Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
drixomanbeta

R&R 4.21 not enough space to install

Hi

For some reason R&R keep telling me I don't have enough space on my "Boot sector" to install.  I checked the readme and it said I need 1.5GB. I have 2 separate partition, C: for loading purposes and D: for Windows XP and some leftover space maybe for Linux. I configured C: for at least 2.0 GB (end up being 1.99) and I still have 1.88GB leftover so it should be enough?   I formatted C: in FAT (not in FAT32) thinking I might need it to be like that for Linux stuff.  Maybe that's why R&R complain?

Thanks.

Punch Card
JoeyZhang

Re: R&R 4.21 not enough space to install

When and where did the R&R give you the message "Not enough space"?

I am confuse which OS you are using, XP or Linux?

Serial Port
drixomanbeta

[ Edited ]

sorry for the confusion...too much information

I'm using XP Sp2. I am thinking of dual booting linux but the fact is RR doesn't even install in xp.  If I put in linux it will probably increase complexity greatly. So for the time being let's deal only with Windows.

It show the warning after it extracted/read the installation package stuff...(there is a copy of the installation file in C:smileyhappy:.  I even tried reformat/reinstall xp so now I only have one partition of XP but it still give me the error.  (of course I am implying that my system is not pre-loaded and I wiped my disk long ago, but I don't think that's the problem is it?)

Specifically this warning appear (mine is in Chinese but it's the same message) : “There is not enough free space in the boot sector to install R&R.”

I also found this similar discussion: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85090

Although I am not experienced in this subject to know that the boot sectors size can be even modified?  so rather messing with gparted I like to know what's the problem/what to do before I anything.

Thanks.

Punch Card
JoeyZhang

If it's avaliable, please post a snapshot of your disk partition. Start->run-> type "diskmgmt.msc", then catch the picture in this box. I'd like to give you my idea on this issue.

Serial Port
drixomanbeta

Note that I recently reformatted my drive into one huge (149gb partition) --don't know if you caught that in my previous post edit-- however I still get the same error...

Sorry the following picture is in chinese so...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2739/4501679668_e1f849ced6_o.jpg

here is the required disk managament summary

Punch Card
JoeyZhang

No problem, I am Chinese native-speaker.

Could you please answer the follow questions:

1. what is your computer Model? XXXX-XXX in the behind of machine. it looks like your computer is not a new one.

2. Which the RNR version  do you use? RnR 3.1 or RnR 4.1 or RnR 4.21( I am sure that you could not use RnR 4.3  for it only is used in Win7)

3. If it is ok ,please catch the pic when RnR give you a error message.

Thank you

Serial Port
drixomanbeta

Model Number:  T500 2242-CTO

R&R version 4.21

here is the error image

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2750/4501752574_59f9264d33_o.jpg

Punch Card
JoeyZhang

drixomanbeta wrote:

Model Number:  T500 2242-CTO

R&R version 4.21

here is the error image

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2750/4501752574_59f9264d33_o.jpg

It's obviously that your MBR have problem. I suggest that you download CleanMBR32.exe from Lenovo.

I am sorry that  I don't find the file on Lenovo web. I can send the file by msn, please give me a private message.

Serial Port
drixomanbeta

So how do I use this?

Punch Card
JoeyZhang

When you double click the file, it will uncompress to C:\IBMTOOLS\rrtools\MBR_CLEAN.

Double-click CleanMBR32.exe

In CMD, press Y