:

Open regedit

Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Lenovo>PRDCTR>Client>PWRMGR>0101

In this folder create a new DWORD named EnableBalloon and set the value to 0

hope this works/helps

I did this on a T60 running XP

What's DOS?
jochy

Thanks for the info. It got me to solve my issue,

Now here is the info for Windows 7 (ENT, Ultimate & Professional)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data

Modify the DWORD on  BallonStayTime from 9 to 1 and make shure it's a Heximal. It won't even bother you anymore!

Running @  R60e / 3gb & 300GB! Living and Loving the Life!!!!! (Duh left my XPS m1330 for this one!)

What's DOS?
plw321

[ Edited ]

I have several X61 Tablets and would like to turn off the message. We are running XP tablet edition and our reg don't match your.

Our path is in to get to the PWRMGR is in the local machine tree and it doesn't have the 0101 folder

I tried adding the Dword anyway but it isn't removing the warning.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PDub

What's DOS?
plw321

Never mind I just uninstalled the power management. I'm done with Lenovo anyway.

What's DOS?
krypticide

Simply uncheck "Periodically show messages about battery condition" under Power Manager > Battery > Battery Maintenance.

What's DOS?
stevecobb12550

Good job!  That fix worked perfectly to shut off that pesky balloon.  I don't know what Lenovo is complaining about anyway, since my replacement battery was also made in China.