Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
Izmi
Accepted Solution

Power manager: Power off DVD drive

I would like to have an option in power manager to power off (soft-eject) the DVD immediately when it's running on battery. Now, it takes a while until this happens and it seems to use more energy than soft-ejecting the drive through the device manager.

The difference seems to be more than 1 W/h, that is, around 5-10% of a typical office workload. So, this saving is important and easy to achieve.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,230
Solutions: 1,313

Re: Power manager: Power off DVD drive

In the latest version of Thinkvantage Power Manager, there is an option for Activating Battery Stretch, which has an inbuilt option of softejecting your ultrabay DVD drive. The older version of Thinkvantage Power Manager doesn't have this option. Also i assume you are using the Vista OS and not XP right???
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Token Ring
Izmi

[ Edited ]

Hi lead_org,

Yes, I am running Vista.

Good idea!I tried to do what you've proposed. It works until I go through a suspend/resume cycle. Then Power Manager "forgets" that it is running in Battery Stretch mode. So, I have to reactivate this mode again.

So, I am not quite there but close. If Lenovo could consider the current behavior as a bug and resolve it so that Power Manager does not forget its Battery Stretch mode after power events, then this would be close to ideal for me.

Message Edited by Izmi on 01-02-2009 05:18 AM
Token Ring
Izmi

To be clear what I would like: The ability to have Power Manager power off the DVD drive on condition the notebook runs on battery.

What's DOS?
lenovo_tp_user

[ Edited ]

i use TP 510. i dont have the option to switch off optical drive (enable/disable) in "think vantage power manager".

so is there any way to switch off optical drive when running on battery? (other than doing battery stretch)

am loosing many basic features of windows 7(like aero peek view) on enabling battery stretch!

Thanks.

Agotthelf
Topics: 137
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 180

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

I can confirm there´s an option in PM for Win 7 Version 3.59 and it works nice.

Lenovo factory installation on a T510.

PM automatic CD power off switch.jpg

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Token Ring
Izmi

Thanks for following up!
Blue Screen Again
pawian

Hi Everybody

I have the same problem with DVD off but i haven't PM because i work on W8 64bit. Lenovo haven't version of PM on W8 64.

DVD will swich off after 5 min from start computer.