Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
takosan

R&R v4.31 & free space

Greetings! I've been using Rescue & Recovery v4.31 with my X220T successfully for a while. It stopped backing up last night & even the manual trigger this morning didn't work. While looking through the log file in c:\swshare there are entries that seem to state the cause of error:

Sat Mar 03 11:04:21 2012 RescueRecovery: Backup failed. Free Space High=0x0000010A Low=0x66652000.

Interesting enough the X220T has a 320GB drive & the external drive R&R is backing up to is a 2TB drive that has about 1.01TB free.

So is something reporting the free space incorrectly? Or is the problem elsewhere?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Rob

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: R&R v4.31 & free space

takosan wrote:

Sat Mar 03 11:04:21 2012 RescueRecovery: Backup failed. Free Space High=0x0000010A Low=0x66652000.

takosan,

that line from the log file indicates your backup device has about 1 TB of free space.  (0x10A66652000 = 1.1 trillion bytes).  So that is not the problem.  Something else is preventing the backup.  Can you post the full log?  Please zip up the entire contents of c:\swshare and attach it here, or else post it to dropbox/yousendit/etc and post the link.  I'm happy to take a look.

Punch Card
takosan

someotherguy,

Appreciate it --- here's the link: zipped error log

Again thank you for your efforts! Second read through the logs I think I spotted the 'merge' error right above the last entry ... I hope you can give me guidance to resolve this.

Thank you!

Rob

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

takosan,

That wasn't the entire contents of the c:\swshare folder, so I can't tell exactly what happened, but the log does show the merge failed.  Merge means all your incremental backup slots are used up, so the earliest two incremental backups have to be merged into one in order to make room for the new backup.  How long have you been taking backups with R&R?  Usually when this happens one of the incremental backups got corrupted somehow.  I recommend deleting all the backups, starting with the most recent one first, and then starting over with a new backup.

Punch Card
takosan

someotherguy,

Sorry for my misunderstanding - I guess I was too happy with finally finding the R&R log that I thought it was only that file.

I thought your handle was familiar - you helped me with the similar problem back in November of last year. At that time I didn't know of where to look for the log file http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/R-amp-R-max-of-incremental-bkups-allowed-value/...

So after the previous incident where I deleted all the backups per your recommendations, it was working great until this past week. I take precautions like making sure the external hard drive I'm backing up to is on UPS since the backup runs several hours.

Is there a particular log that will tell which incremental is corrupt? Or is it process of elimination? If so then just deleting all & creating a new base seems more efficient & gets the job done of having a backup.

Thank you for your continued input!

Rob 

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

takosan,

According to your R&R settings, what is your max number of incremental backups?

How often do you take backups?  Any idea how many backups you have taken successfully since the last time you had this trouble and deleted all the backups?

The merge happens when you have exceeded the max number of incremental backups.  I am wondering if the merge NEVER works on your system, or if there have been cases in the past where the merge worked but it begins to fail after some time.

Punch Card
takosan

someotherguy,

I'm current away from homebase so I can't get listing from "view all backups" but I hadn't changed the default so I thought it was set at 5. I know I may have missed some but I have it scheduled to backup every weekend (overnight). I think the merge was fine b/c I saw these entry when the backup were *supposedly* successful (on couple occassions I went through a restore of a file as backup is only good if one can actually restore <g>):

Sat Feb 25 01:46:11 2012 RescueRecovery: Running: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\br_funcs.exe merge destination="G:\RRbackups\SZ\81240DD79951CB11-9B6ACD7F807BD70D" drive=C: pw=0 uuid=0 level=2
Sat Feb 25 03:27:38 2012 RescueRecovery: Running: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\br_funcs.exe merge destination="G:\RRbackups\SZ\81240DD79951CB11-9B6ACD7F807BD70D" drive=Q: pw=0 uuid=0 level=2

In retrospect now I understand that 'merge' was the root cause last year too as incrementing that max number was the temp workaround.

When I get back to homebase I'll get the list of backups kept by R&R. Looking again at the rr log it seems like I restarted on Nov. 19th after the prior incident & did backups on the following dates: 11/26, 12/3, 12/10, 12/18, 12/25, 12/31, 1/8, 1/14, 1/21, 1/28, 2/4, 2/11, 2/17, 2/25, 3/2 (failure starts).

If zipping up the *whole* swshare will still help to uncover why the backups get corrupt (leading to merge failure) please let me know. If there are no PII in that directory then I can zip the folder & put in dropbox.

Thank you for your continued help!

Rob