Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Flesh
Accepted Solution

Power Manager issues at Windows startup and launching PWMUI.EXE

Hello everybody.
I looked up the forum, but did not find appropriate solutions.

My OS is MS XP Professional SP3 with the lates updates from MS. And I have 2 issues (seems like interrelated)

Issue-1. An exception occurs on Windows startup: 
“RUNDLL: An exception occurred while trying to run “C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\PWRMGTR.DLL, PwrMgrBkGndMonitor””. 

After pressing “OK”:
“.NET-BroadcastEventWindow.2.0.0.0.6e8caf.0: rundll32.exe – Application Error: The instruction at “0x783a3457” referenced memory at “0x10069de4”. The memory could not be “read””.

After pressing “OK” following message says that DLL can not be executed or something like that, to send error report to MS.

Issue-2. Power Manager does not launch
When I press Fn+F3 combination, and click “Manage Settings …”, error messages appears:
“Power Manager: Power Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience”. The same situation if I launch “C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities PWMUI.EXE” directly.

Re-installation doesn’t help.

Current version of Power Manager is 1.0.0.0. However , it offered to download another version 1.3.5 (or something like that) via ThinkVantage System Update.

Thank you in advance!

Bit Torrent
Vince69

Re: Power Manager issues at Windows startup and launching PWMUI.EXE

Hello mate,

The latest version is the 1.89 there : http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70602

You should try to completely uninstall the old version before installing the last one.

And try as well to clean your registry with someting like CCleaner.

DLL problems come often from registry.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Paper Tape
Flesh

Thank you very much.
I tried so: 1) uninstall Power Manger (+ ThinkPad PM Driver), 2) launch Cleaner, 3) download and install PM ver 1.89.
The first Windows start was without initial error. I tried to launch PM from Start menu, previous (well known) error message appeared.
After I rebooted, all started from the beginning…

Then I restored my old (shipped from the factory) PM from “C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\PWRMGR”. I saw something strange on the monitor: some windows were with new User Interface, some with old one. “About…” command didn’t respond.

I launched ThinkVantage System Update again. It offered to install new version of PM (in Recommended updated tab) and PM Driver (in Optional updated tab).

After acceptation, installation and restart everything started to work!

To sum up I guess that the root cause was obsolete Driver and System Update utility does not check for driver update (only is absent). Practical evidence says so.

However, now in Advanced mode I have only one Power Scheme: “Timers Off (Presentation)”, in contrast I had several ones in previous version of PM (Energy Star, Maximum Performance, Maximum Battery Life, Source Power Optimized and Timers Off). Is it normal for PM ver 1.89? When I had updated my XP up to SP3, and firstly installed new version of PM, I saw “Video Playback” mode in “Choose Power Scheme” window. Then my PM  broken down.

Of course, it is not so critical for my work, but when you use ThinkPad you always except flatness in HW and SW operation…

Thank you again.

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

power manager should deffinitelly show you more schemes, then just this one.

In case it does not, then the installation was incomplete and it was interrupted by reading/creation of the power schemes.

Anyway, when I was reading you first post it realy reminded me on an issue ,that was fixed when the .NET 3.5 was installed and then everything else was updated using System Update.

Also make sure, that you have the latest versions of following apps/drivers:

- power management dirver

- hotkey utility

All this can be found on lenovo.com

Cheers

Paper Tape
Flesh

Thanx for your reply.
I have .Net Frameworks: 1.1, 2.0 (SP2), 3.0 (SP2) and 3.5 (SP1) + 4.0 Client Profile (the list on “Add or Remove Programs”).
I installed the PM Driver and Hotkey utility (via System update).

But I still have only one Power Scheme – Timers off (Presentation).  What else reason it could be?

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

as I see, you have a lot of issues with Power Manager, FN+FX combination, etc.

I assume, you will backup all your date and reinstall the OS with the originally delivered CDs or with the self created Recovery disks.

There are too many issues for one system

Cheers

Paper Tape
Flesh

I agree with you. To be fair, not only ThinkVantage Technology utilities behavior strange. Generally my OS becomes unpredictable (especially system tray sometimes displays minimized applications, and sometimes not, including Bluetooth icon and USB Device Eject).

The first problem occurred when I had turned on Windows Automatic Updates: my Wi-Fi dead. Then I launched TV System Update, then my Power Manager dead and so on…

To sum up, I concluded that this is not ThinkVantage Technology-related issues, but Operating System-related ones.

Thank you for support.

P.S.: if you have any contacts with MS team, please tell them that your users feel discomfort after their ‘Automatic’ updates.

Blue Screen Again
dima054

Basically you need to install it to a folder that will not have any spaces in its path and then it works. God **bleep** it, took a while...