Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
dixis

Rescue& Recovery 4.3 wont bacup to USB drive

Hi!

After I did a clean Install of Win7 and installed all the drivers and lenovo software on my W500, I created a Backup on DVDs. Everything worked fine.

After I had my Software installed (Firefox, skype etc) i wanted to do my basis bacup on my USB backup drive. Thats where things went wrong...

I had the Thinkpad running all night, but still it was just gathering "system information" ... when I tried to cancel the backup, well I couldn't... rnr wont quit.... i had to kill the process via taskmanager to shut rnr down.

Now I tried to whipe my external drive again.... still same...

I reinstalled R&R... still same....

Has anyone the same problem?

btw.... running R&R 4.3 - most resent.... so that shouldnt be the problem...

Thanks for helping..

dixis

802.11n
TheDude

Re: Rescue& Recovery 4.3 wont bacup to USB drive

Does R&R 4.3 support Win7?  Win 7 is supposed to have an internal backup tool as well, take a look at it as an option.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
SCSI Port
Contrarian

Re: Rescue& Recovery 4.3 wont backup to USB drive

I do backups monthly on one of my machines.  Last night I plugged in my Simpletech FV--U35/1TB USB external drive and found I could not load R&R.  This machine runs under Vista Business 32.  I recently put in the latest BIOS on my T500 2081CTO and updated every driver I could find on the Support and Downloads site.  Up to this event, my system was running better than it ever did and monthly backups were smooth.

So I went to Windows Backup and Restore and found the same symptoms you did with Leonov R&R.  On the second attempt the system froze--clock stopped, Bluetooth mouse pointer wouldn't move, yet the HD light showed activity.  Touching the external drive left me with the impression it was not doing any read and write--no vibration, no flickering lights.  The system was locked solid.  I gave up.

Not completing a backup is very disturbing.

W520, 4270CTO, W510, 4318CTO; (2)T500, 2081CTO; Y560, 064657U, Y530, 405166U; T61p, 6465CTO, A31p, and L2461x Multi-touch Monitor, Mini Dock Plus Series 3
Serial Port
dixis

Hi, I now tried do backup to the local hd.... did not work either.... So I restored my clean install with the cds I had (I had no problem getting into the predesktop area....) Then I tried to backup everything to my external drive... and evoila.... it worked.... no I try to make a backup after every software install, maybe I find the bad guy....
Serial Port
dixis

Update on the status....

After installing skype firefox, thunderbird etc.... i started another backup session and...... ist ist running... and gathering system information....and so on... but.... the process is verry verry slow... when locking at my HD (where the backup is temporarily saved) i can follow the data growth byte by byte.... it is like downloading a 5 gb file through a 25k modem again....

Last 10 minutes 5 MB..... so when I had it running for 7 hours 2 nights ago and still wasn't finnished..... I guess this will take 2-3 days!!!

Has anyone an idea what the problem is? installing firefox, thunderbird, skype and office cant be the problem or have I missed something?

When I can shut down the RnR backup service in a week "fg" i will try the integrated Backup Service of win 7

Blue Screen Again
Mack909

What do you mean by clean install. I mean was it an upgrade or install on formatted hard drive. If it's a new install on clean hard drive I don't think you have the Q & S partitions and perhaps that's why it doesn't work.

Serial Port
dixis

Hi!

My problem is not the Service partition.... I can boot into it from my external drive or my Recovery CD.

My problem is, that in Win7, after i installt the Apps and run the backup it is very very slow.... so because I didn want to wait a year i broke it off!

(my installation was on an whiped HD, but the problem is not the service partition.....)

My idea of the problem is, that RnR can't cope with some data on my installation, but I can't figure out which part it is....

Blue Screen Again
Mack909

Mine worked ok and I have firefox installed so I know it's not that. I went ot preferences and selected my Seagate usb desktop drive as the backup target and it started ok. The program said it'd take about 3 hours to back up 50gb. Don't know if this will help or not in your case but mine works ok on T500 with an Upgrade to Windows 7. Best of luck!

Serial Port
dixis

Thanks, maybe I try again tonight..... I did a backup with the integrated WIN7 tool.... but thats not my prefered way....

PS: sorry for my english.... i am from austria....

Blue Screen Again
Mack909

I used Thinkvantage Productivity on desktop-security, protection and recovery -back up data-launch advanced Rescue and Recovery- Back up your hard drive-Preferences-used arrow to find my external usb hard drive- clicked apply and then ok 2 times and backup started. Hope this helps you. This is on a T500 2081-CTO