Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del

Problem connecting to the TPM (security device) after upgrading to Vista

After upgrading my R52 to Vista Business, my Client Security Solution no longer works.  I get the following error message:

"There was a problem connecting to the TPM (security device) on this computer. It is possible that anti-virus or firewall software is blocking the connection. A missing or disabled device driver could also cause this problem. Please refer to the online documentation for more information."

I have verified that antivirus and a firewall are not blocking the connection.  I have also verified that there are no missing or disabled device drivers. I have installed all the latest updates through System Update.  The chip is enabled in the BIOS.  Is there something that I'm missing?
Mike Bruder
Lenovo Employee
Myles_Lenovo

Re: Problem connecting to the TPM (security device) after upgrading to Vista

After upgrading to Windows Vista Business, did you also install the Windows Vista version of Client Security Solution?
Ctrl-Alt-Del

I guess I didn't see that there was a Vista specific version.  Can you post a link to it?
Mike Bruder
Lenovo Employee
Myles_Lenovo

I may have been a little unclear. It depends on which versions of Client Security Solution (CSS) and Windows Vista you are running. If you are using Client Security Solution version 8.1 then Windows Vista (32-bit) and Windows XP use the same version of CSS, but Windows Vista (64-bit) uses a different version of CSS.

Here are the links to the current version of Client Security Solution 8.1:
Client Security Solution 8.1 for Windows Vista (32-bit only) and XP
Client Security Solution 8.1 for Windows Vista (64-bit only)

If you already have the correct version of CSS installed, I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.
Ctrl-Alt-Del

Ok, I am running Vista (32-bit) with CSS 8.1, so there must be something else going on.
Mike Bruder
Lenovo Employee
Myles_Lenovo

Can you make sure that you have the current Trusted Platform Module (TPM) driver installed as well?

The driver is available at the following URL:
http://www.lenovo.com/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-58656
Ctrl-Alt-Del

[ Edited ]
Yep, when I attempt to update the driver it tells me that it is up to date.

Message Edited by mjbruder on 03-04-2008 12:59 PM
Mike Bruder
What's DOS?
z61mowner

Hi. I'm having the same problem. Client security, tpm hardware and windows vista business updated. The same error. Thanks for the help because this machine without the security chip+software is just like any ordinary laptop and that's not fair ;-)
Paper Tape
gerrick

Just uninstall CSS. I had this issue on a new T61P. I pulled it out of the box and ran system update and got the error every reboot. Called hardware support and they refused to help. I paid for the $99 software call (was free when IBM made them) and the guy asked did you talk to hardware. His fix was to uninstall Client Security Solution. If you don't want encryption I guess no other downsides exist.  I know this is really lame. This is what the fee based Lenovo live (?) support told me. What total crap!!!!

I did uninstall and reinstall the TPM driver and CSS to no relief. If anyone has an actual fix please post it.

Fanfold Paper
jackptoke

I have experienced similar problem with TPM but of after downgrade from vista to xp.
I looked around and I found something which solve the problem.

Symptom

This error occurs on systems that originally had Windows Vista installed but were downgraded to Windows XP. Windows Vista initializes the security device (TPM) in a way that is not compatible with Windows XP. Once Windows Vista has initialized the TPM, Windows XP cannot use the TPM until it has been cleared from the BIOS setup.

Solution

To clear the TPM from the BIOS, do the following:

1. Turn the computer off.
  2. Turn the computer on and press F1 to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. From the Security menu, locate the option to clear the security device. Sometimes it is referred to as the TPM or TCG feature.
  4. Save and exit the BIOS setup menu.
  5. Restart Windows and enroll in Client Security Solution.

The process should complete successfully. Contact Lenovo technical support if the problem persists.

CMVC Defect #: 388966

However, there is no such menu called TPM nor TCG in the BIOS.  So I went under Security and Security Chip and to Clear Security Chip.  Then all my problem with TPM is solved.  After that I can enroll myself to CSS and manage my password.

Hope this help.
Let there be light!