Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
joelfisch

R&R rescue and recover - cannot map to network drive

I have an X61 running WinXP pro.  I want to configure a weekly secondary backup to my network drive, but am unable to map to it. The drive is otherwise easily accesible, both via a mapped letter, or the full path - e.g. \\192.168.1.3\netshare.  But I keep getting a "mapping the network drive was unsuccessful" message.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?  My alternative is to buy another external HD - something I would like to avoid.  Suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Joey
Lenovo Staff
bloo

Re: R&R rescue and recover - cannot map to network drive

Try mapping the computer name instead of the IP address.  If the lookup isn't working, add the computer name to your hosts file so the computer name can be resolved properly.

--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Punch Card
joelfisch

bloo, I am very grateful for your response. A few updates - There is no ability in the R&R network mapping popup to do a lookup or browse. So you need to put in the string. I thought the problem might be with my home network drive, so I tool the notebook into the office.  Our IT guy tried to map it to one of the office network drives - using both name, IP, etc. - no luck. But where it gets interesting (I guess), is that when he tried to configure R&R to map to network drive from HIS notebook, which has an earlier version of R&R, (mine is verson 4 by the way)  he had no problem.
Any thoughts?  mabye uninstall and reinstall?  Anyone else having this issue?

Joel
Punch Card
joelfisch

Re: R&R rescue and recover - cannot map to network drive - cannot reinstall either

so it gets worse! I uninstalled R&R thinking a fresh install might help.  Using the TP system update - install gets to 90 some % and then I get an error message - something about nspec.exe.  So now I cannot reinstall.  This is so disappointing that mission critical software like R&R is so buggy as to be virtually useless!
Punch Card
joelfisch

latest update - I was able to manually re-install. version 4.20.0511.00 - but still cannot map to network drive.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Lenovo Employee
RussellGantman

[ Edited ]
====================
I have an X61 running WinXP pro.  I want to configure a weekly secondary backup to my network drive, but am unable to map to it. The drive is otherwise easily accesible, both via a mapped letter, or the full path - e.g. \\192.168.1.3\netshare.  But I keep getting a "mapping the network drive was unsuccessful" >message.
=================

Does RNR prompt you every time to enter the server, share and user name / password, or does it
just keep giving you the error message?

Also: What is the OS of your server?
One more thing, can you send me the following files located in the C:\SWSHARE folder:
rr.log
engine.log

Message Edited by RussellGantman on 04-07-2008 12:30 PM
Punch Card
joelfisch

Russell
It is a SimpleShare NAS - so I guess the os is embedded linux. But I had the same problem - the network name would not resolve - trying to connect up to a shared drive at the office - in that case, a windows server - not sure which version. i will send you the logs directly. 
Lenovo Staff
bloo

So at this point, someone else's system in the office was able to map, but your was not, and is not, even after a reinstall.  Check your network settings.  Try to net use the network share to see if that works.  Chances are, some other issue is at play here.
--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Punch Card
joelfisch

Bloo, as I mentioned earlier, I have no problem mapping, accessing, both the NAS and other PC hd's on my network using my computer, firefox, etc. The only problem is when I try to map via R&R. Our IT guy who was able to map has an earlier version of R&R.  So it would seem that the problem is with the program.
Punch Card
joelfisch

more elements of buggy behaviour - I cannot get the SW to pop up the network drive mapping window.  If I change both destination options to none, or local HD, and then change one back to Network, it should ask me for mapping, or alternatively have some way to access and modify the pointer to the location on the network.  But nothing happens.