Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Tiger97

R&R Rescue and Recovery scheduled backups fail

Hi all,

I have a ThinkPad T520 running Windows 7 x64 and R&R 4.5.  I am receiving this error message when my automatic scheduled backup attempts to run.:

"The destination selected, 'C:\RRbackups\SZ\816485549B51CB11-9514EFE666A6B0F6', does not appear to have enough space available to accommodate the backup.  Would you like to attempt the backup anyway?"

If I answer "Yes," the backup eventually fails due to insufficient disk space.

This error does not make sense to me because my backup location is a network drive, not my ThinkPad C: drive.  I have never used my C: drive as a backup location.  Moreover, I have plenty of free disk space on all of my hard disks.  My ThinkPad hard disk is divided into three logical drives:

C:          Windows7_OS               37 GB free of 100 GB

D:          Files                               335 GB free of 348 GB

Q:          Lenovo_Recovery         7 GB free of 16 GB

My Z: network drive has 395 GB free of 457 GB total.

As I mentioned above, this error only seems to happen when automatic scheduled backups are triggered.  If if manually start a backup job from the R&R interface, the backup runs successfully.

Have you seen this behavior?  Any thoughts or ideas?  Thanks.

Fanfold Paper
royokelly

Re: R&R Rescue and Recovery scheduled backups fail

I have the same problem. It appears that the tool is using the built-in defaults rather than the destination that is selected when you set-up the unattended operation. There is very little on the web regarding this issue, possibly suggesting that not to many people are using the tool and fewer still use it in unattended mode.

Broadband 3G
sclexman

Please refer to the thread I opened, R and R 4.5 incremental backups revert to local drive, posted 11/22/2011 or so. 

Check the task scheduler entry, probably reverting to LOCAL drive VS network.

Also, check the C: drive \RRbackups for backups.  You may have to change the security to allow you to view the folder.  And finally, go into R and R, VIEW ALL BACKUPS  to see where they are stored.

Punch Card
Tiger97

[ Edited ]

Yes, sclexman is correct--one has to change the task scheduler entry.  In my case, I changed "backup location=L" to "backup location=N" to point to my network drive.

I still have an unresolved problem with incremental backups.  My current configuration calls for a maximum of four incremental backups.  Once that limit is reached, previous installations of Rescue & Recovery would merge the oldest incremental backup and then execute a new incremental backup.  On this system however, the backup fails with an error message (I can't recall it right now).  When I manually delete the existing backups, R&R will execute the full backup and the four subsequent incremental backups, but then fail again when the limitation on incremental backups is reached.

Broadband 3G
sclexman

Engine: br_funcs.exe - version is '04.32.23.00'  (<<<< this is hex<<<<<<)

Sun Jul 01 07:25:00 2012 Verbatim: MergeIncrementals(DriveLetter='C:', Destination='D:\RRbackups\SZ\CC5F1FA34DEF30F6-B487057ED9063ADC', Local='0', High level='2'

Sun Jul 01 07:25:36 2012 Verbatim: Disk space available for merge = 0x0000002b05b11000

Sun Jul 01 07:25:36 2012 Verbatim: Approximate disk space needed for merge = 0x000000665d21e857

Sun Jul 01 07:25:36 2012 Engine: Not enough space available to complete the merge - dwRet = 0x00000584

Sun Jul 01 07:25:36 2012 Verbatim: MergeIncrementals exiting with return code 0x00000584

======

Check C:\SWSHARE\engine.log for the above Messages. I have had problems with merge for the last

several releases on R&R.  Across vista and windows 7 platforms.  After reinstall, I have had the merge work, maybe 1 time at best.  Workaround: Set Max incrementals to 32 to Avoid the Merge.  It you translate the HEX disk space needed, it comes out to some OUT OF THIS WORLD size.  I have barked at the support center, to no avail.   

Punch Card
Tiger97

Thanks sclexman, I have the same entries in my log file.  I am disappointed that Lenovo has not developed a resolution to a core bug like this.  Have you looked at alternatives (ie, Windows Backup) or should we just cross our fingers and hope for a new version of R&R for Windows 8?

Broadband 3G
sclexman

I try to love (r&r). That is  (was) the best reason to buy a Lenovo! But when us guys get pissed about REVERT to

local, WHO is testing this software?? DAH. Yes i have a computer science degree. Yes, i am a problem solver on Mainframe internals..   And i Diagnose the R&R issues, and someone in sechwuan aint got a clue.   If you aint got recovery, u aint got **hit. Go ATL IBM, you all clueless also.  Mark lenovo is the best.

Broadband 3G
sclexman

Add SOMEOTHERGUY, Raleigh.  He is most nice!

Broadband 3G
sclexman

[ Edited ]

Thanks TIger97 for explaining the Issue(s)  IN laymans terms. WE zeroed in on it.  I teach disaster recovery, etc. Technical, yes. You had 2 issues. xxx i dont know remember  the Exact  msg, etc.

.    I Enjoyed every part of your thread!