Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Plaincollar

Problems with Security Chip/ Circuit, CSS, fingerprint reader and my account.

Hi!

I would like to disable the security chip in CSS, at least temporary, and when I do so everything seems to work perfect; I have to draw my finger to pass Bios and to enter Windows and that's it. Obvious I'm / my account are approved by the by the system. The problem starts when i try to enter Password Manager. The fingerprint reader tells me to identify my self but when I draw my finger it says that no finger are registered. So I try to registrate a not yet registered finger. When I do that it inform me that I can't  registrate any finger using current profile/account (I'm forced to delete my current profile to create a new??).

I have in this moment almost total access to the computer with my current profile/account/prints but that stops when trying to enter Password Manager. I don't dare to register a new profile in that situation as it has accept me so far and if do change it, what will happen with my 3 years old profile???

The system accept me, my account and fingerprints in all the log in process but doesn't recognize me or my prints when it tells me to draw my finger to get access to PWM.

Can anybody please tell me what to do?? Any advice?

Best regards//Plaincollar

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Problems with Security Chip/ Circuit, CSS, fingerprint reader and my account.

I'll try to help you, but first please tell me what OS and what versions of the following software you have installed:

Client Security Solution

ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software

You should be able to find the version info in the following ways:

XP:   Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs 

Win7:  Control Panel -> Programs and Features

Punch Card
Plaincollar

Re: Problems with Security Chip/ Circuit, CSS, fingerprint reader and my account.

Hi and thanks for replying.

I'm running OS:

XP SP3

Fingerprint Software: 

5.6.1. 3419

CSS:

R&R:

I know, i'ts not the latest versions:smileyembarrassed:

Regards//Plaincollar

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Plaincollar,

My advice is to upgrade to the latest versions.  Lenovo is not able to support those software versions that are 5+ years old. 

I recommend first uninstalling the software, and then installing the software from the support website.  I do not recommend trying to upgrade without first uninstalling.

If you need help finding/installing the latest versions, let us know.

Punch Card
Plaincollar

[ Edited ]

I was afraid of that. I read about it some time ago and decided not to try that. Maybe it's time for a new beauty. But I will give it a try; to reinstall not upgrade. And yes, thanks for Your offer. I guess I will have at least one more question before I'm done.

Could You please tell me which software I have to un/reinstall??? 

Regards//Plaincollar

Edit:

Sources: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014164

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/tvtcss82mr_0021ww.txt

First of all upgrade to Rescue and Recovery 4.0 or later.

Download and run Client Security Solution 8.x Upgrade Assistant (to preserve the current data and settings for use with Client Security Solution 8.21) and save all data on Private Disk while Client Security Solution 8.21 does not support Private Disk. (Is that facility totally gone after this)?

Update to ThinkVantage Productivity Center 2.0 or later to at least have something like TProductivityC! (Before next step?).

Next step is to uninstall CSS 7.0. (Shouldn't I take some kind of backup except for Private Disk?? (se Upgrade Assistant above)).

At last just follow the install directions.

(Anything about Password Manager and Finger Print Software)?

Am I on the right track???

Thanks i advance//Plaincollar

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

Someotherguy,

Thanks for helping out !

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Plaincollar,

First, uninstall each of those softwares from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs

Next, decide what software you really need on your system.  It sounds like you only care about Fingerprint Software and CSS / Password Manager.

To install Fingerprint Software for XP:  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=tvan-eapfpr

To install CSS / Password Manager for XP:  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=migr-46391

If you actually use Rescue and Recovery and want to install it:  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-76225

Punch Card
Plaincollar

Hi.

Yes, that's almost correct. E.g. Safeguard Private Disk is also a useful feature. And of course R&R. Maybe I just start with Your links and see how it works before I do the other earlier mentioned reinstalling.

Thanks a lot for Your help and I'll keep You informed.

Regards//Plaincollar

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Safeguard PrivateDisk doesn't exist in the latest version of CSS, in fact that software hasn't been supported since 2007.  Just a word of warning.  Make sure you copy all your files out of the private disk volume before trying to upgrade anything.