Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
mad_science

Presentation Director Monitor Drop Down Menus Blank

I'm trying to get Presentation Director functioning properly, but there are a couple of screwy things going on:

If I check the properties of the "Capture" profile, it has the resolution of external monitor incorrect. (1920 x 1200 Vs Captured 1024X768). Yes, even after re-capturing.

When I go to edit a profile, the drop-down menus for both the built-in LCD and external monitor for resolution and color quality are blank. Both the standing values and the contents of the drop-downs are blank.

(I'd post a picture, but the work firewall won't let me get to any image hosting options.)

Relevant Info:

W510

nvidia Quadro FX 880M

Newest nvidia drivers

Newest presentation director (4.62)

Got rid of nvidia NView crapware, but the NVidia desktop manager is still present. It actually recognizes the proper resolutions for each display, but doesn't have any good way of quickly switching display setups like PD does.

Any suggestions?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Presentation Director Monitor Drop Down Menus Blank

Presentation Director is nearly obselete starting with T410/T510/W510/X201 systems.  When you connect to an external monitor for the first time, you have to use standard windows methods (e.g. control panel) to configure the device with the settings you want (resolution, colors, orientation, etc).  Your video driver remembers these settings and then applies them automatically the next time you connect to your monitor.  This is called "video driver persistency" and it works by getting a unique ID from the monitor and saving your settings (to registry) with that specific monitor.  So you can do this with any number of monitors and projectors, as long as they have a unique ID, and almost every device manufactured in the last 10 years does.  Presentation Director management methods conflict with video driver persistency, which is why presentation director doesn't work in a way that you might be used to on older thinkpads.  This is also why there isn't a "new" button anymore.

The only time the video driver persistency doesn't work is on old monitors and projectors that don't have a unique ID, then you have to use presentation director to manage those devices.

Hope this helps.

Blue Screen Again
mad_science

If PD is toast, then what would you recommend for the best way to rapidly and reliably switch between the following configurations (that I was going to set up in PD :smileysad:)

--Docked in my cube: External 1920x1200 as primary, TPLCD as secondary

--Mobile: TPLCD as primary, no external

--Presentation 1: TPLCD is primary, presentation on external projector at 1024x768

--Presentation 2: same as above, different projector resolution

I can make it happen through a series of settings changes in windows or the nvidia settings manager, but FN+F7 and picking it off a menu is much better. Seriously, PD was the only Thinkvantage thing I actually appreciated.

You explanation also doesn't explain why PD shows up completely blank in the settings options.

Also, for the record, I'm running XP.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

I assumed you were running XP.  This video driver persistency feature is implemented on XP as well as Vista/Win7.  I don't know why the PD settings are blank.

For your first two scenarios, you should be able to configure that one time manually and then have the video driver automatically remember the settings as you connect and disconnect the display.  First, with no monitor connected, configure the TPLCD how you want it.  Then connect the monitor and configure both it and the TPLCD how you want them.  Then disconnect the monitor and the TPLCD should automatically revert to the settings you specified when the monitor wasn't connected.  Then reconnect the monitor and the settings for both monitor and TPLCD should revert to the settings you specified when the monitor was connected previously.  Have you tried it?  This is a very common configuration scenario that I know many customers are using successfully without the assistance of PD or any other software.

For your last two scenarios, you will just need to experiment to see if the the persistency works or not, like I said it depends on how old the projectors are.  If it doesn't work, or if you are frequently connecting to different projectors, then you should be able to use PD for the projector ONLY!  don't try to use PD to control the TPLCD.