Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
aesc
Accepted Solution

R&R - need to re-create rescue and recovery disk

I created a rescue & recovery disk, foolishly, on an SD card, not knowing that my ThinkPad couldn't boot from an SD card. I bought a similar-sized USB drive and cloned it onto the USB drive but it still won't boot from the USB stick, something about incorrect partition table size or something. So I want to use the R&R program itself to create a recovery disk, correctly, onto a USB stick this time, but now I can't because the program says it will only let me make one! How can I fix this? I figure there's an entry in the registry I need to delete.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: R&R - need to re-create rescue and recovery disk

[ Edited ]

Aloha and welcome (just got back from the Big Island myself).

Does this help?  Lenovo - You can have only one copy of the Microsoft Windows operating system.

Here's a local thread: Boot Media

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
aesc

It's working! I knew it was an easy fix. Thanks! Hopefully this will work if I make it for the USB stick.

What's DOS?
aesc

Well I created the recovery disk but I still can't get it to work, is there a special way to boot from it? I hit F12 at boot and select to boot from USB, and it just thinks for a bit and puts me back at the same boot selection screen. Is there something particular I'm supposed to do to test it?

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Did you set the partition on the flash drive active?  Here's a link to a link that may help.  Don't do the "clean" or "format" operations - that will erase the drive.  Just use DISKPART to select the partition and set it active.

Creating x100e recovery media on USB stick

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
aesc

OK, I rewrote the partition table and re-created the recovery disk and now I can boot from it. One follow-up question though. I thought, from reading posts about other Lenovo recovery disks, that booting from a recovery disk would give one the opportunity to delete the recovery partition and reclaim that disk space. I couldn't see an option for doing anything other than doing a system restore, so my follow-up question is, how should I erase the recovery partition now that I have a recovery disk (and is this a bad idea? I know how to copy the recovery disk. And this USB drive is water-resistant and shock-proof, so I don't think it's going anywhere).

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

What size is the recovery "disk"?  By that I mean how much data?  is it just the bootable R&R program or does it include the full recovery image?  If It's just a CD-worth of data, it's just the bootable part.

If you're convinced you have the full image, you should be able to delete the recovery image partition by opening Q: from within windows.  (Or right clicking, my memory fails me)  You should be offered the option of deleting Q: and adding the recovered space to C:.

This is one way to create media.  That option offers to first "burn" media and then delete Q: - if you haven't already made your media.

Call me old school, but I'd be more comfortable with a set of optical recovery media before deleting Q:

Z.

What's DOS?
aesc

The data on the disk is 9.31GB, this is about the size of the recovery partition so it's definitely the full recovery image. Optical disks would be nice but this is new school--this computer doesn't have an optical drive. And it's because it has a relatively small 128GB SSD that I want to erase Q: in the first place. Too bad it can't boot off an SD card because those come with switches on the side to make them read-only. I just have to remember not to erase this disk. The only problem is since it has almost 6GB of free space it's tempting to try and make a multi-boot disk out of it (with Ubuntu, and Chromium!). I'd probably back up the disk first if I decided to try that.

I see how to format Q:, but not to integrate the partition into C:. Is that possible?

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

On my machiines, just clicking on Q: in windows explorer brought up a window offering to delete and add the space to C:

If you have to do it manually in disk management, you should be able to delete it and then expand C:  if your disk layout has Q: immediately after C:.  I tend to use gParted on a linux live "CD" for this purpose, but it should be do-able in windows.

(I'm so old school that I bought a USB DVD drive just to avoid the modern age...)

Z.