Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
carl_lyn

R&R backup on my external drive... can't reach preloaded files on external drive

Hi forum - hope that you can help me here: 

I created a R&R on my external drive, which already contains all my files and documents from the last 2-3 years.

It installed the R&R succesfiully, but now when I connect the external HDD, I can only see the R&R cbd-drive files and not see any of all my folders and files that I had on the hard drive.

I didnt see any thing about R&R would delete existing files and the drive... how do I roll back in order to access my old files?..

really hope that you can help me, as the files are of great importance.

thank you in advanced!

Paper Tape
carl_lyn

Re: R&R backup on my external drive... can't reach preloaded files on external drive

note:

I using a lenovo w520

The external HD shows that 500+ GB is used... so the files must be there somewhere...

Paper Tape
carl_lyn

Re: R&R backup on my external drive... can't reach preloaded files on external drive

When i insert the USB Disk, Windows mounts cbd_drive (F.)

There are boot and factoryrecovery folders and usb.tag and winRE.wim files.

Paper Tape
carl_lyn

Just read this:

02-10-2011 11:41 AM

jfatlenovo, welcome to the forum,

the difference is as follows; if you plan to create your backups using R&R to external network or hard drives the "boot media" will enable you to access these backups after booting from it. 

** Very important consideration; if you choose to make an external hard drive bootable this process will delete the files you already have stored on it - back it up first.

does this mean that my files are deleted????

I dont recall R&R ever to say anything about formatting / deleting existing files... this is terrible..

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

I don't know how to recover your files, but I don't think R&R did this.  It seems to me that you created factory recovery media on your USB HDD and answered "yes" to the following message box that was displayed:

factory_recovery.jpg

That's the only way I know to end up with "cbd_drive" with a factoryrecovery folder...

What's DOS?
mwech

so the same thing just happened to me on my brand new lenovo x220. what a complete disaster.

I saved the recovery media and boot onto my existing external hard-drive and it erased everything else, including video too big to have saved anywhere else. I very carefully read every single panel that came up and read all the instructions in the user guide pdf. there was nothing that even hinted at loss of all my other data. boo, lenovo.

it seems this might be a good place for improvement as no other file added to an external hard drive would be expected to erase all existing files. this is an unexpected result and no logical warning is given in either the user guide or during the backup. what's worse, I can't make another copy of the media.

can I even use my external hard drive anymore or is it now as useless? 

the program allowing me instant backup, etc is also erased. wow.

Paper Tape
bdgartner

You should look at your software again (w520 version) because it just did this to me without asking...

Rediculous.

Broadband 3G
sclexman

A warning to any user.  If you are creating BOOTable material, I would never use a USB-hdd, 2nd HDD etc  with my loved pre-existing data.

(1) For create recovery media, the message could say format (and all data will be erased on device).

(2) The same exists for creating Rescue media.(standalone RNR boot).  I backup to my 2nd HDD.  Every install of RNR will also install the bootable RNR standalone.  Therer is a box, which is unchecked, it says Delete exisiting files. What delete RNR boot files or the WHOLE drive. (the whole drive is the answer).

A better worded Message would help.

Paper Tape
bdgartner

Other back up utilities have created folders on the drive (usb or sata whatever) example windows 7 backup. Bootable or whatever RN...whatever jargon does not matter. The answer is simple people; who know what to do, will do it correctly; for the rest of us the back up utiltiy does not work as expected. There is a pop up but it says nothing about wiping your drive clean. While I appreciate many of the utilties my laptop came with this one should simply be corrected to inform the layman.

What's DOS?
sillyglue

hi.  i am panicking now because i just expeirenced the same problem and have lost my files.  can you tell me if you ever found a fix to this and were able to recover your information?  i would REALLY appreciate your help.